Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443354 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#153768 - 05/01/07 04:18 PM Los Angeles Support Group
Born to Resist Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southern California, USA
Yes, there is a LA support group(s). I have include information about the one I attend which was started by attendees of a malesurvivor weekend recovery. There are other support groups in the area mostly based on 12 step programs. PM me if you would like the full list, so you can choose the right group for your recovery. See below in additional posts for a support group in Orange County

WHAT WE DO
Meet every Sunday afternoon to offer encouragement and support as fellow survivors of sexual abuse. We provide a safe environment to discuss dealing with the effects of abuse, ways to heal, and share available resources. It is not our desire to merely rehash our experiences, but to work towards a healthier future. In supporting each other we hope to help one another move forward with our lives. This is purely a peer support group and is not facilitated by a therapist.

HOW DO I COME TO A MEETING?
We are currently meeting in a safe and comfortable community center with other men who have contacted us prior to coming to a meeting. We prefer to talk or e-mail with men before they come to a meeting to let them know what to expect and then give them the location of the meeting. This also helps in building a safe environment for survivors to share. We ask that all members of the group respect the privacy of each member and not repeat what is discussed nor disclose who is attending. You need to contact an Intial Intake member to set up an intake phone call and then receive the date, time, and location of the next meeting. You can receive contact information by PMing me.

Most survivors do not become perpetrators of abuse themselves. This group is for non-offending survivors. If you are a survivor and are abusing others we urge you to find appropriate help. This group would not be appropriate for you

Meetings are held on Sundays from 4pm to 6pm off the 405 freeway in Marina del Rey

For more information please contact me by PM

Edited by Born to Resist (07/09/08 01:09 AM)

#177611 - 09/01/07 11:36 AM Re: Los Angeles Support Group [Re: Born to Resist]
Born to Resist Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thought I'd bump this up

#197560 - 01/01/08 04:46 PM Re: Los Angeles Support Group [Re: Born to Resist]
Born to Resist Offline
MaleSurvivor

Time to bump this up

#197601 - 01/01/08 09:29 PM Re: Los Angeles Support Group [Re: Born to Resist]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Yes, I've heard of your group over the grapevine here at MaleSurvivor, and I've been interested in some of the details which might help some of us who are trying to start or liven up a group.

I'd be great if you could post some of the problems and solutions, procedures, ways you do things. Like I've wondered about:

Membership: This must be a closed group, no dropping in as you said, but attendance is kind of expected most all the time.

Intakes: How do you do this? What do you ask? Do guys come to the group to meet everyone? And, it seems harsh but if the members are not comfortable with someone new, do you tell them to find another group? I could imagine not accepting someone who is too unstable, having problems that would be too overwhelming to hear about. I once felt uncomfortable talking in a group because I feared for another member's life.

Focus on improvement, the future: Good idea. So you just ask everyone to think, talk about and work on things to change in the present and not overly dwell on the past?

Do you have any rules about "crosstalk"? One group I know about strongly encourages men to ask for what they want: feedback, simular experiences, just listen, empathy, questions, etc. Otherwise, it's discouraged to offer too much of what someone's not asking for. (i.e. fixit advice).

Has your group had any difficulties come up? I don't need details of course but general issues. Or pretty smooth sailing?

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#210611 - 03/14/08 04:13 AM Re: Los Angeles Support Group [Re: LandOfShadow]
hector1 Offline
New Here

any group in the inland empire area?

#217370 - 04/11/08 03:33 PM Re: Los Angeles Support Group [Re: hector1]
Born to Resist Offline
MaleSurvivor

I apolgize for not seeing these posts. I don't visit the website too often anymore. Please PM me since it goes straight to my e-mail address. I'll attempt to answer these questions by shooting both of you a PM.

I am not aware of a support group in the Inland Empire. The closests one is in Orange or Pasadena. Let me know if you would like the info. If you would like to start up a group I would be very supportive since I live in the border of the Inland Empire and LA ... help train facilitators, help organize, help advertise, show up to meetings until membership numbers get sustainable. For that matter any of you who wish to start a group in the Inland Empire.

Please PM me for any further questions or contact info.

Courage-Spiritualtiy-Wisdom

Edited by Born to Resist (04/11/08 05:48 PM)

#227649 - 05/29/08 06:49 PM Re: Los Angeles Support Group [Re: Born to Resist]
DrB Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I am a psychologist with a therapy group for men molested as children. We meet in my office in Huntington Beach, CA. on Monday evenings. This is not a 12 step or support group, but a therapy group for men who have had or are in individual therapy. If you are intersted, go to my website, http://www.drblackwell.net.

Lee Blackwell, Ph.D.

#235312 - 07/02/08 04:51 PM Re: Los Angeles Support Group [Re: DrB]
Tinman Offline

Loc: Lake Forest, CA
Thanks, Born. I contacted the intake guy you emailed me about and I will be there this Sunday.

To the perps: Don't worry about me coming after you. But you damn well better watch out for God! "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord

#235906 - 07/05/08 03:14 AM Re: Los Angeles Support Group [Re: Tinman]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
I am not alone,

First I want to qualify that I do have a therapist. I see her every two weeks.One time, I went in to see her with nothing to say,and before I new it she said we are going to have to wrap it up, now(never enough time).

I am also blessed to be in the fellowship(A.A.),where some feel it innapropriate to talk about anything but alcohol. All I know is Pg.160 of the Big Book says," bring your problems". Notice, no clarifier on what those problems are.In my shares, often I have hinted around what my deal was.

My #1 resentment is my abuse. I 've got to say, it is sometimes, hard to talk to those who have never been there.At the same time they loved me until I could love myself(I have also lashed out at these same people for various innapropriate reasons). On many levels, the journey has been a solo quest.I was alone when it happened(I froze)and have often been alone when dealing with this issue.

My first book on the subject was, Courage to Heal(for women)in the back of that book, I found this website.Unfortunately,I had limited access to my friends computers.That being said,getting my head out of the... oh poor me attitutude.
I would just like to stess how fortunate some peoples level of support is.

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE, those that have this opportunity to participate, on this type/level of therapy, NOT WASTE THE OPPORTUNITY.

1islandboy

p.s. I am not alone ,anymore,because now I have YOU.

p.p.s. I would like to participate in a healing circle (Myself as silent observer) Please tell me... How do I go about doing that? Thanks lol.

#236906 - 07/09/08 12:48 AM Re: Los Angeles Support Group [Re: 1islandboy]
Born to Resist Offline
MaleSurvivor

1IB,

You defintely need to gain the support you deserve! If you happen to visit LA on a semi-consistent basis let PM me so I can give you more information about the group. If you wish to stay a silent oberver, in our case by saying pass, you are more than welcome to. You may want to post a request in the classifieds or do a search for a group in your area that is more easily accessible for you.

Courage-Spirituality-Wisdom

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.