Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
2 registered (Sojourn Survivor, traveler), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63789 Topics
445460 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#147837 - 03/30/07 03:59 PM Trying to boost confidence in myself.
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I don't even need this PC, but I built it because I just got passed up AGAIN for a PC tech position at a local prestigious medical organization.

I bought all these individual components online and put them all together in JUST OVER FOUR HOURS, which is NOT BAD for a dishwasher if you ask me!

I had to buy the power supply:

then the motherboard:

then the CPU:

I also bought an extra cooling fan cuz I knew that my system would be SMOKIN:

And of course I needed a CPU fan:

And I needed a video card for all the latest and greatest games:

And a DVD drive, (not a burner cuz I don't burn DVD's)

And some nice fast 400Mhz RAM:

I put in this hard drive that I already had:

Then I install all this in this ATX Mid-Tower case. Note the built in handle, which is very convenient for people like me that like to link up with other people's LANs for gaming. I had only ONE issue when I first turned it on, the video card wasn't seated properly so I got system board beep errors. All I did was re-seat every thing and I noticed what the problem was right away.

I put all this together in JUST OVER 4 hours. NOT BAD if you ask me. But of course, I'm still not "qualified" to work for MMPC or Troy Schools or wherever else might offer me a decent standard of living cuz I don't have *Experience*.

Well FUCK THEM, they can hire all the "normal" people they want and I'll just keep washing dishes and short-order cooking cuz apparently that's all I'm good for.

#147841 - 03/30/07 04:18 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I agree - FUCK THEM. As for this:

"cuz apparently that's all I'm good for"

I would like to add a resounding BULLSHIT.

Now not being a gamer, I personally would go for a standard mom-and-pop case, although those neon fan lights do catch my eye now and then. I have two machines in the old beige cases. Boring, yes, but they work for me.

Edited by FormerTexan (03/30/07 04:28 PM)

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#147842 - 03/30/07 04:33 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Hauser, that's pretty damn incredible. \:o I'm doing good to figure out how to turn the thing on. I bought a new laptop a few weeks ago, and Vista is a bitch. You are one skilled individual. Keep plugging away at it, someday you will be recognized for the valuable employee you will be.

#147843 - 03/30/07 04:34 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: FormerTexan]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Hauser Maybe you should talk with a computer repair and networking business. It may not pay you the money the other jobs would but you could get some experence and move on from there.

Did you shoot the photos. I think that they look excellent. I am very impressed with all your work. Keep moving forward.
Tom

#147846 - 03/30/07 04:51 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Muldoon]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

They were stock photos of the items that I bought from tigerdirect.com

I have dropped off my resumes to every major IT contractor in my area, they don't give a shit about me or what I can do.

#147847 - 03/30/07 04:53 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Not even Best Buy is hiring. I've been told that I should move. But...............jesus.............move and get ANOTHER cooking job, and go job hunting AGAIN and get turned down AGAIN.

Maybe I should just be happy being poor and marginally employed.

I've BEEN TRYING to better myself, but I need help! I need a chance! Would somebody PLEASE interview me?

#147851 - 03/30/07 05:10 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

What I REALLY don't understand is that I thought these skills that I've learned at this job-training program that I took would help me be marketable, they have NOT.

I see more ads in the paper for COOKS than I do for computer techs, what's THAT all about? Apparently, cooks are in more demand than PC techs, so then why don't it pay more?

GOD this is frustrating.................

#147860 - 03/30/07 07:46 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hauser Sorry it is so frustrating. Dealing with the SA and job networking at the same time can be so draining.

Sounds like you have been doing all the right things but still the opertunities haven't come your way.

I have been trying to learn about Digital Signage because that is a new field and no one has experence in it. It deals with the computer world but much more.
There are some email newsletter that you can get that would help you to learn this new field.

Digital Signage Weekly and Digital Content Producer are 2 sources of info on this new field . A lot of what I read is over my head but I am sure that you would understand it. Digital Signage will be everywhere in the near furture.
Tom

#147865 - 03/30/07 09:01 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Muldoon]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
We have digital signs _everywhere_ here now. They are all owned by either ClearChannel, Viacom, or CBS.

Hauser, have you had someone write you a professional resume? A good resume can open doors.

- Mel Brooks

#147868 - 03/30/07 09:28 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Nobbynobs]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Hauser,

Nobby makes an excellent point. I always tell my students to work up a clear and concise resume that gives a good idea of their talents and qualifications in less than ten seconds. It's often only after that quick first look that a prospective employer takes a close look at a candidate.

I'm awed by you guys who have this kind of talent. You are getting this message from someone who just today figured out what a pixel is...by asking his son!

Good luck in your search for better employment and try not to let the disappointments affect you too badly. It's so easy to get down on ourselves over these setbacks.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#147915 - 03/31/07 01:32 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have a well framed resume, it's very well put together I think, all except the work history, which is stable, but only shows me as a fucking cook for 20 years, oh and a brief temp position and an internship. Ask Zenboy or Robbie Browne if my resume is put together well. I did a good job with that resume, I think.

Larry, I'm not just "getting down on myself", I'm watching my life pass me by and I don't know how to take control of it, I NEVER DID.

#147967 - 03/31/07 10:52 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hauser, if you are interested, I wrote a guide on how to write and market your resume. I can post a copy if you like.

- Mel Brooks

#147986 - 03/31/07 12:15 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Nobbynobs]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Please do Nobby, it couldn't hurt.

