Newest Members
Collin, MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett
12507 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Moriji (44), Nicos (48), weharry1959 (55)
Who's Online
6 registered (MissesMe, DaiseyLady, Still, 3 invisible), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12507 Members
73 Forums
64178 Topics
448033 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#148993 - 04/05/07 02:49 AM Re: Kathy Lee on Today show [Re: Leosha]
Still Online   sad
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
well put!!!

#149000 - 04/05/07 05:25 AM Re: Kathy Lee on Today show [Re: Leosha]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
I'm sure this point is also made in Mike Lew's book too, but I don't have my copy to hand to look it up. The "vampire myth", as it's called, is also debunked in a great list of CSA myths that's right here on the site - or used to be here. I can't find it at the moment, but it must be around somewhere.

As you start disclosing and losing your sense of shame and guilt about the abuse, guys, you do encounter people who will quite innocently fall into the trap of the vampire myth. One of my closest friends on earth did that; I disclosed to him and he almost immediately asked me if I wasn't afraid of becoming an abuser myself now. That would have freaked me out pretty good awhile back, but now I can see it as an opportunity to set someone straight. That's what I did, and my friend took it all very well and was grateful to me for clarifying the point for him.

If you find yourself in this situation it's pretty easy to illustrate the false logic of the vampire myth. "Most abusers have been abused as boys, therefore abused boys are likely to turn into abusers as adults" - that's like saying the following: "People who drown got wet first, therefore people who get wet are likely to drown".

I like the emphasis in this thread on educating the public without taking offense. We get a lot further with the public if they see us coming at them with concern that they be properly informed rather than indignation at an honest - and VERY common - mistake.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#149008 - 04/05/07 07:56 AM Re: Kathy Lee on Today show [Re: roadrunner]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
When other people send in emails, it might be better to have different quotes from different sources (books). You can easily do this by using google book search

http://books.google.com/

search for victims go on to become abusers

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#149022 - 04/05/07 09:36 AM Re: Kathy Lee on Today show [Re: onlyakid]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Guys Can we start a thread to Ann called, Ann I am not a Abuser.

We can start the thread with a simple statement trying to educate her. Then we can all add our one or two line replys to it. We can email the link to the thread to Ann.

If we have 20 or 30 names on this list it would make her know she has wronged many survivors.

Tom

Edited by Muldoon (04/05/07 09:38 AM)

#149026 - 04/05/07 10:04 AM Re: Kathy Lee on Today show [Re: Muldoon]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Great idea Tom. If it's not already started I will start it when I finish this.

Leosha,

Great letter! Thanks for sharing. This is exactly the kind of thing we need to do. I hope you letter will inspire more to write something similar in tone and message!

Larry,

Can you come up with some more examples of the logical fallacy at play in the "vampire myth"?

Keep up the work everyone! ANd please let everyone you trust know and encourage them to contact Ms. Gifford and the Today show.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#149027 - 04/05/07 10:11 AM Re: Kathy Lee on Today show [Re: tartugas]
Still Online   sad
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
PERFECT TOM!!!

Dramatic effect!!!

#149078 - 04/05/07 12:19 PM Re: Kathy Lee on Today show [Re: tartugas]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
You can find it in the resource section of the site.
The invisible boy can be downloaded for free, just
google to it,

ste

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.