Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
2 registered (Tanis2105, 1 invisible), 58 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438140 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#151456 - 04/18/07 11:50 AM Books for our Spouses
AJC Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Illinois, USA
This may be obvious or may have been discussed before - but is there a good book out there for the spouse or partner of a CSA survivor?

My wife is completely in the dark as to how to help me or understand me. If there was something directed toward the person that is supporting the survivor - it would surely help her.

Thanks,
Andrew

#151457 - 04/18/07 11:55 AM Re: Books for our Spouses [Re: AJC]
GWsurvives Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Atlanta, and here, among othe...
Andrew,

There is a book called "Allies in Healing", but I'm unsure of the author. You can check on Amazon, or the MS Bookstore. I also recommend that she read Mike Lew's book, "Victims No Longer". I hope this helps.

You are blessed to have a wife that is trying to understand the problems you face. Be good to her.

GW

#151462 - 04/18/07 12:32 PM Re: Books for our Spouses [Re: GWsurvives]
selene Offline

Loc: midwest
.. andrew, as a spouse, i found the lew book (victims no longer) to be very helpful as well ... i read others, but that was the one that helped me really understand how csa can permeate a person's whole life ...

... coming here and talking with other wives and spouses may be something that could be helpful for your wife ... i'm glad to hear she's staying and trying to understand ... i know it's a hard road for both people, but i can tell you that it does get easier ...

selene

#151464 - 04/18/07 12:49 PM Re: Books for our Spouses [Re: selene]
stride Offline

Loc: B.C. Canada
Andrew,

"Allies in Healing: When the Person You Love Was Sexually Abused As a Child" is by Laura Davis (Harper Perennial; 1991). Lew's book was very helpful to me as well, in terms of offering insight. There are a lot of books available for partners of people who've been sexually abused, but I've yet to find any that are specifically for partners of MALE survivors. This leaves a big void IMO, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone familiar with, for example, the concerns routinely raised and discussed on this forum. I've actually been toying with the idea of writing such a book myself.

Whatever the case, this forum is a great resource and source of support for partners.

Stride

#151498 - 04/18/07 02:40 PM Re: Books for our Spouses [Re: stride]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Andrew,

You didn't mention whether your wife has asked you to get a book for her, so I'll give you this advice; if she hasn't asked you for your help in understanding what's going on, be very careful about suggesting things like books. She may be processing this stuff, and if you come on too strong she might get upset with you.

- Mel Brooks

#151517 - 04/18/07 04:30 PM Re: Books for our Spouses [Re: Nobbynobs]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Laura Davis' book is highly regarded and is easy to get. For a list of books on this topic you can check out our bookstore on: http://www.malesurvivor.org/bookstore.html and click on "Family and Friends". Buying books through our store is a good way to support MS, as we get a cut from sales that come from our site.

I would also approach the area of offering books carefully. I would like to hear what partners think about this.

Would you appreciate it if a friend of yours who knows your partner is a survivor came to YOU with a book you should read? If I were in that situation I think my first thought would be, "Has my friend actually read this book or heard it recommended?"

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.