Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
5 registered (Suwanee, BraveFalcon, imharpo, Bill61, 1 invisible), 65 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62506 Topics
438068 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#156653 - 05/17/07 12:04 PM BIG DANGER FOR MAC USERS - heads up!!!!!
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
fyi - i stopped by a mac repair shop the other day on the way to a doctors appointment - and

i asked - why my mac laptop throws of this energy stuff and a lot of heat?

he said - "yes - they do throw off a lot of energy and heat and that is why they no longer call them laptop
but portibles -"

to avoid lawsuits and cuplability - they "MAC 'LAPTOP/PORTIBLE' COMPUTERS" should NOT be put on your lap

FYI -

it's kind of scary - it totally hurts and so I've stopped - but it's counter intuitive - habitual - to hold it that way -

fyi

M

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#156656 - 05/17/07 12:09 PM Re: BIG DANGER FOR MAC USERS - heads up!!!!! [Re: markgreyblue]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Never put a laptop on your lap, put it on a flat surface.
The small plug from the mains adaptor will break off, causing
a hefty repair bill, and the heat is known to destroy disk drives.

ste

#156676 - 05/17/07 12:54 PM Re: BIG DANGER FOR MAC USERS - heads up!!!!! [Re: reality2k4]
duncanUK Offline
MaleSurvivor

i suppose with all that spare heat given off from the laptop you could do some fries or something \:\) \:\)

#156678 - 05/17/07 01:02 PM Re: BIG DANGER FOR MAC USERS - heads up!!!!! [Re: duncanUK]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
yes your innards-

and the party of three hello!

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#156714 - 05/17/07 03:36 PM Re: BIG DANGER FOR MAC USERS - heads up!!!!! [Re: markgreyblue]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
All laptop computers or computers in general give of alot of heat.

for desktops, its fairly easy to distribute the heat and cool the board with a simple fan.

in laptops, because of limitted space, this is much harder to do.

Most laptops have a very small fan, but it is usually inadequit to do the job. I know from personal experience that when that fan goes on, it's time to stop running all applications and shut her down for a little while.

Besides, newer Mac laptops have little pilot on their "dashboard" controls called "widgets" one of which is called iSTAT, this gives the users the temps of diferent parts of his computer-the CPU Top should never go higher than 129 degrees F. if it does ,than just put it to sleep or shut it down for a while and put it in a cool spot.

to keep your comp. cool and on yur lap just put some type of thin insulation between you and the bottom of the computer(I use a thin pillow and when one side starts to get warm, I just flip it over).

Just remeber that when you hear that fan go on, know that your comp. is figghting a losing battle and can not addicuitly cool yur comp. so use common sense and move it to a cool spot and let it sleep for 5 min. or so.

I am not ant expert with comps by any means, but this is the 3rd Mac iBook that I have owned.

BTW, Mark , this was a good topic to bring up- 'causd if one does not take the neseseary precautions- you will end up frying yur computer!

Logan

Edited by Logan (05/17/07 03:41 PM)
-Blade Runner

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.