Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
gryffindor (67), KevinSweeney (57), latinflavor815 (52), latin_flavor_815 (52), RTMark (33), sabooka (35), southpaw10 (46)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, 3 invisible), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63553 Topics
444026 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#159231 - 05/31/07 12:35 PM Anti-depressants
AJC Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Illinois, USA
Who here has any experience with these types of drugs? What are the advantages? What are the side-effects? Any bad experiences? I'm so "ANTI-CHEMICAL" that I have never allowed myself to consider anything like this to help me. But my wife says I'm showing signs that I am getting further and further depressed.

What do you guys know/think?

-Andrew

#159260 - 05/31/07 07:06 PM Re: Anti-depressants [Re: AJC]
scotia1 Offline

I've tried several different ones in the past. At first they seemed to help, but as time went on I had to take higher and higher dosages to have the same effect. In the end (after a couple years) it seemed like I was getting more depressed. I also gained quite a bit of weight, which made me even more depressed. When I went off the drugs I had major side-effects which later I learned were withdrawal symptoms. I was in bed for 2 weeks just trying to wean myself of them.

Some people say they help, but personally I'm trying other ways to deal with depression. I now am drug free, exercise often, have taken on various interests to take my mind of the bad stuff , and have found a good circle of friends to talk to when I feel the need. This doesn't always work, as I still have depressing days and probably always will. However, I don't think I will ever go back to anti-depressants. However again, some people say they work. I'm just one person.

Scotia

#159262 - 05/31/07 07:42 PM Re: Anti-depressants [Re: scotia1]
mark250676 Offline

Loc: England
Wish I could say otherwise but I had the same negative experiences. Was on citolapram and the doses keep going up, depression kept coming back. So I took the decision, against medical advice, to withdraw myself from them. I wouldn't recommend that either!!

Day at a time again now.

#159263 - 05/31/07 07:43 PM Re: Anti-depressants [Re: mark250676]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
aint worth shit

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#159265 - 05/31/07 07:54 PM Re: Anti-depressants [Re: OKIE MIKE]
mack Offline

Loc: new mexico
I am currently taking antidepressants .The positive is that they do help somewhat. My depression is nowhere near as severe as it used to be.
The negatives are; they are expensive, some of the side affects are bothersome at times; dry mouth, increased apetite,muscle aches and pains. Drowsiness ( I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat sometimes)
I would never have agreed to taking these medications had I known how hard it is to 'get off' them. I would have sought some other means of treating depression.
They do seem to work miracles for some people. But I feel that I do not have the emotions I used to. It would have to be a pretty traumatic event for me to get 'worked up' about, while taking these drugs.

#159302 - 06/01/07 03:50 AM Re: Anti-depressants [Re: AJC]
Morning Star Offline

Loc: Home

DEPRESSION is a sign of disconnection, or repression of the soul within. And the best way to reconnect, ot to release this pressure within, is by opening up to the divine.

So, prayer is the best anti-depressant one can ever take. Its fast, effective and it is free.

Love n Light

Morning Star

Why Don't People Heal, by Caroline Myss; 30 days to clean up your vibrations - Abraham-Hicks

#159327 - 06/01/07 10:14 AM Re: Anti-depressants [Re: Morning Star]
pain4ever Offline

Morning Star....

Its great that you can have an outlook like that, however prayer can not fix a chemical imbalance like depression!

I know without my meds I will have depression and mood swings, no matter how good things are going, no matter well I am deal ing with things. Like I was told in the hospital....some people have to take meds for depression because it is a medical condition just like diabetes. You can not pray away diabetes!!

Not to get rude here man but that kind of advice, to someone who may need medication for depression, is wreckless and dangerous!!!! Please be careful.

AJC...

Please seek the advice of a qualified medical professional!!

Brian

#159330 - 06/01/07 10:23 AM Re: Anti-depressants [Re: pain4ever]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

i was forced to take zoloft as a condition of my release from detention ,started out with half a pill a day ,going to a whole one after a week , it made the depression worse ,if i had not stopped taking it on my own im not sure id be here now. i told the t that it made me worse and he was so shocked,then i read the paper that came with it and it said it could make depression worse and might make me think about suicide,woulda been a real good idea to tell me that from the start. i agree with you brian prayer sounds like trying to stop a train just by wishing it away.

#159331 - 06/01/07 10:27 AM Re: Anti-depressants [Re: shadowkid]
pain4ever Offline

SK,

It may take a bit to find the right meds. Some may make it worse but once the right ones...or combinations or a couple....is found it makes your healing journey so much easier!!!

#159337 - 06/01/07 10:44 AM Re: Anti-depressants [Re: pain4ever]
Paul1959 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
AJC
It all depends on what meds you are talking about. Prozac? Wellbutrin? Zoloft? They are all so different. Some may save your life, others will simply not work or make it worse. But remember, they are just a tool used to fix something. After the washing machine is fixed, you don't need to keep the screwdriver in it. You might need them for a few weeks, months, but rarely ever are these prescribed for a lifetime. Antichemical is good for your environment, but if your body's chemicals are screwed up, then you don't have that luxury. Talk, talk, talk to all your doctors. They will help figure out the dose and drug based on your feelings. I have used Xanax on and off for a week after my dad died. It really helped. All these drugs take the edge off the anxiety, sadness, paranoia, and rushing thoughts. You are then able to fix the problem that caused them by therapy and processing. These drugs do work. You may just have to find the right one for you.
Paul

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.