Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (Dave PNW, Jude, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443138 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#154407 - 05/04/07 04:00 PM How triggering is Prince of Tides?
Chain Breaker Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Michigan
Any opinions? I've heard it's really good, but I've also heard it can be very triggering. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

CB

"[Insert your name here], I am [Chain Breaker]. Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?"
--Wind In His Hair, Dances With Wolves

#154413 - 05/04/07 04:27 PM Re: How triggering is Prince of Tides? [Re: Chain Breaker]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
The only thing that triggers me is a true story, not fiction,

ste

#154628 - 05/05/07 08:34 PM Re: How triggering is Prince of Tides? [Re: reality2k4]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
CB...

The child rape scene may devastate you..may not.

Since I was violently raped and not groomed (initially), I nearly smashed the fking TV..but wanted to PUKE...and did!

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#154633 - 05/05/07 08:45 PM Re: How triggering is Prince of Tides? [Re: Still]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Interesting...TV is more triggering than Prince of Tides.

The Missouri case of Josh Hornbeck and Ben Onsby was a HUGE factor in my public disclosure. The way the press fucked them over......ARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#155006 - 05/08/07 11:10 AM Re: How triggering is Prince of Tides? [Re: Still]
Chain Breaker Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for sharing your opinions. I am just trying to decide whether seeing it would be therapeutic or just trigger me.

Ste, I thought Prince of Tides was a true story. Isn't it supposed to be autobiographical for Pat Conroy?

Rob, I totally agree with you about the stuff on regular TV. There are so many totally outrageous cases, and the media treat us like shit. I can only hope that, one day, things will change.

CB

"[Insert your name here], I am [Chain Breaker]. Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?"

#155080 - 05/08/07 03:54 PM Re: How triggering is Prince of Tides? [Re: Chain Breaker]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

NO...SERIOUSLY!!! TV triggers me like crazy. I go into major funks and/or bawl from the normal news and alerts.

I have had the TV off for MONTHS and turned it on last night here in L.A. Was listening to them describe the survivors of the KS tornado... It sounded like they were talking about US.

Id say DONT watch it... my second time through, I watched it with Lorie and did fine. But realize the rape scene is horrible, violent and just plain awful!!! I actually had blanked-out even watching it the first time. Its TOUGH!

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#155664 - 05/11/07 02:54 PM Re: How triggering is Prince of Tides? [Re: Still]
Chain Breaker Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, Rob. I got a good PM on that from someone else, and I don't plan to see it anytime soon.

I also find TV news seriously triggering. I quit watching it altogether a couple of months after 9/11/01. I still do not watch it. I accidentally saw a few minutes of the local news about two weeks ago. Local news is the worst; everything has to be sensational or gruesome. I went to bed sobbing.

CB

#159177 - 05/31/07 12:00 AM Re: How triggering is Prince of Tides? [Re: Chain Breaker]
grover Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Tennessee
I went to see it because I liked Streisand and had no idea what it was about other than it got good reviews. I was devastated. It blind-sided me in the theatre. But I was still pretty early in counselling and my nerves were still kinda raw.

#159242 - 05/31/07 02:37 PM Re: How triggering is Prince of Tides? [Re: grover]
dean1320 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Atlanta, GA , US
A movie that triggered me at the time I watched it, was "Sleepers" with kevin bacon, pitt, and deniro. I was devastated. the hornbeck kid's case triggered me as well. i puked everytime i heard about it for the first week. i think it is dismissed (U S) because little boys? are supposed to be able to defend themselves. I don't think so. If you are inclined at the grocery store or park, look at a 8 yr old, and ask yourself if he would be able to defend himself? absoulutely not.

love
T

#159388 - 06/01/07 07:53 PM Re: How triggering is Prince of Tides? [Re: dean1320]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Joe,

Just generally speaking, I would be very careful about watching films on CSA themes until you are pretty comfortable with where you are in your recovery. Sure, there is often an important message, but the visual images can be VERY triggering and harmful, and not just because they are sexual.

One of the worst memories for me from a film, for example, isn't sexual at all. It's one where a boy is in the tub being bathed by his Mom, and his Dad walks by, looks in from the door in a scornful way, and makes sarcastic comments about the boy being a quitter off the baseball team. That hit me hard - not because my own Dad ever did that to me (he didn't), but because that's the kind of thing I feared when I was a boy and it gave the abuser a perfect opportunity to get at me.

My point is that sometimes we don't know what will trigger us until it's too late. It's really a good idea to be careful.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.