Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
8 registered (BraveFalcon, imharpo, Bill61, don64, innervoice, CafeMan, 2 invisible), 69 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62506 Topics
438068 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#148745 - 04/04/07 02:28 AM Let Kids Buy Vodka!
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
by Manuel Lora

I remember buying beer and cigarettes for my parents when I was growing up in Peru. And I do not remember the following things:

* The seller being treated like a rapist and sent to prison
* The buyer (that would be me) being sent to some juvenile detention center
* My parents being treated like murderers

Odd isn't it? To think that one would find a nugget of liberty in a poor ("developing" for the PC crowd) country might sound strange to some ears. Yet things today in these US of A are, well, a tad different to say the least.

We live under the blessings of a Nanny-police state where every day it becomes harder to do business. Because of federal and state laws, cashiers selling alcohol now have to do their master's bidding. Grocery stores, in order to protect their employers from being prosecuted must ask for ID pretty much from anyone (one time I saw a 50-year old woman get carded at a bar).

Needless to say, this represents an awful shift of responsibilities. It is no longer our parents and family who must take care of us. Nope. We get all almighty state. The same people who regulate toilets and fill potholes are now going to tell us who can buy certain products. We're back to being children! Oh Heavenly Government: we implore that you feed, bathe, clothe and educate us Ė that we may be ever-loyal serfs and participate in the glorious orgy of your omnipotent magnificence forever and ever! Indeed, this is exactly what the politicians want. They require us to abide by their decrees, often under the questionable excuse of "keeping you safe" or, better yet, "for your own good." After all, we might (oh, the humanity) hurt ourselves.

But to keep us "safe" the government must threaten us with taxation. That is, we must, against our will, fund an entity that will impose certain rules at gunpoint. In other words, we must "accept" to being victimized in order to be saved. When we do wrong, we donít really get better advice. Instead, we get a fine or a summons to appear in court or perhaps the ever-popular visit by a cop just to check on things.

And what about the morality of these laws? What if parents explicitly ask their kids to make certain purchases? This means that the kids now enjoy the legitimate right to do so.

Letís share an anecdote. A few years ago I was at a bar with my wifeís family. It was a large group with several adults and some "underage" children. We all sat at the bar and ordered drinks. The bar tender saw my wifeís underage cousin (who had ordered a soft drink) and said that she could not sit there because of some law. So far so good right? This is something that weíre used to by now. Truth is: this kidís mother was there. The law has replaced parental guidance.

So letís see. Instead of parenting, we have laws and regulations, and greedy and faraway politicians. When kids break the law, however, the parents get blamed, not the politicians! How in the world does this make sense? Those in government want to have it both ways. They impose norms on society but they are almost legally untouchable when things go wrong.

How, then, do anti-vice laws strengthen communities? They do not. Instead of letting families set standards, these kinds of law break communities apart. Whatís worse is that families that donít even "get in trouble" still have to pay for the enforcement of othersí problems with the government in the form of taxes. One would wish that it stopped here but when the police begin to enforce vice laws (part of that eternal "victimless crime" category) they have to devote less time dealing with real crime like murders. Of course, the police department could hire more police, but this means more taxation and more enforcement of the same laws.

Parenting involves having both the right and responsibility to set rules. This right belongs exclusively with the parents. The state has nothing to do with parenting at all.

Repeal all "for our own good" laws. Allow drunk driving! Let grandma own an Uzi! And for all that is sacred, let us spend our money the way we see fit. Disband the vice squad at once.

April 3, 2007

Manuel Lora [send him mail] works at Cornell University as a TV and multimedia producer. Visit his blog. http://www.lewrockwell.com/lora/m.lora33.html

#148746 - 04/04/07 02:30 AM Re: Let Kids Buy Vodka! [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Sorry, when I read this, I just HAD to share it.

#148757 - 04/04/07 05:48 AM Re: Let Kids Buy Vodka! [Re: Hauser]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Its all about two fictitious words "choice and freedom", or any mixture of those two.
Slowly the state takes control of its citizens, until they revolt against the machine,

ste

#148765 - 04/04/07 07:44 AM Re: Let Kids Buy Vodka! [Re: reality2k4]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Alan,

I'm not sure I would go so far as Lora, but one thing I resent is the replacement of support and guidance by micro-regulation and of course punishment. As an American expatriate living in Europe and the Middle East for most of the past 35 years, this is something that still strikes me. When I lived in Rome for awhile, for example, I often sent my 15-year-old son out to the wine shop to pick up a bottle of something nice to go with dinner. It was entirely normal and of course he loved the idea he could do that. \:\) Alcohol wasn't something naughty and forbidden, and that robbed it of much of its attraction. I don't think I ever say a crowd of teens staggering around drunk in Rome.

What a contrast to what I grew up with. My grandmother took an oath of temperance in the 1920s and kept it to the day she died. My aunt refused to acknowledge the existence of my DOG because I had named him "Whiskey". And on and on. I was using alcohol to cope with the abuse by the time I was 13, and I was having blackouts by 16 I think. At a party I didn't consider I was having a good time until I had thrown up at least once. But still, needing something I had been taught was so evil just made me feel even worse about myself.

I remember one night, when my son was about 16 and out at a friend's party, he called home and asked me, Dad, can you come get me - our driver is drunk and I don't want to get in the car with him. I wish I had been able to reach out like that when I was a teenager.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#148776 - 04/04/07 09:31 AM Re: Let Kids Buy Vodka! [Re: roadrunner]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
The part of the post about buying cigarrettes and alcohol for his parents made me think back to my own childhood days. We had a small grocery store close by our house (tiny, actually, it was an add-on addition to a house). My parents would send me there to buy their cigarettes all the time. The woman who ran it never questioned me when I came in asking for a couple packs of Kool Lights. I remember one morning when I was about 10 or so, my mother told me to go there and buy her some Kotexs. I was mortified and embarrassed beyond belief. They were on a shelf behind the counter and I had to ask for them. Ugh.

#148791 - 04/04/07 10:37 AM Re: Let Kids Buy Vodka! [Re: EGL]
dean1320 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Atlanta, GA , US
yeah, i have took that route too. buying cigarettes for mother because she didn't want to rid herself from the CB radio.. go figure. I started drinking again when i was 16 or 17 , just to numb my thoughts. i always had this "evil" voice in my head that hated me, and was never afraid to let me know. I have pretty much moved beyond that "voice", but i still struggle with the damage it left behind. peace ya'll.

#148918 - 04/04/07 06:52 PM Re: Let Kids Buy Vodka! [Re: EGL]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Eddie,

Originally Posted By: EGL
I remember one morning when I was about 10 or so, my mother told me to go there and buy her some Kotexs. I was mortified and embarrassed beyond belief. They were on a shelf behind the counter and I had to ask for them. Ugh.

Man, do I ever remember that one! I was grocery shopping with my Mom and I saw the tampons. I had been curious for some time anyway, so of course I asked her right on the spot what these were for. She told me they were for Mommy, so I asked her does she eat them. I think it was shortly after that my Dad gave me "the talk". I was mortified when I discovered what tampons were actually for!

I look back and it still amazes me how naive and innocent I was. I had already been abused for about two years, but I was still utterly unaware of anything else about sex.

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.