Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63570 Topics
444143 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#15033 - 04/23/06 10:25 PM To go to court or not.. perp already in prison!
12to17 Offline

Loc: Australia
I would appreciate any advice I can receive about whether or not it is worth it to proceed with the Police and court action.

Me at the time: 12 to 17 years old

When: a long time ago, started 36+ years.

Who: Family acquaintence 10 years my senior.

Why now: He had been in news for almost 3 years, I never saw anything about him or the case, but last Dec (2005) my Mum mentioned it to me in a casual way, not knowing what impact his name and the charges he was about to be sentenced for would have on me.

Why my reaction: I have no idea, but as 49 year old, I felt like a 12 year old all over again, hoping he was not ringing that damn door bell. I maintained my composure till I finished my phone call with my Mum, looked up details on the net, and felt so so guilty, as I realised I was about 10 years before any of the current victims.. and had I been able to speak up back then, they all may have been saved from him. Not only had I forgotten (or wiped out) the memories of back then, when I later thought of him, I reckoned he must have stopped, as kids had "stranger danger" now and were taught to "speak up" . I wish I had back then. I did that night, I popped in to see the Police..

My Family Reaction: Reading that these guys (victims) had spoken up, I resolved to, but first a call to one of my brothers, I couldn't speak very clearly, and when he realised what the call was about, he broke down and could not speak at all, he called back, and decided we'd need to tell the rest of the family. He and another brother arranged to meet my parents (both now in their 80's) and talk about it. The next week was me avoiding family calls, as I knew the "12 year old" could not speak, but the 40 year old came back and we all cried together. For some reason my 4 brothers and my Mum and Dad all started their various conversations (when emotionally able to) with very heartfelt apologies.. I guess they all felt they may have let the "baby" of the family down back then, by never knowing what was going on. They are not to blame , only one person is, and that leads to the point of this post.

Current Situation:
1. He (perp) is was sentenced in Dec (2005) and is in prison now.
2. I still have hours of interviews to go with Police, as was postponed last Dec due to changes in sexual assault divisions within the Police.
3. My families reaction, and other friends was overwhelmingly positive, and I think very healing for the whole family
4. Just the fact that I was able to talk about all of this was very good for me as well (very difficult coupel of months). I do not know, nor can even pretend to know what impact "he" had on me, but one thing I know now is I feel a lot better, that room that was locked up for so long has had it's doors flung open and the sunlight streamed in.( I still get emotional when talking about it, or writing this post)

The Question:

Is it worth proceeding with Police/Court action when perp is already in prison?

I have so many thoughts on it myself, but have not been there/done that yet, and if he was still out there "doing it" to others, I would have no hesitation, but he is not. Is it worth the stress etc to go through it all as "additonal" charges to those already proven with others?

Any comments, thoughts ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

R

#15035 - 04/23/06 10:46 PM Re: To go to court or not.. perp already in prison!
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hello R,

First let me say "Welcome" To MaleSurvivor. Sorry you need to ask these questions in the first place, but hope you find what you are looking for here.

You say you got emotional while writing the above post. That's OK and to be expected. I got emotional reading it, and in fact am having trouble seeing the screen as I write.

You asked the question,
Quote:
Is it worth proceeding with Police/Court action when perp is already in prison?
Only you can answer that, my friend. My advise would be that if you feel it will help you as you work on healing from the devastating effects of what he did to you, then by all means, go for it. If on the other hand you feel like it would only do you more harm than good, you might want to forget about it or at least put it on hold till you are in a better place.

There may, of course, be laws that govern how long you have to file a formal complaint against him. That is the case here in the US at any rate.

Please know that whatever you decide to do, you now have the loving support and concern of many of your "brothers" here in Cyberspace.

Thanks for your bravery in speaking out.

Lots of love,

John

#15036 - 04/23/06 10:49 PM Re: To go to court or not.. perp already in prison!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
R,

firstly, you are talking about police accition when he has been put away.
Is it that he never got put away for the real crime he commited?

You dont tell how long he got in sentence etc., nor what he got nailed for.

Please be more specific,

ste

#15037 - 04/23/06 11:19 PM Re: To go to court or not.. perp already in prison!
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
R - if the perp is already in prison for paedophile crimes committed against others at a later date than the crimes against yourself, it might be that they will not prosecute!

The police should be able to advise you! I don't know if Australian Law is the same as English/British law (I know we are both part of the commonwealth, but our laws will have some differences).

I cannot tell you that you must go forward with a prosecution, that is a decision that you alone can make!

I will however tell you that it has recently taken me from October of 2004, to March the 17th of this year to achieve a conviction against the pervert that abused me (1969). It is very difficult at times going through this process, and whatever happens along the way, you have to remain focused on the end result (that prevents you from cracking up). I am still unhappy with some aspects of sentencing, so have appealed to the Attorney General...that's 19 months now since I made it an official complaint!

I wish you well whatever you decide!

Best wishes...Rik

#15038 - 04/23/06 11:41 PM Re: To go to court or not.. perp already in prison!
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
R,

Welcome to MS and I hope the site can be of use to you. I can only agree with what has been said by others above, and will just add two other points.

