Newest Members
The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101, JCEldrid
12286 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
2 registered (tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12286 Members
73 Forums
63203 Topics
441951 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#15559 - 11/16/05 03:43 PM Re: Zoloft? More depression after 2 months?
george of kent Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: delaware
i just have to weigh in and basically agree with Larry (something I find myself doing a lot lately). Our scientific, so-called "Western" medicine will never be completely risk free, but exhaustive testing is conducted to maximize safety (benefit to risk ratio). Western science is now beginning to look at the admitted benefits of complementary modalities from other cultures, but, honestly, a lot of testing is still needed. I would not reject out of hand "medications" from either East or West, but would cautiously proceed to find what works best for you.

Someone must take a stand -- Coward, take my coward's hand"
Arthur Laurents

#15560 - 11/17/05 04:09 AM Re: Zoloft? More depression after 2 months?
Derdlecar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ogden Utah, USA
I am a registered nurse. That fact by no means makes me an expert. However I have both taken anti-depressants and given them to hundreds of people in my work. I have found that there is a time in ones life when they are needed. I have seen very few problem related to their use and these reactions were only minor side effects.

Hang in there

Darrel

#15561 - 11/17/05 03:42 PM Re: Zoloft? More depression after 2 months?
Mystic Rhythm Offline

Loc: Limbo, clawing my way out...
Well I must say feel free to risk your own lives with conventional medications. The FDA and any other organization similar to it in other countries only have 1 view: money. Go ahead. Try to convince me otherwise. They pump this shit in you and rake in the money, leaving you with a slew of secondary effects that far outweigh the goal of the drug. Geez, just look at the choice of word they use: drug! The DEA should be cracking down on this crap for endangering people's lives, yet they just keep approving this stuff as if it's the miracle cure. What's being approved out there after being "tested" are not cures, but suppressions. The pain still remains, you just don't feel it the way your body was designed to do and process it and heal it. Conventional drugs disrupt the natural energies of the body.

The supposed study you probably read was no doubt biased in some way. In truth, ALL studies are biased in some way or another. No study can ever be purely objective. The human element is always in play, which is why there is so much disinformation out there, so many views on the same things. So which one is right and which one is wrong? Truthfully, the only right or wrong answer is your own opinion. Mine, for me and me only, will always be Zoloft is very damaging, and St. John's Wort (used appropriately) is quite beneficial. I've seen improvements using this natural alternative in myself and not you or anyone else can deny me this. I will never trust whatever the FDA and Health Canada approve, because in the end, it's not my health their more concerned with, but my wallet.

As far as I'm concerned, CASE CLOSED.
MR

#15562 - 11/18/05 12:59 AM Re: Zoloft? More depression after 2 months?
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
not all meds work for all people . . My shrink has tryed 8 difrent meds with me at the moulment I am takeing 150 mg of Effexor . It hasent done much good eather

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#15563 - 11/21/05 12:46 AM Re: Zoloft? More depression after 2 months?
tricky Offline

Loc: Sydney Aus
Devon
Granted anti-D's or for that matter any drug (St John's Wort included) aren't the be all and end all of depression and they do take up to 3 months to be effective. It all depends on how depleted the levels of seretonin in the brain are. They are designed to abate depression they're not a wonder drug to make you feel better just something to get you over the hump or in our case slump and when used in conjunction with therapy they are very effective.
What it comes down to is that we have to believe in ourselves and believe that we can get through this and the best way to do that is to talk about it to whoever will listen. No-one can truelly understand what we as individuals are going through and that includes other survivors, we can empathise but never really understand. Simply because we are all unique and have learnt to deal with our abuse in our own unique ways. What we have to do is identify our unhelpful coping mechanisms and un-learn them. As far as I see it the best way to do that is with the help of a good therapist.