It ALSO couldn't hurt if I wasn't living the the nation's 2ond WORST economy, surpassed ONLY by Mississippi. My God even West Virginia has a better economy than Michigan right now.

I have no faith in just "moving" to "where the jobs are" cuz I, for some odd reason, don't have faith in my ability to market myself anywhere, except in restaurants.

#148091 - 03/31/07 11:46 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here you go. I wrote it in a professional context, so it's a bit impersonal. But I think that it's a pretty good picture of the reality of the job market. (It's definitely still like this in IT.)

---------------------------------

Here is how I screen and hire for mid-level management in an marketing/IT/telecoms environment. It might help you.

Before I start, here is the reality of being hired.

I have a limited amount of time to review resumes, so I screen very aggressively. I don't usually have trouble finding a few suitable candidates for a position, so I can pretty much afford to screen 75-80% of the resumes I receive without even reading the first line. I am sure that I have screened good people, but to be perfectly honest, it is not my job to dig through a bad resume to find out if someone is good. I have not had a single case where I have been unable to staff a position. If you have a bad resume, you won't even make it to the stage where a hiring manager is reading it.

That said, here is my process:

1st thing, Check your formatting. This is vital. I routinely get 100+ resumes when I am recruiting, and I have found that a great way to reduce my workload is to screen out the badly formatted resumes right away. This includes small fonts,>

Edited by Nobbynobs (03/31/07 11:58 PM)

- Mel Brooks

#148098 - 04/01/07 12:54 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Nobbynobs]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you for your insight on this matter Nobs. Ummmm..........all this does is make me feel more hopeless. I'm not blaming you I just mean to say that..............how can I POSSIBLY stand up to someone with years of experience in this field? Interests? I've NEVER HAD ANY, THAT'S WHY I'M such an underachiever, cuz I never developed any marketable skills when in High School or in early adulthood.

My God, my resume shows that I held a job for over 6 years in one restaurant alone, that SHOULD prove that I get along good with people.

I don't ever see me breaking into this Nobs, I know that this was not your intention of course, I just .......... I just lose hope when I see that what I have to do just to get noticed, let alone hired is just a dream. I can't compete on this level. Something REALLY bothers me when I see 22yo kids being hired and I'm not even being interviewed.

#148128 - 04/01/07 08:54 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hauser, it really does help to get a professional to help you, like a career consultant. They can walk you through your skills and background and help you prepare for talking to employers.

- Mel Brooks

#148137 - 04/01/07 11:26 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Steve,

The process that Nobby outlines is something I can confirm as well for my own field. When I'm reviewing applications I figure my job is to find a top candidate for whatever position I have, not rescue someone hidden behind a second-rate CV. I simply don't have time. How someone's resume presents them is absolutely vital. If you have a really good resume, okay, that's a place to start from.

I noted your comment:

Originally Posted By: Hauser
Larry, I'm not just "getting down on myself", I'm watching my life pass me by and I don't know how to take control of it, I NEVER DID.

I understand you there, Steve, but I would just say that confidence does play a big role in how we present ourselves and how we perform in the workplace. This seems to be an issue for you.

I'm not saying that in a blaming way, just pegging a point that might help you. I do remember most of what you have told us here, and man, in your situation I think I would have difficulty with confidence too. Are you seeing a T? That really is one route that could help you a lot. I'm trying to think here of pretty basic strategies, Steve, rather than ways to deal with this or that specific point.

One thing more in conclusion: Keep talking about these things and how you feel. I remember how much that helped me, especially when I felt like I was really down for the count.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#148152 - 04/01/07 12:19 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Hauser,

I'd like to take a slightly different tack here. Nobs has made some great suggestions with regards to how to approach the issue from a professional standpoint. I'd like to take a second to mention what I senseing on a more personal level.

My friend, you are angry. And you have every right to be. Life has dealt to you from the bottom of it's deck so far. That said, even though I am confident that you represent yourself professionally and respectfully when you speak to these people, I can't help but wonder about the more subtle ways your anger might be leaking out.

You don't have years of IT experience, that's true, but you have a skillset and familiarity with computers that should put you on par with your peers. So what do they have that you don't? That's a question I can't answer, but I bet that you can. And I'll also bet that if you search past the angry repsonses that will be at the top of the list, you might find some harder truths that come to light. Have you taken a training course at a local technical institute, such as De Vry? It might help open doors that are otherwise shut to you right now. Do you need the technical knowledge that the offer there, perhaps not, but you can certainly make great use of the networking and career placement resources.

Please understand that I'm not in anyway trying ot make you feel bad. I totally repsect and agree with the fact that you're playing in game where the dealer sometimes seems to have it in for you. But the fact of the matter is that you can always try to find more success by heading in another direction.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#148168 - 04/01/07 01:30 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
mack Offline

Loc: new mexico
Hauser, I wish I had your talent. Its enough that I can get into chat and check my email. All that tech stuff baffles my mind. Do you have any call centers in your area. I know we had an AOL call center here that paid well. They are always looking for computer savvy people like you.

#148169 - 04/01/07 01:31 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: mack]
mack Offline

Loc: new mexico
By the way, I think cooking is a talent too.

