Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
4 registered (Rich1967, Scott1962, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63800 Topics
445512 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#158533 - 05/27/07 03:21 PM Police Detain Gay Activists During Wild Protest
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA

Updated:2007-05-27 12:40:30
Police Detain Gay Activists During Wild Protest
By Guy Faulconbridge
Reuters
MOSCOW (May 27) - Russian police detained gay protesters calling for the right to hold a Gay Pride parade in central Moscow on Sunday while nationalists shouting "death to homosexuals" punched and kicked the demonstrators.

Jump Below: Watch Gay Rights Activists Beaten in Moscow

Talk About It: Post Thoughts
Riot police detained the protesters, including two European parliamentarians, as they tried to present a petition asking Moscow Mayor Yuri Luzhkov, who has called gay marches satanic acts, to lift a ban on the parade.

Nationalists and extreme Russian Orthodox believers held icons and denounced homosexuality as "evil" while a group of thick-set young men turned up with surgeon's masks, which they said would protect them from the " gay disease."

"We are defending our rights ," said a young gay man named Alexey, with blood pouring from his nose after he was beaten up by a man screaming "homosexuals are perverts" opposite the mayor's office. His attacker was detained.

"This is terrible but I am not scared. This is a pretty scary place, a pretty scary country if you are gay . But we won't give up until they allow us our rights ," he said.

British gay rights activist Peter Tatchell was knocked to the ground and kicked twice. When he got up he was punched in the face again and taken away by two riot policemen.

Gay Rights Activists Beaten in Moscow

Hundreds of riot police lined Tverskaya street in central Moscow and plain-clothes police mingled with a large number of foreign and Russian journalists.

Parade organiser Nikolai Alexeyev told Reuters by telephone from a police station that about 30 gay activists had been detained. Police said about 20 people were detained.

"We are sitting in the police station right now. We were detained outside the mayor's office when we tried to present the petition," said Alexeyev. "They are keeping us in the cells overnight and we will be in court tomorrow."

Marco Cappato, an Italian member of the EU parliament, was also detained at the protest but later released.

GAY TOLERANCE

Russia decriminalised homosexuality in 1993 but tolerance is not widespread.

Most Popular - Last 24 Hours
Lindsay Lohan Cited on Suspicion of DUI
Mayor of Tornado Stricken Town Resigns
Town With U.S. Border Through Library Worries Feds
Records Show Maker of Tainted Food Harassed Pet Owners
Boy Shoots Wild Boar Said to Dwarf 'Hogzilla'
"We believe these perverts should not be allowed to march on the streets of Moscow, the third Rome, a holy city for all Russians," said Igor Miroshnichenko, who said he was an Orthodox believer who had come to support the riot police.

"It (homosexuality) is satanic," he told Reuters. One man holding a crucifix threatened to beat up any gay person he saw.

Richard Fairbrass, a gay singer with the British pop group Right Said Fred, was punched in the face and kicked by anti- gay activists while speaking to Reuters in an interview.

"We understand this is a gay event and so we came down here today," Fairbrass told Reuters before being hit. Blood dripped from his face after the attack.

Volker Beck, a German Green Party politician and gay rights campaigner, was hit in the face with eggs before being detained by riot police. "We didn't do anything," he told Reuters as he was led away.

Germany's Green Party Chairwoman Claudia Roth called on German Chancellor Angela Merkel to raise the issue of rights with President Vladimir Putin at next month's G8 summit.

"It has been shown once again today that human rights are systematically abused in Putin's Russia ," she said in a statement. Beck was later released.

"It is very conspicuous when people are arrested in front of the mayor's office when they were doing nothing other than trying to present a peaceful petition," said Scott Long, a rights activist with Human Rights Watch who observed the events.

"There was no real attempt to separate the two sides and that led to people being beaten up," he said. "I would call on the Russian authorities to protect freedom of assembly, protect freedom of expression and protect demonstrators."

Copyright 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2007-05-27 11:05:

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#158534 - 05/27/07 03:23 PM Re: Police Detain Gay Activists During Wild Protest [Re: markgreyblue]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

great, i am sure those were satanic flamingos who raised those chicks.

#158536 - 05/27/07 03:34 PM Re: Police Detain Gay Activists During Wild Protest [Re: markgreyblue]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Wow...."surgeons masks to protect them from the 'gay disease'...."

*just shaking my head*

#158537 - 05/27/07 03:43 PM Re: Police Detain Gay Activists During Wild Protest [Re: EGL]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

at least social groups are demanding rights - hopefully this will start a ball rolling

for greater acceptance, freedoms, traditions and laws-

....rome wasn't built in a day....!

Edited by markgreyblue (05/27/07 03:43 PM)

#158541 - 05/27/07 04:20 PM Re: Police Detain Gay Activists During Wild Protest [Re: markgreyblue]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Mark, you guessed it, even the cops who for many are closet gays, will turn on their own.
Would I drink out of a cup after a gay man had drunk from it, yes,
I would, but I am not as crazy as the majority.

Why? Do we have to marginalize those ppl who are honest about their sexuality while those others are in their own denial of their own
sexuality and take it out on those who liberate themselves,

ste

annoyed

#158553 - 05/27/07 06:27 PM Re: Police Detain Gay Activists During Wild Protest [Re: reality2k4]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
I used to do volunteer work with homeless teens--many of them were hustling, and they all said the most abusive johns they had were cops.

Then again, I had a friend who was one of the few openly gay cops in Washington, who stopped a potential bashing when we were walking together in the Pride Parade. (He'd run forward and collared the guy before I'd even noticed what was happening.)

It's changing, but pretty slowly.

#158572 - 05/27/07 11:12 PM Re: Police Detain Gay Activists During Wild Protest [Re: MemoryVault]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
Its like Nazi Germany all over again!!!!

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.