Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
4 registered (susie, gatoonfanatic, sorryson, Obi), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64193 Topics
447961 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#153133 - 04/27/07 10:56 PM Re: Anger over Church abuse cover-up [Re: Nobbynobs]
Daniel Peter Offline

Loc: Canada
(I wonder if Catholic Family Services would be interested in helping get my retreat/campground idea off the ground? I'll have to google them I think.)

I'm a little leary of reading the book you're talking about. It sounds as though it could give insight, but I'm wondering about bias. Did you say it was written by a reporter FOR a Catholic newsletter/newspaper? If you're reading it, are you seeing a slant? Is the author using critical reasoning skills properly...or faulty premises, ingrained assumptions, semantics, etcetera. I imagine a Catholic reporter might display a bias, but is it strong? I don't want to waste money on propaganda, (Maybe I'm just too cynical,) but would VERY much like to hear "why" decisions were made...to see if there was something more than an absence of thought for the victims to account for the choices the church (churches) made.

Oh, Nobby, re: my earlier post, you noted that the answer was in my "signature" about how to win in the eyes of God. You're absolutely right. If only I could HOLD that thought all the time. I just wish this multi-personality thing would stop making burn those bridges and destroying the healing process for both of me! I know the answer, I'm just in a world of constant tug-of-war between me, the pro-active educated thinker, and me, the street-kid, chip-on-the-shoulder, lazy, low-life, survivor-at-all-cost, who'd rather kick back with Harley's, beer, a toot, and say FTW! I'm in a permanent war with myself, so I never make it anywhere. Notice how the signature ended?

(Freaky way to put it, eh?)

He who dies having fed and cared for his brother, wins in the eyes of God...and the hearts of his brothers.

He who dies but didn't ride...well...he didn't really live anyway!

#153140 - 04/27/07 11:30 PM Re: Anger over Church abuse cover-up [Re: Daniel Peter]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
edited...gonna rewrite this

Edited by Nobbynobs (04/27/07 11:31 PM)

- Mel Brooks

#153159 - 04/28/07 02:35 AM Re: Anger over Church abuse cover-up [Re: Nobbynobs]
skingraph Offline

Even though the catholic church never touched me while i attended it,its just as friggen as guilty as rest of the bastards.Thats why i'll never attend another religion again,its either money,sex,or control,might aswell worship Satan.

#153164 - 04/28/07 03:58 AM Re: Anger over Church abuse cover-up [Re: skingraph]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Lets face it, this perp was only caught because he was on a residential course in religious study.
He was left, by the church to go on to abuse others.

In other words, the church are complicit with his behaviour by not exposing him.
These are the things the church do to open themselves up to being sued for millions.

This perp would still be free to teach kids if this man had not had a chance meeting many years hence.
How many kids has he abused through the decades of him being free to do so? I can only guess.

Hopefully, more will come forward, and the church will be sued for its inaction of these terrible crimes against it, by another, "man of God".

ste

#153167 - 04/28/07 05:31 AM Re: Anger over Church abuse cover-up [Re: reality2k4]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Quote:
The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has expressed his deep sorrow over the suffering experienced in child abuse cases involving the Church of England after a former choirmaster was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison this week for abusing boys in his care.

Peter Halliday, 62, formerly a choirmaster in Farnborough, Hampshire, admitted indecently assaulting boys under his care between 1985 and 1990. He was sentenced by Winchester Crown Court to two-and-a-half years in jail on Thursday and ordered to pay £2,000 to each of his three victims.

Dr Williams said that the Church had developed greater awareness and expertise, and had stringent procedures in place, but that vigilance was crucial.

“Any case in which the Church has failed to prove itself a safe place for children is deplorable. This is one such case, and we can only express our keen awareness of the damage and deep sorrow for the suffering caused."

The Church of England was strongly criticised for failing to report the abuse to police when church authorities were first made aware by the parents of one victim in 1990.

Halliday was instead told he should leave quietly and agree that he would have no more contact with young children. He went on, however, to work with young boys when he became a singer in the Royal School of Church Music.

Independent Christian charity, the Churches Child Protection Advisory Service, said the Church of England had “seriously mishandled” the situation, criticising in particular the Church’s failure to notify police of the abuse and to remedy previous inaction when it later implemented its child protection programme.

“It is also misleading to suggest that there was only one opportunity to act in this case,” said the CCPAS. “The introduction a few years later of the Church of England's child protection policy and their training programme should have highlighted to those concerned the inappropriateness of actions previously taken and this should have resulted in a different response.” The Archbishop of Canterbury said: “The principle that the welfare of the child must always take priority has sometimes been misunderstood to mean that a child should not be put through the distress of public legal procedures. It appears to me that this misunderstanding may have been involved in this instance."

He said that in the period since the abuse took place, the Church of England had developed greater expertise and implemented "far more stringent procedures".

"This does not help victims of an earlier era, but the awareness of the cost they have borne is something that underlines the imperative need to keep all our procedures in the strictest working order," he said.

The Diocese of Guildford expressed regret and sadness over the child abuse by Halliday but said it was “completely satisfied” with the way it had handled the abuse charges at the time.

“Church officers at every level acted in good faith in accordance in what they perceived to be in the best interests of child and family - at that time, in that setting - before the law and government guidelines were as they are today,” said diocesan spokesman, the Rev Mark Rudall.

He added that child protection policy within the Church of England was under constant review and expressed his hope that Halliday’s sentencing today had provided “some kind of closure for what must have been many years of background distress to their lives”.

In a statement released Thursday, the Church of England reaffirmed its commitment “to the safeguarding, care and nurture of the children within our community” and offered reassurances that those working with children are properly vetted by police.

"We respond without delay to every complaint made, that a child or young person for whom we are responsible may have been harmed, and fully co-operate with statutory agencies during any investigation they make into allegations concerning a member of the church community,” it said.

#153193 - 04/28/07 10:55 AM Re: Anger over Church abuse cover-up [Re: reality2k4]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

why not cover up abuse?the church is one giant lie anyway ,its about control ,why do you think we are called sheep? we are all part of gods flock . lambs being led to slaughter thinking all the time that heaven is real

#153195 - 04/28/07 10:56 AM Re: Anger over Church abuse cover-up [Re: shadowkid]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

if the vatican sold one one thousadnth of the stuff they have world hunger could be stopped with the money they made

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.