#148174 - 04/01/07 01:47 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: mack]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

I took a Job-training course at a local community college. http://grcc.edu/?PageID=2642

I've also, on my own initiative, taken and passed two notable certifications; the A+ and Network+ certs.

http://certification.comptia.org/a/default.aspx
http://certification.comptia.org/network/default.aspx

Employers don't care. They want the creme de la creme! They want: 5-7 YEARS of experience, they want experience in Active Directory, which costs BIG bucks to own, they want project managment experience,.........I'm stopping right now this is getting depressing.

I've heard over and over and over that nursing is in high demand, but in order to do that you have to pass microbiology, and in order to pass that you have to know chemistry, and in order to pass that you have to know advanced algebra. So what am I supposed to do? Try college for a FOURTH time? And drop out AGAIN?

I once landed a position as a CNC Technician for a local contractor, and he let me go because I didn't have "Mechanical Apptitude"

Still not deterred in my quest to better myself, I landed a position as a manager-in-training for a local restaurant chain. Wow cool right? Job security and benefits? WRONG. They let me go too, because I didn't have "leadership skills".

So, I've finally FOUND what I'm good at and guess what? So are THOUSANDS of other people. Great.

How did you guys do it? How did you just "go to college?" How did you actually pass classes like Algebra? HOW?

#148175 - 04/01/07 01:47 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Morning Star Offline

Loc: Home
Reassembly of our Self esteem takes place the same way we assemble a computer, one bit at a time.

When we follow our intuition for our every single choice, and then follow it through with joy and with respect for our inner guidance we not just gain our respect, but also we learn to honour our choices with actions.

Why Don't People Heal, by Caroline Myss; 30 days to clean up your vibrations - Abraham-Hicks

#148177 - 04/01/07 01:53 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Morning Star]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Every place I go to that does IT work for corporations and institutions tells me "We don't need anyone, thank you."

Every place that DOES advertise an open position that I'm qualified for never calls me.

Every time I follow up with a phone call or stop back in to show that I have more than just a passing interest in their company, I get a statement of "No one is available to see you right now, but if you would like to leave your resume with our office............."

Jesus, that last job I got, cooking, I didn't even have to APPLY, all I did was walk in and introduce myself to the GM of the store and he hired me just from TALKING to me. Why is this so fucking hard?

#148178 - 04/01/07 01:58 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

The professional world, with all it's resumes and suits and ties and good-old-boys networks that only hire people that they personally know is BULLSHIT. Fuck you all. Go ahead and hire all those people that go sailing together or meet at the ymca or know eachother from church, GO AHEAD. jerks.

#148179 - 04/01/07 02:06 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Hauser,

I hear your frustration. And I'm sympathize. It's so frustrating to work so hard to learn and train and to find that other people still find you wanting.

I'd like to point out again something that I hear coming through in your posts. There is a skillset that you are missing, and it's not one that you can pick up in a training program. The reason employers look for someon with years of experience is not primarily becasue they want someone who knows all the nuts and bolts -- every company and uses its own system in its own way. No matter how experienced someone is in the field, there will always be a period of training and learning when someone is hired.

What the company is looking for is someone with the personal skills to display 2 traits - competence and consistent performance under stressful situations AND the social skills to integrate smoothly into an already existing social situation (granted, the loner IT guy mytique makes this latter point seem less important, but it's not).

Hauser, my friend, it seems to me that what you're not communicating or showing to all these poelp who are potential employers in teh the fields you have training in is the very traits that got you the job as a cook. What did you show to the guy who hired you on the spot that you're not showing to all the other people? How did that situation differ from the other ones?

What I'm trying to do is to get you to change your poitn of view. Something isn't working about the way in which you are approaching all these other jobs. And that something isn't something lacking in you, nor necessarily a flaw in the system itself. You need to find the door in that wall. Trying to get over it from the outside isn't working. BUt somewhere there is a door, but you haven't seen it yet. Keep looking, I know you can find it.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#148181 - 04/01/07 02:30 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: tartugas]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

I got ONE interview with a potential (and great paying) employer, in the last 6 months.

In the course of the interview, he started asking me if I had experience in SQL, Active Directory, Cisco Routers, etc. I replied that he could clearly see in my resume, that although I didn't have the experience that he obviously desired, that I had the aptitude to learn it. He then told me that HE DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME to train someone. That's when I knew I hit another dead end in my goal to better myself. That's when I got short-tempered with him and told him that I'm obviously wasting his time then, so why did he even call me for an interview? I told him if he's looking for someone with that experience, then why did he even call me? I was irritated that I took the time to meet someone that only set me up for disappointment. SQL, LOL. HELLO????????? Don't you think I would have put that on my damned resume if I had EXPERIENCE IN THAT?

So what the fuck am I supposed to do? Buy an 800 dollar program (active directory) and get good at it? Should I also buy multi-hundred dollar cisco routers and get good at configuring them? My GOD why were all these other people in the IT world given "a chance" and I'm not good enough?

#148183 - 04/01/07 02:44 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I would be pissed off too, and I gave up a long time ago.
Keep trying, one day you will get something.

Any more probs go here, Bare bones troubleshooting

ste

#148245 - 04/01/07 08:52 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: reality2k4]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
In the course of the interview, he started asking me if I had experience in SQL, Active Directory, Cisco Routers, etc. I replied that he could clearly see in my resume, that although I didn't have the experience that he obviously desired, that I had the aptitude to learn it. He then told me that HE DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME to train someone. That's when I knew I hit another dead end in my goal to better myself. That's when I got short-tempered with him and told him that I'm obviously wasting his time then, so why did he even call me for an interview? I told him if he's looking for someone with that experience, then why did he even call me? I was irritated that I took the time to meet someone that only set me up for disappointment. SQL, LOL. HELLO????????? Don't you think I would have put that on my damned resume if I had EXPERIENCE IN THAT?

