Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63793 Topics
445489 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#151929 - 04/20/07 07:20 PM Re: Media Headache Coming? [Re: tartugas]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

To further underscore how the Cho situation REALLY compares with our own situation, consider what people are saying. The questions being asked, the thoughts being 'thunk', the theories being proferred by the victims and their families. "What made Cho do something like that?" "What was he thinking?" "How can we stop this from happening again?" "Why US?" I don't know about you, but these questions seem awfully familar to me.

I, for one (and I think I may have said something like this before about pedos), am not in any particular hurry to understand what Cho was thinking when he did what he did. I just get this dreadful feeling that if I understood what was going on in his mind, there would be something seriously wrong with me.

As I indicated before, I see little hope of ever preventing another sociopath from finally executing some master plan of horror, in much the same way that I won't put any money on us ever being able to reliably identify dangerous pedophiles and intervene before they cause any pain. I remain convinced that in both cases, salvation lies not in intercepting the threats, but in educating and empowering potential victims before they become real victims.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#152130 - 04/21/07 07:51 PM Re: Media Headache Coming? [Re: tartugas]
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
I still think that 'something' in his past, probably abuse, became some kind of catalyst to this man's murderous behaviour.
I have no feelings of sadness over his demise, only for his innocent victims.
And I agree 100% that abuse can never be used as an excuse for extreme behaviours such as this, but we can't discount it as a factor either.

Of course I could be wrong, I've only read the media's take on this and his writings, and seen his video.
The truth is we'll never know unless others come forward who knew Cho and an accurate picture of his past can be made, but that will never give us what was actually going on inside his mind.

I also think that it is important to try and understand what happened, society has a duty to try and understand so we can work towards possible interventions in the future.
Obviously we can't create these conditions as an experiment, so in the same way as doctors have studied the effects of things like PTSD on people who already suffer with it, then Cho's behaviours and actions must be studied. However distasteful that might seem.

Dave

#152389 - 04/23/07 12:05 PM Re: Media Headache Coming? [Re: Lloydy]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
This will happen again. It's only a matter of time. Unless, of course, we do away with this silly notion of "gun-free" zones. If just ONE of those students were packing, he/she could have STOPPED him, but he/she COULDN'T because of the infinite wisdom that Virgina's lawmakers, who only just last year voted down a bill that would have allowed conceal/carry permits on college campuses.

http://www.infowars.com/articles/2nd_amendment/va_campus_gun_bill_gets_shot_down.htm

"Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Instead they want us to rely on 911 and swat teams arriving hours later and sticking their weapons in the faces of already terrorized students. Amazing that these people keep being re-elected.

#152554 - 04/24/07 07:06 AM Re: Media Headache Coming? [Re: Hauser]
Chain Breaker Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Michigan
What I see as a tragedy is that Cho had such easy access to a handgun. He bought it legally! Maybe now the Virginia legislature will consider some decent gun control laws. I work in a university, and I am grateful that we have rules prohibiting guns on campus. If universities start allowing students to carry guns, shootings will increase. Nothing personal, Alan, we just disagree on this one.

CB

"[Insert your name here], I am [Chain Breaker]. Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?"
--Wind In His Hair, Dances With Wolves

#152581 - 04/24/07 11:44 AM Re: Media Headache Coming? [Re: Chain Breaker]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Hey, no apologies necessary, and I would share your opinion on this matter EXCEPT for one minor thing, government simply does NOT deliver on it's promises.

Our government pledged to eliminate drug abuse and drugs are cheaper and just as readily readily available.

Our government promised to eliminate poverty, and now we have generations of people dependent on the government handouts for food and medical care.

Our government promised to make our retirements secure with "social security", and we all know it's going to collapse before I get to retire AFTER having put money into it for my whole life.

And promises promises promises. I won't go into how many promises our government has made and failed to deliver. (I CAN if you want me to). But if you feel that their promise to protect you buy making guns illegal will work, well,....I honestly don't know where you get your faith.

If you criminalize drugs, only thugs like the Crypts and the Bloods will sell drugs. If you criminalize alcohol, only thugs like Al Capone will sell it. If you make handguns illegal,.................well I think I've said enough.

Oh, and from what I recall, handguns a TOTALLY banned in Washington D.C., and they have one of the highest murder rates in the country?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.