Before you decide whether to report this guy you might want to find out whether your report would have any impact on his imprisonment – parole for example. That information will help you decide how you should proceed. I think you will find that everyone here would like to see perps spend as much time locked away as possible, but if your report won't affect his sentence or parole there still might be ways in which reporting him would help you. It would be a way of speaking up and rejecting the boyhood silence, for example.

My second point has to do with that silence. You have this to say:

Quote:
I realised I was about 10 years before any of the current victims.. and had I been able to speak up back then, they all may have been saved from him.
So many of us have felt like that bro. I know I did. I discovered that the abuser who hurt me lived for another 31 years after he got chased away from me. Who knows how many other boys he feasted on in that time?

But we have to let go of that guilt, simply because it doesn't belong to us. It isn't up to a frightened and confused abused boy to keep others safe; it's up to adults to leave them alone in the first place. There are a million reasons why we can't even talk about the abuse, and at the end of the day the fact is that we disclose it and try to do something about it the very first moment we are ready. Not before. It wasn't your fault: not then, not now, not ever.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#15039 - 04/24/06 01:14 AM Re: To go to court or not.. perp already in prison!
12to17 Offline

Wow,

So many replies so quickly. Thanks. A few answers/comments to questions in your replies.

1. Perp got 8 years / 5.5 minimum, for 4 victims (originally 10, but apparently 6 dropped out over the 3 years) Although not the case with me, they were scouts and he a scout leader. (Believe it or not, there were 4 current or former scout leaders who were at his sentencing, who jeered at the 4 victims, stating he was "set-up" \:\( I beleive the Scout Movement is investigating them now)

2. Perp pleaded guilty, but to lessor charges (maybe in US called a Plea Bargain). I am not sure what this means, but feel he may have done a bit more with me over those 5 years in the 1970s then he did with the newer guys. So maybe sentence may be increased if I proceed or not reduced to the 5.5 years??

3. I had already started to be interviewed by the Police, but Police Dept internal changes (cessation of Child Abuse Unit and incorporating it into the general Sexual Assault Unit) and a lot of gang rapes have put me (and another who has come forward) on hold for the time being.. hence time to reflect as to what may be best course of action.

3. Law in NSW has no time limit for what is classified as level 3 aggravated rape. That is the most severe charge, and is used when both are adults and a weapon is used and victim suffers physical harm. The law here equates this to ongoing sexual assault of a minor

Thanks

Maybe best to copy and paste the law here

CRIMES ACT 1900 - SECT 61J

Aggravated sexual assault
61J Aggravated sexual assault

(1) Any person who has sexual intercourse with another person without the consent of the other person and in circumstances of aggravation and who knows that the other person does not consent to the sexual intercourse is liable to imprisonment for 20 years.
(2) In this section, "circumstances of aggravation"means circumstances in which:
(a) at the time of, or immediately before or after, the commission of the offence, the alleged offender maliciously inflicts actual bodily harm on the alleged victim or any other person who is present or nearby, or
(b) at the time of, or immediately before or after, the commission of the offence, the alleged offender threatens to inflict actual bodily harm on the alleged victim or any other person who is present or nearby by means of an offensive weapon or instrument, or
(c) the alleged offender is in the company of another person or persons, or
(d) the alleged victim is under the age of 16 years, or
(e) the alleged victim is (whether generally or at the time of the commission of the offence) under the authority of the alleged offender, or
(f) the alleged victim has a serious physical disability, or
(g) the alleged victim has a serious intellectual disability.

#15040 - 04/24/06 02:22 AM Re: To go to court or not.. perp already in prison!
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

if there is no time limit on prosecution ,wait untill he is due to be released or his sentence is reduced might be an option ,5 years for4 victims?!!dont sound like the court gave them much justice ,i will say that for me court was everybit as bad as the abuse just in a different way .my perp got 7 years ,was it worth it ,to be honest ,no .but i was 11 years old at the time and was told he would get life. 5 years is a joke its an insult to the victims.

#15041 - 05/02/06 05:04 PM Re: To go to court or not.. perp already in prison!
12to17 Offline

Update.

Thanks for your support. Had my first initial interview with the new Detective this week. Looks like full steam ahead. \:\( or \:\) not sure yet. About 3-4 others have also come forward this time around.

I have had to talk to my family again, as they will be interviwed as well, and the Detective was mainly concerned about my parents (in their 80's) and how they would handle the process, (blame/upset/etc) They are cool with it. As they said they did not know anything was happening back then, but are more then willing to be involved witht the process.

Thanks

R

PS May be best as legal action pending for me to keep out of here for the time being??? Suggestions?

#15042 - 05/02/06 07:17 PM Re: To go to court or not.. perp already in prison!
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
12to17,

On your use of the site while this case is underway, perhaps send a PM to Rik or Kirk? Both of them have had legal experiences and could comment. Or is there a legal aid person you can talk to?

It would be a good idea to clear this up. Obviously you don't want to do anything that would compromise the case against the abuser.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#15043 - 05/02/06 08:33 PM Re: To go to court or not.. perp already in prison!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
R,

I dont think that you being here is a problem with your court case.
As long as you do not directly name anybody involved.

ste

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.