Hauser, seriously, see a career coach. You're just spinning your wheels with this.

You hit the nail on the head on two points. 1) people hire people that they know, or that are referred to them. It just works that way. 2) Employers want the best. This is normal.

Getting angry at the way that employers hire is doing nothing but hurting you, and if that quote up there is typical of how you are handling rejection from an employer, then I'm not really surprised that you aren't having much luck finding something.

All you had to say when that guy screened you (which was all he was doing, to save himself time and you the stress of going through an interview when you weren't getting the job) was ask him if he could think of any other positions within the organisation that you might be qualified to fill. By handling that situation negatively, you basically destroyed any chance you had at getting a job at that organisation.

I think that Tartugas and Larry have it right. You've got to lose that anger, because it's keeping you from the future that you want for yourself. Speak to a counsellor, and get her to take you through the basics of interviewing and communicating with employers. You might also want to consider joining a job finding club. They do things like practice interviews and resume coaching, and I think you would really enjoy that kind of thing.

And finally, speak to some IT recruiters in your area. Ask them for an information interview. Remember that recruiters WANT to represent you, because if someone hires you, they make money. Find out from a recruiter what you need to be doing to get hired in the field you want to work in.

- Mel Brooks

#148253 - 04/01/07 09:28 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Hauser,

If you don't mind I'd like to come back to the issue of confidence and anger. Have a look at what you told us earlier:

In the course of the interview, he started asking me if I had experience in SQL, Active Directory, Cisco Routers, etc. I replied that he could clearly see in my resume, that although I didn't have the experience that he obviously desired, that I had the aptitude to learn it. He then told me that HE DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME to train someone. That's when I knew I hit another dead end in my goal to better myself. That's when I got short-tempered with him and told him that I'm obviously wasting his time then, so why did he even call me for an interview? I told him if he's looking for someone with that experience, then why did he even call me?

Bro, he called you, despite the fact that you didn't seem to have this or that specific qualification, because he liked other things he saw and he thought let's have a look. He was basically telling you, come on in and let's talk and see if something can be made to work here.

When I was younger and interviewing for positions, as soon as I landed the interview I made SURE I did my homework about the employer - in my case a university. I looked through their course offerings in my field and related areas, I checked out their research profile to see how I would fit in, and then I sat down and thought of arguments I could make and points I could score in my favor. I also thought carefully about my shortcomings for this particular job and tried to think of ways I could reply to or minimize possible objections or reservations they might have.

All this takes time, but more importantly it takes emotional resources. If I had been seething with frustration and resentment I simply would not have had anything left over for the preparations I needed to make. And during the interview I would not have been able to roll with the punches and present myself in the best possible light. I would not have been able to shine, in the midst of lots of other qualified people, as THE ONE.

I think you would be helped a lot by working on the issues of confidence and anger with someone. Nobby has made some great suggestions and I can't think of anything further to add. But really, technical qualifications aren't the only factor these days and I can assure you that of the many search committees I have been on, none of them hired an "inside" candidate (from the church, golf club, etc., as you suspect). Employers are looking at all aspects of a candidate, so areas apart from the strictly professional qualifications really are important too.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#148267 - 04/01/07 11:07 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
deck Offline

Loc: Indiana
Hey Hauser,

It's been a long time since I've posted out here but saw your post. It can be frustrating looking for a position in IT right now. Even with more than 10 years experience in IT when I got laid off a couple years ago it took me almost a year to find another position. I say this just to let you know that it is tough but it sounds like you do have the ability. Hang tough. It's a process, as is so much that we deal with. YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THINGS. Do what you can to continue your education. Read what you can about Active Directory, SQL, etc. When you get an interview-go over the want-ad that you replied to. Review the applications, operating systems, etc. that they mention. If you're asked about one of them then be honest on your level of experience BUT also give them idea of what you found in your review. Honestly, they rarely expect you to know everything they list in the ad. This shows initiative on your part which is something that is always desired.

Another thing, you're right a lot of companies are looking for Microsoft and Active Directory experience. This is not a secret. Look around, everyone has MS on their system. But a forward thinking individual might look towards LINUX. You can get a desktop version of Red Hat Desktop or Novell SUSE for less than VISTA/XP. Rat Hat's Fedora Project is open source. System requirements for LINUX tends to less than Microsoft and LINUX is less resource intensive than Microsoft. Certification for LINUX requires fewer tests, if you decide to go that route. Currently LINUX is a more secure platform and is easier to customize to a particular environment. Remember, it doesn't just cost you less money; it costs corporation less money. Microsoft is still the big kid on the block but LINUX is becoming more and more popular. Knowledge in both OSs increases your opportunities.

Just remember, you are doing the right things. Keep doing them. You will find what you're looking for.

Take care,
deck

#148273 - 04/01/07 11:27 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: deck]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you, all of you.

My new T is charging $120/hr, courtesy of my Dad, who's been trying to help me. Nothing is working. My attitude has not changed since the day I came here.

