Newest Members
FredM88, Vermona, Jas52, oliviaavaxj, biboy24
12109 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12109 Members
73 Forums
62492 Topics
437996 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#150256 - 04/11/07 08:18 AM Sexual attraction - NYTimes article
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Pas de Deux of Sexuality Is Written in the Genes
By NICHOLAS WADE
Published: April 10, 2007
When it comes to the matter of desire, evolution leaves little to chance. Human sexual behavior is not a free-form performance, biologists are finding, but is guided at every turn by genetic programs.

Desire between the sexes is not a matter of choice. Straight men, it seems, have neural circuits that prompt them to seek out women; gay men have those prompting them to seek other men. Women’s brains may be organized to select men who seem likely to provide for them and their children. The deal is sealed with other neural programs that induce a burst of romantic love, followed by long-term attachment.

So much fuss, so intricate a dance, all to achieve success on the simple scale that is all evolution cares about, that of raisingthe greatest number of children to adulthood. Desire may seem the core of human sexual behavior, but it is just the central act in a long drama whose>

Edited by Ken Singer, LCSW (04/11/07 08:29 AM)

#150282 - 04/11/07 10:23 AM Re: Sexual attraction - NYTimes article [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
An interesting article, pity it sheds no light on my neuro pathways which are twisted to pieces,

ste

#150419 - 04/11/07 09:15 PM Re: Sexual attraction - NYTimes article [Re: reality2k4]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Ste:
There are lots of articles about how the brain works. You are quite correct that the neuro pathways are important. New research indicates that the brain is more flexible and repairing than previously thought. Don't think that trauma-induced brain changes are always permanent and irreversible.

Ken

#150425 - 04/11/07 09:29 PM Re: Sexual attraction - NYTimes article [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
mack Offline

Loc: new mexico
Very interesting. I wonder why the brain can't control the sexual confusion in some CSA survivors. Am I Homosexual or Heterosexual?

#150454 - 04/12/07 01:20 AM Re: Sexual attraction - NYTimes article [Re: mack]
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
Ken,

Very interesting article.

Steve

#150455 - 04/12/07 01:21 AM Re: Sexual attraction - NYTimes article [Re: mack]
selene Offline

Loc: midwest

#150465 - 04/12/07 06:36 AM Re: Sexual attraction - NYTimes article [Re: selene]
Kathryn Offline

For those interested, Ann Fausto-Sterling has written two books critiqueing these studies and others like them. She's an embryologist, feminist, and self-identified bisexual woman. Her books are "Myths of Gender" and "Sexing the Body".

They're a good, fun read.

K.

#150557 - 04/12/07 08:14 PM Re: Sexual attraction - NYTimes article [Re: Kathryn]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

What has become more and more apparent to me over the past few years is that brain functioning and biology play a major role in the development of trauma, its consequences, and its eventual healing. This is exciting work.

I think the field of trauma studies is seeing the effects and consequences but the area of resultant healing is not always there yet. However, I think there is hope in efforts to change the consequences through cognitive behavioral therapy and meds. Maybe there is hope as well for non traditional western "cures" and we will find that certain things will help change the effects of trauma and abuse.

Certainly, there is hope and acknowledgement that we are not necessarily stuck or permanently affected by the trauma.

The more I hear about the new research efforts, the more optimistic I am about the future.

Ken

#150572 - 04/12/07 10:08 PM Re: Sexual attraction - NYTimes article [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Thanks Ken, that's really good news.

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.