Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64188 Topics
447911 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#149564 - 04/08/07 10:53 AM "About a Boy" starring Hugh Grant
Brokenhearted Offline

Loc: TX
Another movie I rented very recently, this one shows the dynamics of what happens when a child feels responsible for his mom's happiness....she is often depressed and crying, too self-involved to notice her son befriends an older man (Hugh). Her son and Hugh hang out together, (thank goodness he's not a sex offender), Hugh buys him new shoes and things... and eventually Hugh confronts the mother for not getting her head out of her butt to notice how miserable her son is. In the end, Hugh is forced to tell the son, "You can't make your mother happy, not in the long run. It's up to her to make herself happy. Because if other people can make you happy, then they can make you unhappy." Just a good film, funny, and insightful about the inherent needs of a little boy. Also, Hugh's own parent was an alcoholic (there's a flashback he has) and Hugh himself in this movie is very shallow, "emotionally stunted," as he put it, unfeeling. He has a time of reflection toward the end and realizes his life is materially rich yet completely empty. It ends well though.

It were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
Luke 17:2

#149656 - 04/08/07 05:42 PM Re: "About a Boy" starring Hugh Grant [Re: Brokenhearted]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Brokenhearted,

I liked that film as well, and I so felt for the boy's struggle to find a man to bond with. He clearly wanted what all boys want and need: to be special, wanted, important, and loved. And yes, the film so clearly illustrated how vulnerable a boy in that position is.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#151185 - 04/16/07 07:46 PM Re: "About a Boy" starring Hugh Grant [Re: roadrunner]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I liked that movie when I saw awhile back

I also love a song from the sountrack its called "Delta(little boy blues" by badly drawn boy its a really great song and makes me feel like akid again although a happy kid.

Logan

-Blade Runner

#154408 - 05/04/07 04:02 PM Re: "About a Boy" starring Hugh Grant [Re: Logan]
Chain Breaker Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Michigan
My family love this film so much, we bought it on DVD.

CB

"[Insert your name here], I am [Chain Breaker]. Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?"
--Wind In His Hair, Dances With Wolves

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.