In a recent conversation with my Dad, he told me that he now notices something about me that he overlooked before. What he was talking about was the fact that I never developed an interest in ANYTHING when I was growing up, (except getting high/drinking/video games etc.) He said that he never ONCE remembers me asking him for a tool that I could use to work on something like a project or some kind of hobby. I NEVER DEVELOPED ANY SKILLS GROWING UP, NOTHING, NONE!

So now I'm TRYING to do something about it and it's just not in me, someone is going to have to step in and intercede because I simply can't run my life, I've tried, I'VE TRIED. But this ongoing failure to progress in life, combined with the realization that the window of opportunity to make the most of my life is closing FAST...............whatever...........thank you for your thoughts. I'm shaking my head in disgust right now.

#148278 - 04/01/07 11:46 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Hauser,

Hey bro, really, ease up on yourself a bit. Let me introduce you to the world's greatest moron when it comes to tools of all kinds...me!!! \:\) I could never give a fuck about tools or anything like that when I was a kid. I wanted to read, burrow away in the library, dream about dinosaurs and Captain Kidd, sit on the swing out back and zone out, whatever. And yep, the abuse had me all fixed up to get into alcohol by the time I was 13 and drugs soon after that.

But you know what? The past is past and that's it. I can't change mine and your's is gone too. All we can do is look forward and work on where we are now. You talk about help, and sure, let's think about that. Some ideas of various kinds have been mentioned earlier in this thread. But I think it's really important to resist the temptation to tear yourself up. You have done nothing to shake your head in disgust at.

Much love,
Larry

PS: Oh, I forgot. I just found out this weekend that a pixel isn't some kind of east European sandwich. I was talking to Eddie (EGL) and mentioned this, and he roared with laughter - thought I was kidding.....sigh. I was going to ask for mine with a pickle and fries.

(Woody Guthrie)

#148318 - 04/02/07 05:46 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
thwap Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Open source software can help you prove to yourself and the rest of the world that you have skills, dedication and can work well with some of the most opinionated and obstinate people in the world. Everything in free software development is based on merit and everything you do or write can easily be found on Google. This can be a blesssing or a curse, but I try to focus on the blessings. I learned a lot from open source projects, and now it fills the better part of my resume. I haven't made a lot of money doing it, but many people I know make a solid living doing what they love and having fun.

Right now I am in a situation similar to yours. In fact I consider myself largely unemployable at the moment. I spend a lot of my time bugged-out, anxious and crying. I really don't have the confidence for job hunting, let alone going being in public. I feel safe reporting bugs and nobody knows I spent all day writing one bug report between devistating waves of depression. And at the end of the day I actually did something. Maybe I didn't do much and maybe I am still broke, but I stayed safe and I contributed something to the world.

It occured to me recently that this recovery stuff is going to take a while. I want to heal and I really don't care if I make a lot of money any more. I know it may sound strange, but I had to lower my expectations in order to survive. My goal each week is to make it to the end of the week alive. And when I get there I am relieved and happy that G-d graciously hooked me up with another week.

Those things that you are looking for will come from actively participating in your own recovery, not by any other means.

Steve

#151144 - 04/16/07 01:59 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

For those who would like to know:

I just landed an interview with TEK Systems, for an entry-level PC Tech position. God I hope this works out. I need this.

#151147 - 04/16/07 02:46 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wow, THIS is cool. Get this: I called a former supervisor when I worked an all-too-brief temporary position as a LAN tech for EDS (the company the Ross Perot founded). I just wanted to remind him that he should expect a phone call from a potential employer.

Guess what? He told me that he had been looking for my email and that he was glad that I called cuz they NEED an entry level PC tech at the huge GM plant here in Grand Rapids. Wow. Is this real? They might actually hire me right in! Well let's see what happens in the next day or so!

#151148 - 04/16/07 02:48 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Awesome news, my friend! Awesome news!

1. That

#151151 - 04/16/07 03:19 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: FormerTexan]
Brian Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Upstate NY
Quote:
Guess what? He told me that he had been looking for my email and that he was glad that I called cuz they NEED an entry level PC tech at the huge GM plant here in Grand Rapids. Wow. Is this real? They might actually hire me right in! Well let's see what happens in the next day or so!

That is a great example of the power of networking! VERY few people find jobs through the news papers, it's all about personal and professional relationships. I hope it works out for you!! Good Luck!

Brian

#151153 - 04/16/07 03:27 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Brian]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

That's great news, Alan. I hope this works out for you.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#151169 - 04/16/07 06:00 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Glad to see good things are turning around for you,super news Hauser

#151170 - 04/16/07 06:07 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Muldoon]
deck Offline

Loc: Indiana
Congratulations!!

#151171 - 04/16/07 06:09 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: deck]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
AWSOME!!!! GOOD NEWS!

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#151210 - 04/16/07 09:14 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Still]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

*fingers and toes crossed*

- Mel Brooks

#151474 - 04/18/07 01:35 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Nobbynobs]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was 1/2 hour late. I thought she said 11:30, she apparently said 11. Why did I write 11:30 down? I don't know. I wasn't NERVOUS or anything talking to her on the phone.

She still wanted to see me. The interview went smoothly, I did almost all the talking, I highlighted very well why I wanted to work for THEM and not some of their competition. The main purpose of the interview was to see what kind of PERSON I was, not to test my knowledge that the job duties entail.

So, yes I was late but the interview was totally positive to me. She gave me her card, and told me that she would be calling my references and that she would be consulting her colleagues about what local positions I might be best suited to fill.

So........she didn't outright reject me just cuz I was "late" I think. I was exactly 3 minutes early for the presumed time that I was supposed to be there.

