Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
3 registered (Greg56, 2 invisible), 64 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438141 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#153652 - 05/01/07 04:36 AM Thank you America
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

As I leave U.S. today, probable not to live here at all again, I was thinking on it, how it was to come to live in U.S. at all anyway. I posted something on 'blog' at myspace, to thank America for what it given to me. As much of the persons I have meet here are American, I wished to say it here also. Thank you, to your country.

VN

Thank you America, and Americans
This day next week, I will be leaving U.S. for to return to Russia. After several years (mostly since 2002) living and training, and then working, in U.S. almost totally, I return to Russia, not knowing ever I will again live in U.S. I take back to Russia with me thoughts on my time in U.S., appreciation for this country that has been most kind to me, and also appreciation of mine own country.

I come here, to U.S., knowing only few words of English to say, and not to read at all or write. English was not offered as foreign language at the primery school I was in. Some schools offer of it, others do not. There is more that offer now then there use to be. I was to come to U.S. as I was 'recruited' to be ice dance partner for an American lady skater. (It is not something uncommen, to recruit foreign partners in American ice dance, specialy since in U.S. there is more ladies who do the sport then men). The girl was rather younger then me by 5 years, quite talented girl. We worked together in New York city, I lived in her family house in a room with her brother. Still did not speak so much English. We were together half of one season, we competed two events, medalled in one, but then in Eastern regional event that year, in attempt to go to U.S. nationals, we finished third. Only top two teams from regional field would go to Nationals. It was not bad results for only few months work together. But, few weeks after regional event, she decided she would no longer skate, and wanted to go to university. I had no more partnership, no where to live, and still did not know so much the language of U.S.

I was fortunate. A wonderful Russian coach seen us compete, and needed a male partner for her Russian ice dancer who had just lost her partner (who would go to compete in Canada, another Russian in the wrong country). It was good opportunity, to work with a Russian skater, Russian coaches, and lived in the house with the coach and some other skaters. We all was Russian, and so English still was not learned so much, but was used more at work when I would work with child skaters.

All this time, I was so lucky. The family I lived with first, they were kind, they were patient, they were encouraging and welcoming. They were perhaps 'wealthy' some, but was not at all 'rich'. They were just 'general' Americans, and they were kind and very nice people. All the years I had growed up hearing that Americans are lazy, they are stupid, they do not care about their familys, they only want money. I did not see none of that as truth.

In the other years, while still training in sport and working at training center, while working at 'fast food' to pay for training, while competing against other U.S. athletes and having some of them training there also, I never meet anyone terrible. All was nice people. Sometime there would be someone more patient then someone else, when I would have difficulty of the language or such. But, that is to be found everywhere, there is different personalities in America, in Russia, in Spain, in France, all that. I did not find at all any the 'ugly American'. I suppose I would, if I looked for it. But I not find them. I find nice, hard working, kind people.

I take that back to Russia with me. The fondness of the American people I got to train with and know. The understanding some more of the culture (but not of politics, I do not think I understand that of Russia either). I take also back the fear and sadness of what things happen like the shootings at Virginia Tech university; the talk and culture of American television (which mostly I not seen); the passion of Americans who watch sports; the dedication of so much familys who have children and both parents who must work. It is a good country. It is a good culture. I hear Americans, citizens, who complain of their country, and how they do not have pride in it, and I can not understand that. It is your country. No, it is not perfect. Mine is not either. But it is yours, and to me, that is enough to have pride.

I love my country, and it have flaws, and I dislike much the politics and the current attitudes of some racism, of crime, of indecencty. But it is my country, it has great wonders and great persons, and I am proud of it. I appreciate it, and I love it.

But I liked very much America also, and I thanks to all the persons who helped to make my time here as good as it could be away of my home. Be proud of your country. It is a wonderful one also.

#153659 - 05/01/07 06:18 AM Re: Thank you America [Re: VN]
soapy bubbles Offline

Loc: london
Wishing you a safe journey home ..... I hope we'll still see you here once you've settled into life back in Russia.
SB x

“Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.” --- Eleanor Roosevelt

#153670 - 05/01/07 07:37 AM Re: Thank you America [Re: soapy bubbles]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Visha,

Thank You for a beautiful and generous post.

I know for one, I have thanks to give to you.

I had never known Russians before this site - at least - closely.

You and AK and Leosha and Alexey. You've influenced my life for the better.

I am glad you came to this country and I am also glad

you can take good memories of your time here.

Have a safe trip back - and have a fun tour ahead. We'll be thinking of you.

Hopefullly there's still vacation plans ahead in a sunny or wintery US spot.