MR as for your blatent statement about Zoloft causing permanent brain damage. Mate, you really shoudn't make blanket statements like that they are really unhelpful. I've been on Zoloft for close to 5 years now and I still have all my faculties. Drugs are drugs no matter whether they are synthetic or naturally occuring I think you shot yourself in the foot over that one. I hate to state the obvious mate but you are still emptying your wallet to provide drug companies with the money from your wallet

Tricky

#15564 - 11/22/05 09:41 PM Re: Zoloft? More depression after 2 months?
Mystic Rhythm Offline

Loc: Limbo, clawing my way out...
Firstly, "I" never made the statement that Zoloft will fuck up your brain, an official published medical book did. Read the post, "mate".

Secondly, I wouldn't and don't buy the shit you'll find in a pharmacy, not even the "supposed" natural meds. They aren't even closely as effective as what I DO buy.

Thirdly, hey it's your life and your body. You are more than entitled to fuck it up as little or as much as you want. I've seen the positive results for myself from what I buy, and if you people are too thick to read my posts objectively, then I could royally give a rats ass what you do with yourself and the shit you ingest from what is "approved" by people whose only interest is your money, not your health.

MR

#15565 - 11/23/05 04:20 PM Re: Zoloft? More depression after 2 months?
tricky Offline

Loc: Sydney Aus
MR

Firstly, you may not have made the statement that Zoloft will fuck with your brain but you did state and I quote.

"she didn't say a word but took out a massive medical book on medications and their effects ... can cause brain damage after a few months of prolonged use". Without any reference to the said medical book for people to refer to therefore it is a blanket statement.

Your sarcastic use of the word "mate" doesn't piss me off because I know there are cultural differences between Yanks and Aussies. We use the term "mate" as u would use "buddy, pal or whatever else you use.

But what did piss me off is your reference of some of us being "too thick" to read your posts. Therefore, I think you should grace us with all the knowledge you have. And geez I must be too thick if I got abused in the first place hey mate!!!!! I can see that this site IS NOT going to work for me because of the cultural differences. Just because people have different opinions to you doesn't give you the right to put them down with statements like "if you people are too thick" Hey you know everything mate how was I to know that. I'm not a fucking mindreader.

tricky

#15566 - 11/23/05 06:04 PM Re: Zoloft? More depression after 2 months?
ForeverFighting Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Mexico, USA
Tricky,

Please don't take one misunderstanding as "this site IS NOT going to work for me because of the cultural differences." I've met a couple of Aussies (as well as Germans, Russians, etc.) here and I'm amazed at how similar we all are. I mean, we're human beings who have had horrible things done to us. I've been writing one guy here who lives halfway around the globe and I mean it's like we're from the same family or something.

It's just so good to know we're not alone in this. In reading your story in your first post, I can tell you that you are not alone.

Hang in there, friend.

And to Devon, I've been on Prozac and various anti-anxiety medications for over ten years. I also wear glasses. It's not a weakness to wear glasses or even get my pre>

"This search for the truth--it's not for the faint of heart."--Goren on 'Law & Order: CI'
"The former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."--Isaiah 65:17

#15567 - 11/23/05 06:30 PM Re: Zoloft? More depression after 2 months?
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Tricky and MR,

I saw your post about leaving the site, MR, and was not sure what the problem was. I guess it's here. I didn't see what was happening because I am currently on a visit to the USA to disclose to my parents.

Male Survivor isn't any more perfect than the rest of the very imperfect world, and after having been here awhile I wonder that the place holds together as well as it does. All of us have feelings and experiences that make us extra-sensitive to possibilities that we are being challenged or dismissed. At the same time we are all different, however, so we deal with these moments in different ways. This has happened to me more than once, and each time I tried to learn something and move on - how successfully, well, we will see one day I guess!

Being a part of this community helps us to get past the feelings of being all alone and gives us a forum to exchange views. I have made close friends from all over the world here. I hope you will both be able to set the current misunderstanding aside and stay on with us, but at the same time I respect your sense of boundaries and am not trying to dismiss your feelings in any way.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.