I felt like I was "tuning out" when I was talking to her on the phone, like, after I hung up, I couldn't even remember what the hell we agreed upon. What the HELL is wrong with me?

WHY THE HELL COULD I NOT EVEN WRITE DOWN THE CORRECT TIME?

Whatever.

From what I've said here, it IS a job offer in the works right? I mean, why would she give me her card and say that she would be actively consulting her colleagues if she didn't have a favorable impression of me.

Couldn't even write down the correct time, AMAZING. I DON'T understand me and how I can screw up the most SIMPLE of tasks.

#151477 - 04/18/07 01:43 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh and that other place? Well they gave me the details of the job de>

#151481 - 04/18/07 01:51 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Alan,

First, go easy on yourself about your late arrival. It's not a fatal error and from what you say the interview went well. I wouldn't have thought they would hire you without taking references, so the fact they are doing that shows you have made it to the next hurdle.

On that intimidating job advert, I bet that describes their ideal candidate and not their minimum requirements. I have seen lots of crazy ads like that in my own field. So it's a tightrope really: it's good to apply for positions where you think you have something to offer, even if you might be quite challenged at first, but at the same time it's wise to stay away from jobs where you know you would be overwhelmed.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#151482 - 04/18/07 01:57 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

fantagrl, for your information.

I've gone to Best Buy after applying online, then walked into the store and asked to see the GM or sales manager about a possible Geek Squad position,........"Thank you but we don't need anyone."

The same thing happened with Circuit City, and CompUSA. "We don't need anyone, we've had the same techs for YEARS."

What I don't understand is why there are cooking/restaurant jobs listed ALL THE TIME but not a single entry-level IT position. And since THIS is so, why is it that they don't PAY? It makes no sense to me that IT jobs are always so readily filled, I mean, if there are SO MANY "IT guys" around, why aren't the wages driven down to the meager level that foodservice-level jobs pay? It makes NO sense in the world of economics.

#151486 - 04/18/07 02:08 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Alan,

My wife owned her own restaurant for awhile, a cafe in Oxford, so I can comment on this. The turnover was VERY high and sometimes she had a cook who didn't even stay a week. So far as I could see, it just didn't seem to be a very stable situation, probably because the pay wasn't so great. A restaurant's margin of profit is pretty low, unless you have a famous place.

IT, however, pays well and I guess the guys who get those jobs stay there. There isn't a "pot" that's being stirred so that newcomers have a chance to get in.

Just a thought from an IT idiot. \:D

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#151487 - 04/18/07 02:15 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: Hauser]
fantagrl Offline

Post deleted by fantagrl

Edited by ModTeam (04/18/07 05:47 PM)

#151492 - 04/18/07 02:29 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: fantagrl]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
From what I've said here, it IS a job offer in the works right? I mean, why would she give me her card and say that she would be actively consulting her colleagues if she didn't have a favorable impression of me.

Definitely sounds like you passed a screen there. Don't forget to send a quick thank you note.

- Mel Brooks

#151497 - 04/18/07 02:37 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: fantagrl]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've given up looking for government work, they want you to pass a civil-service exam, which are HARD, (I failed the only one I took)
Oh, and they want *experience* too. I HATE THAT WORD NOW!!! IF THERE IS ANY WORD IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THAT I HATE IT'S *EXPERIENCE*!!!! HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.

I'm so tired of looking for a decent paying job. Is it REALLY so much to desire to afford to pay for retirement, a home, health insurance, etc? Ridiculous.

30 years ago you could:

1. Drop out of high school
2. Get hired into a UNION job turning nuts on an assembly line
3. Afford a home, a car, a family, insurance, etc.
4. BE FINANCIALLY SECURE WITHOUT GOING TO SOME STUPID COLLEGE FOR 4 OR 6 YEARS. This is bullshit!

#151499 - 04/18/07 02:40 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

I know that this is the "male survivors" thread that is supposed to deal with recovery issues in the broad sense. But this is how CSA has effected ME. It's made me the ultimate underachiever, (aka loser) and if I don't get that job offer, that opinion of myself can never change.

Yes nobs I wrote a short and sweet Thank You note.

#151580 - 04/18/07 08:35 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Alan,

30 years ago you could:

1. Drop out of high school
2. Get hired into a UNION job turning nuts on an assembly line
3. Afford a home, a car, a family, insurance, etc.
4. BE FINANCIALLY SECURE WITHOUT GOING TO SOME STUPID COLLEGE FOR 4 OR 6 YEARS. This is bullshit!

Well, you won't get any argument from me! I can remember gas for 25 cents a gallon and postage stamps for 4 cents. My best friend in college had a brother who decided against college and trained as a mason/bricklayer instead. Both brothers did very well!

But you do have that one possibility, right? Why not focus your enrgies and attention on that for the time being? It may work out that they want a follow-up interview, for example.

Just a thought.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#151589 - 04/18/07 08:45 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
dan17 Offline

wow I never knew life was so easy 30 years ago!
maybe I was born at the wrong time!:)

sorry about all the job letdowns Hauser
although I agree with the others...it sounds like you have a real chance of getting the position this time
awesome computer equipment!
i wish I could build computers like that ;0

you've got talent and then some

#151592 - 04/18/07 08:52 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: dan17]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Hauser, I hope this works out for you, man. Let us know how it goes. We're all pulling for you.