Das Vedanya \:\)

MT

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#153672 - 05/01/07 07:56 AM Re: Thank you America [Re: markgreyblue]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Visha,

Thanks for your comments and I'm glad you had such a good experience. Living in a foreign country is an incredibly eye-opening opportunity, isn't it? I feel I have learned so much from living with other peoples on their own turf.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#153676 - 05/01/07 08:45 AM Re: Thank you America [Re: roadrunner]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

thank you visha ,our country will be a little more lonely without you here. its funny cause i felt the same way about the russian people and we all learned a lot from you ,i hope you will still be here at ms in the future adam

#153683 - 05/01/07 09:26 AM Re: Thank you America [Re: shadowkid]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Visha,

Russia is getting back a good guy. Remember that we are here. Talk to us from Russia. We're a mouse-click away. \:\)

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#153684 - 05/01/07 09:32 AM Re: Thank you America [Re: FormerTexan]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
VN,

That was a lovely tribute to America - it should actually be required reading for lots of Americans!

Have a safe trip.

ROCK ON........Trish

#153687 - 05/01/07 09:39 AM Re: Thank you America [Re: FormerTexan]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Visha Have a safe trip back to your homeland. I have alse dreamed of traveling to your country, maybe some day.

Looking forward to talking with you in the healing circle.
Tom

#153711 - 05/01/07 12:15 PM Re: Thank you America [Re: Muldoon]
Chain Breaker Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Michigan
Visha,

We have not become acquainted on this site, but I appreciate your posts and the warmth and understanding you have for everyone. Your tribute to America was very kind and very generous. I wish you the best. Perhaps a story I once heard will illustrate why you found the America you found.

One day an old man sat in front of his small-town gas station, whittling. A packed car and a U-Haul truck pulled in for gas. In the car were a mother and several children. Their father stepped down from the cab of his truck to stretch his legs. The whittling man put down his wood and his knife and approached the father, whose wife now came to stand at his side. As the old man began filling the fuel tank on the truck, he said, "Moving into town, I suppose?" "Yes", said the younger man, "what are the people like here?" "Well," the old man replied, "what were they like where you came from?" The younger man thought about it and said, "You know, we're just glad to be leaving that place. The people there were jerks. They didn't welcome anyone new, and they were conceited. Good riddance, as far as I'm concerned." "Yes, good riddance", echoed his wife.

The old man finished filling the tank of the U-Haul and started on the car. "Well," he said, "I think you'll find them about the same here." "Oh, great!" the young man said to his wife. "We're moving to the same place we just left!" "No kidding; four more years of closed-minded sheep for neighbors," said the wife, in disgust. The young family paid for their fuel and left.

Two or three hours later found the same old man, whittling in front of his gas station. Another young family were arriving. They looked just like the first. The old man set aside his whittling and began to refuel the truck, then the car. The young father stepped out of the truck, joined a moment later by his wife.

"Moving into town, I suppose?" came the query? "Yes we are. We're on a four-year assignment here. What are the people like here?" The old man paused and asked, "Well, what were they like where you came from?" The mother quickly replied, "Oh, I can't tell you how much we'll miss that place! The people were just so friendly and warm. We had the best neighbors, and we were always doing things in the community." "Yeah," the husband agreed, "everybody was a lot of fun, and they stuck with you through the bad times, too." "Well," said the old man, as he topped off the tank of the car, "I think you'll find they're about the same here." The young couple embraced, and the wife said, "I'm so excited to be moving here!" The husband kissed her and said, "Four more years of great neighbors and a fun town."

The couple paid the old man, thanked him, and headed on into town.

Four years later, the same two families headed out of town on the same road, each stopping at the same gas station. When the first couple arrived, the old man asked them how they had liked the town. The young woman, now aged another eight years in the span of four, said, "I'm so glad you warned us. This was a lousy place to be stuck for four years." Her husband agreed, saying, "I'm just looking forward to getting out of here." True to form, the second family stopped by to fuel up on their way out of town. The old man greeted them and fueled their vehicles. As he did so, he asked the young couple, now aged two additional years in the span of four, how they had liked the town. "Oh, Fred!" the young woman exclaimed as she embraced the old man, "You were so right about everybody here. We just had the best time, and it was great to get to know you and Emily." "These might have been the best four years of our lives. We will surely miss everyone", her husband agreed.

Visha, America is a very diverse country and there is plenty of bad to see if you look for it. Your experience with the United States simply reflects your personality. America was enriched by having you here. Please come back whenever you can.

CB

"[Insert your name here], I am [Chain Breaker]. Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?"
--Wind In His Hair, Dances With Wolves

#153840 - 05/01/07 10:10 PM Re: Thank you America [Re: Chain Breaker]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Visha,

Thank-you for that tribute. I know it was from the heart. For those of us who've had the privilege of getting acquainted with you it has been an honor to have you among us. You bring us wisdom.

I wish you god speed as you return to your country. We look forward to seeing you on the DB, and wish you the best in your new endeavors.

Lots of love,

Jon

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.