Newest Members
jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive, BCtejas, JHNebraska
12494 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
6 registered (BuffaloCO, jahfree, GT13568, 3 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12494 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447740 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#149814 - 04/09/07 09:04 AM Cardinal Ratzinger and clerical abuse
Tom Perry Offline

Loc: London
Many Triggers

Edited by Tom Perry (11/20/07 11:26 AM)

#149824 - 04/09/07 09:57 AM Re: Cardinal Ratzinger and clerical abuse [Re: Tom Perry]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Please try giving both sides of the story. This type of sensationalism just obscures any intelligent discussion of how and why the abuse cases took place within the Church.

http://www.nationalcatholicreporter.org/update/bn080703.htm

- Mel Brooks

#149838 - 04/09/07 11:38 AM Re: Cardinal Ratzinger and clerical abuse *DELETED* [Re: Nobbynobs]
Tom Perry Offline

Loc: London
Post deleted by Tom Perry

Edited by Tom Perry (04/09/07 11:40 AM)

#149839 - 04/09/07 11:43 AM Re: Cardinal Ratzinger and clerical abuse [Re: Nobbynobs]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Nobs,

Eddie and I just added a new section on Clergy Abuse in the MS Bookstore. Would you like to have a look and advise us of any books we have missed that would give a greater sense of balance to what we offer there? They should be works directly on the topic of CSA, of course, as opposed to more general works on the positive outreach activity of the Church. Because of the nature of our link to the web they should also be books available on Amazon, but I suppose that won't be a problem.

If you post things here we will pick up on them and get them into the Bookstore as soon as possible.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#149841 - 04/09/07 11:59 AM Re: Cardinal Ratzinger and clerical abuse [Re: Tom Perry]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Tom Perry
Panorama is a hugely respected BBC programme.

I don't know how well Panorama is known in the USA, so it's perhaps worth stating that it's one of the BBC's great achievements in television reporting. It's programs are much respected and the standard of investigation and reporting is very high.

I remember seeing this show last year. It does feature interviews with victims, members of the families that have been affected, perpetrator priests and former church officials whose job it was to work on "damage control", but I did not feel that the show sensationalized the issues. Certainly it was not unintelligent.

There are of course two sides to every story. As I recall Panorama gave the Catholic Church ample opportunity to respond but it chose not to do so. So yes, that side remains untold and this is unfortunate, if not the fault of Panorama.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#149842 - 04/09/07 12:00 PM Re: Cardinal Ratzinger and clerical abuse [Re: roadrunner]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'll watch the program, but to be honest I don't really want to get into this debate. I'd much rather focus my energy on helping the Church heal, and I'll leave issues of canonical law to the professors and lawyers.

Larry, I'm not aware of any books on the Church's position regarding the abuse cases. Their position has been to be very quiet about the whole thing.

However, it might be worthwhile to have some books about the healing ministries of the Church, such as Mother Theresa's campaigns for the well-being of children in India. I'll ask my priest if he knows of anything.

- Mel Brooks

#149843 - 04/09/07 12:03 PM Re: Cardinal Ratzinger and clerical abuse [Re: roadrunner]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Tom,

Thanks for the reference. We'll make sure that gets into the Bookstore.

Any other contributions are most welcome from anyone who knows of something we don't have. Just look for it in the Bookstore and let us know if we have missed it.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#149845 - 04/09/07 12:12 PM Re: Cardinal Ratzinger and clerical abuse [Re: roadrunner]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Nobs,

We want to keep the Bookstore focused on CSA issues, but if you know of anything on the CSA/clergy debate from a viewpoint that you would find more reasonable, do let me know and it will be in the Bookstore in a day at most. It would surprise me if with all the discussion and controversy there proves to be nothing available in defense of the Church, if not produced by the Church itself. But okay, it's not a subject on which I have read a lot of the relevant literature.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#149847 - 04/09/07 12:15 PM Re: Cardinal Ratzinger and clerical abuse [Re: roadrunner]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Larry,

Anything that I have been able to find in support of the Church has been based on some pretty ugly agendas. I think it is far too soon for anyone to write in support of the Church.

- Mel Brooks

#149850 - 04/09/07 01:03 PM Re: Cardinal Ratzinger and clerical abuse [Re: Nobbynobs]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Nobby, Panorama may be respected but they tend to err on the side of sensationlizm and are not totally unbiased.
I dont necessarily believe stories that are concocted to cause
hysteria to those who view it,

ste

BTW, this week I read of a Bishop holed up in his Cathedral in Italy because he believes in incest and pedophilia.
The vigilantes are after him!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.