#151617 - 04/18/07 11:00 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: EGL]
ChainBreaker Offline

Loc: Michigan
Wow, Hauser, it looks like you really do have something good coming. It will be hard for you to believe when it actually comes through, but it will be real. Hang with it, man!

#151655 - 04/19/07 06:01 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: EGL]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yea Hauser..Hope it All Works Out For The best For You..............I Am One Of those High School drop outs.........i failed in school.........2nd grade.6 th grade....poor preformance............csa and no support ...could have caused this...........yet for some reason i was going to move foreward.........had a lot of crappy jobs..........yet today i have a good one.....to me it is.....it didnt happen over night....due to the excessive bad feelings about myself...and my drinking...and anger outburst...........been fired a few times.....quit a lot.........moved around the usa a lot............not staying in one place..running from myself............................well sorry.................didnt mean to go off ...........about myself.............i surley hope all works out for you..........i know all about that rejection.of trying to land a good job.................steve

#151876 - 04/20/07 02:58 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: sabata]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

It's been 4 days and she has not called. The guy that forwarded my resume to her has not responded to my email. I think he's mad at me for fucking up and being late. I don't feel good about this. Jesus.

#151879 - 04/20/07 03:04 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
dan17 Offline

stop blaming yourself over little mistakes
you wrote down the wrong time
so what?
if they're so closed-minded as to deny you a position based on a simple, honest mistake then it's their own problem

#151880 - 04/20/07 03:06 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: dan17]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

It was one of the few chances I had to escape this life of under achievement and I blew it. It's like..............it's like hell I don't know.

I don't understand me.

#151882 - 04/20/07 03:13 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
dan17 Offline

what underachievement?
from your post it sounds like you're trying your very hardest to achieve your lifetime dream
you've worked doggedly at this job search

and you didn't blow it. remember, you still don't know for SURE that they don't want you for the job

and even if they don't, it doesn't make you an underachiever...
underachievers don't go above and beyond the call of duty to find the one job they like best even when they're met with rejection

you've worked hard at this!

#151886 - 04/20/07 03:18 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: dan17]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hauser These things take time. It could be weeks before they do something about filling the position. CHILL a little and don't worry about it. Tom

#151917 - 04/20/07 06:27 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: dan17]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Hauser,

From what you say it sounds to me like they are advancing you to the next stage of assessment and are taking references. Why do you think you have blown your chances? I know the way things have worked out in the past makes you doubtful this time as well, but I really think you need to take it easy on yourself.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#151939 - 04/20/07 08:11 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hauser, try calling your references and see if they have received a call from the hiring manager.

- Mel Brooks

#152070 - 04/21/07 03:34 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Nobbynobs]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hauser,

I remember interviewing for a job one time where it literally took 2 months from the time of the interview till I received the call from them asking me to come in and interview again for the next step in the selection process. I eventually got the job but it took 3 months total from first contact to signing the dotted line. Don't despair over a few days. There IS something out there for you.

Hugs,

John

#152072 - 04/21/07 03:38 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: WalkingSouth]
dan17 Offline

yeah Hauser

you rock man!

#152106 - 04/21/07 05:21 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: dan17]
bisulatino Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hey Hauser,

I'm in the IT industry as well, I have less than a year of "real" IT work experience and I am working on getting those 2 - 3 or 5 - 7 years of experience that companies are looking for you. I was laid off in feb. and went through a lot of depression during my job hunt but just started an even better job this week. I just want to share a few of the important things I have learned with you.

1) Create a network and use it. See every single person you meet as a potential network candidate. Meet someone who works in the IT dept of a company? Sell yourself to that person, be suttle but professional and then ask them for contact info so you can keep in touch with them and then keep in touch! If you are not looking for a job, touch up with your contacts every 6 months. When you are on the market again, touch up once a month. Also, if you know them well enough, ask them for a copy of their resume, that way you can see how they sold themselves and maybe use some of their methods to sell yourself as well.

For example, after I was laid off, I join a local flag football team. The coach turned out to be a corporate recruiter and as soon as I heard that I "sold" myself to him as if he was a potential employer. I did not end up getting a job through him, but I'm sure if something came across his desk he would remember me and definately would have contacted me.

2) Fix up your resume. When someone is trying to sell a house, they take all the "negatives" and fix them up to look positive and do it in the cheapest, easiest way they can. Part of the house rotting away? Just give it a new paint job. Do the same with your resume. Want to put "SQL" down on your resume? Read a book on it, it's not too difficult to understand the basics of the language. Never put how proficient you are in a skill, wait for an interviewer to ask that question. When they do ask that question, tell them what you have done, even if it's just "independently studied." If the interviewer says "we were expecting more" or seems disappointed, ignore it, they probably were expecting you to have little experience and just want to see how you react.

For example, I took projects I did in college and called them work experience, although I did tag them as "volunteer." With my old resume, I was getting no calls, but when I did that I started getting a LOT more calls. Was I lying? No, because in my mind, I was doing work and getting experience, so it was work experience it was just unpaid. As far as how to employer reacted this, well they were very critical when they realized it was actually more like a project than an actual job, but during the interview I continued to PRETEND it was a real job and talked about it very seriously.

Think about the things you have done that you could claim as experience. Ever fixed computers for friends or family members? If not, maybe you should start! Have you ever considered volunteering your free time to do IT work? I volunteered at the red cross to help them with computer problems, and THAT became work experience. You get enough of "that" work experience and potential employers will no longer be able to consider you entry level. Just don't outright LIE. Trying to sell my project experience as actual paid experience would be a lie and would most likely have been caught in the interview. Putting down a skill without having at least read a "IDIOT'S GUIDE" type book about it would have been a lie, because it would have come out in the interview. This is a very "gray area" concept, if you are not sure, ask someone who is good at reading or writing resumes.

Remember, the resume is just to get you the interview. Even if you do not have the skills they ideally wanted, you can show them 10 times better during the interview that you are a great, hardworking employee and there is a good chance they will think about hiring someone who can train themselves.

3) During the interview, fake it. Make a mistake? Apologize and keep going. You can be sure that the people you are interviewing with have made many mistakes, and they are the ones with the jobs! It's how you react to those mistakes that they want to see. Stay calm, be alert, and never give up. Don't know the answer to a question? Try for a minute to figure it out, even if you are sure you don't know the answer, and then let them know with a smile that "I'm sorry but I just don't know," you can even add on "but I will be sure to study that topic after this interview." Sounds fake, right? Well it is, it's all one big stupid game, but you don't have to play it forever, just until you get the job.

One of the jobs I interviewed with, the managers were showing me around and they showed me this picture and I said "who are these two men?" "Well this is so-and-so customer and this is the founder's WIFE." HOLY SHIT, I thought, I am not getting this job. My reaction was just to say "oh, and who are these people" and we kept looking at other pictures and talking. Surprisingly, I was told they thought I was a great candidate and was definately being considered, but I got a job offer from another company before I could find out.

4) Don't stop the job hunt, never give up. Someone you interviewed with not get back to you right away? Keep sending out that resume and calling companies. Call companies you have interviewed with once every one or two weeks (if they are a very slooooow company, every two weeks). I interviewed with a company back in August, and they STILL haven't filled the position nor sent me one of those "thanks but no thanks" letters. In fact, I went to a career fair by them just last month, met the recruiter (would NEVER returned my calls btw) and met some more company employees, making sure to let them know I had interviewed back in august and was still interested in the position (my way of saying "get off your ass and make a decision!") and I am pretty sure they are still interested in me, but they are just really dragging their feet.

There is SO many more stupid tricks that are part of the "game" that are left unsaid. While it is the employer's responsibility to judge you as a potential candidate, it is your responsibility to "trick" the employer into realizing that you are a great employee and therefore should be hired. It's not really a trick though, since when you start working there you really will be a great employee, it's just a way to get past the whole resume/interview b.s.

I guess I'll end this post with one last thing: it's all about being in the right place at the right time. If you try your best to do the above four things over and over as you continue in your job hunt, you will get better at hunting. Don't forget to continue to grow your skill set by studying new skills (SQL, HTML, etc, just check it out from the library), taking classes and working for free (your own personal projects or for others, like building your own computer!) One day you will meet the right employer and the employer will meet the right employee, you.

Keep asking questions, focus on your growth more than your mistakes and you will outpace the competition.

#152256 - 04/22/07 05:22 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: bisulatino]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you for this input, and kudos to bisolatino for his help.

A couple days ago, I offered to do volunteer work for a prestigious local non-profit organization that is much akin to Goodwill or Salvation Army, http://www.meltrotter.org/

After calling them, I found out that they can't keep the computers on the shelf, selling Pentium III's for like 40 or 50 bucks. They desperately need someone to work on their donated PC's, clean them up, (literally), wipe out the hard drives, and do a fresh install of win98se. (microsoft told them that they don't care about it).

So, I'll be helping to put affordable pc's in the hands of the neediest in my area. I hope this leads to something soon.

I just got another call from another employer, interview next week.

DON'T LET ME FORGET, 3PM WED

3PM NOT 3:30

3PM!!!!!! There I SHOULD remember it now. \:\)

#152261 - 04/22/07 05:36 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Awesome, Alan. 3:00 PM, straight up, K? \:\)

Good things will come your way eventually. You're a good guy and I honor your volunteerism with the charity. Help yourself while you help them. Good work!

John

#152353 - 04/23/07 09:16 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

T H R E E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:\)

Much reminding,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#152354 - 04/23/07 09:16 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

And that reminds me....

T H R E E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:\)

Much reminding,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#152375 - 04/23/07 10:44 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
Chain Breaker Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Michigan
Hi Alan,

Nice job on the charity gig! It's got to feel good to be helping those most in need to get connected with a computer, which has become so necessary in our society. You da man!

CB

"[Insert your name here], I am [Chain Breaker]. Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?"
--Wind In His Hair, Dances With Wolves

#152381 - 04/23/07 11:26 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Chain Breaker]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Looks like I'm in???

I wrote a follow-up email to her last Fri and she just responded with this:

"It was great to meet you too Alan! I look forward to working with you."

Jill

#152383 - 04/23/07 11:34 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
THANK GOD!!!!!

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#152385 - 04/23/07 11:45 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sounds positive for sure.

- Mel Brooks

#152387 - 04/23/07 11:50 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Nobbynobs]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Good!

1. That

#152461 - 04/23/07 08:22 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: FormerTexan]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Alan,

How cool! I'll remain cautiously optimistic for you, and wish you well! How very cool!

Lots of love,

John

#152804 - 04/25/07 08:36 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: FormerTexan]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Great News

#152809 - 04/25/07 08:51 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Muldoon]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
That sounds very, very good!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.