Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
8 registered (freeze-on, kcinohio, 6 invisible), 17 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63998 Topics
446700 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#151886 - 04/20/07 03:18 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: dan17]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Hauser These things take time. It could be weeks before they do something about filling the position. CHILL a little and don't worry about it. Tom

#151917 - 04/20/07 06:27 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: dan17]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Hauser,

From what you say it sounds to me like they are advancing you to the next stage of assessment and are taking references. Why do you think you have blown your chances? I know the way things have worked out in the past makes you doubtful this time as well, but I really think you need to take it easy on yourself.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#151939 - 04/20/07 08:11 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Hauser, try calling your references and see if they have received a call from the hiring manager.

- Mel Brooks

#152070 - 04/21/07 03:34 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Nobbynobs]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hauser,

I remember interviewing for a job one time where it literally took 2 months from the time of the interview till I received the call from them asking me to come in and interview again for the next step in the selection process. I eventually got the job but it took 3 months total from first contact to signing the dotted line. Don't despair over a few days. There IS something out there for you.

Hugs,

John

#152072 - 04/21/07 03:38 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: WalkingSouth]
dan17 Offline

yeah Hauser

you rock man!

#152106 - 04/21/07 05:21 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: dan17]
bisulatino Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hey Hauser,

I'm in the IT industry as well, I have less than a year of "real" IT work experience and I am working on getting those 2 - 3 or 5 - 7 years of experience that companies are looking for you. I was laid off in feb. and went through a lot of depression during my job hunt but just started an even better job this week. I just want to share a few of the important things I have learned with you.

1) Create a network and use it. See every single person you meet as a potential network candidate. Meet someone who works in the IT dept of a company? Sell yourself to that person, be suttle but professional and then ask them for contact info so you can keep in touch with them and then keep in touch! If you are not looking for a job, touch up with your contacts every 6 months. When you are on the market again, touch up once a month. Also, if you know them well enough, ask them for a copy of their resume, that way you can see how they sold themselves and maybe use some of their methods to sell yourself as well.

For example, after I was laid off, I join a local flag football team. The coach turned out to be a corporate recruiter and as soon as I heard that I "sold" myself to him as if he was a potential employer. I did not end up getting a job through him, but I'm sure if something came across his desk he would remember me and definately would have contacted me.

2) Fix up your resume. When someone is trying to sell a house, they take all the "negatives" and fix them up to look positive and do it in the cheapest, easiest way they can. Part of the house rotting away? Just give it a new paint job. Do the same with your resume. Want to put "SQL" down on your resume? Read a book on it, it's not too difficult to understand the basics of the language. Never put how proficient you are in a skill, wait for an interviewer to ask that question. When they do ask that question, tell them what you have done, even if it's just "independently studied." If the interviewer says "we were expecting more" or seems disappointed, ignore it, they probably were expecting you to have little experience and just want to see how you react.

For example, I took projects I did in college and called them work experience, although I did tag them as "volunteer." With my old resume, I was getting no calls, but when I did that I started getting a LOT more calls. Was I lying? No, because in my mind, I was doing work and getting experience, so it was work experience it was just unpaid. As far as how to employer reacted this, well they were very critical when they realized it was actually more like a project than an actual job, but during the interview I continued to PRETEND it was a real job and talked about it very seriously.

Think about the things you have done that you could claim as experience. Ever fixed computers for friends or family members? If not, maybe you should start! Have you ever considered volunteering your free time to do IT work? I volunteered at the red cross to help them with computer problems, and THAT became work experience. You get enough of "that" work experience and potential employers will no longer be able to consider you entry level. Just don't outright LIE. Trying to sell my project experience as actual paid experience would be a lie and would most likely have been caught in the interview. Putting down a skill without having at least read a "IDIOT'S GUIDE" type book about it would have been a lie, because it would have come out in the interview. This is a very "gray area" concept, if you are not sure, ask someone who is good at reading or writing resumes.

Remember, the resume is just to get you the interview. Even if you do not have the skills they ideally wanted, you can show them 10 times better during the interview that you are a great, hardworking employee and there is a good chance they will think about hiring someone who can train themselves.

3) During the interview, fake it. Make a mistake? Apologize and keep going. You can be sure that the people you are interviewing with have made many mistakes, and they are the ones with the jobs! It's how you react to those mistakes that they want to see. Stay calm, be alert, and never give up. Don't know the answer to a question? Try for a minute to figure it out, even if you are sure you don't know the answer, and then let them know with a smile that "I'm sorry but I just don't know," you can even add on "but I will be sure to study that topic after this interview." Sounds fake, right? Well it is, it's all one big stupid game, but you don't have to play it forever, just until you get the job.

One of the jobs I interviewed with, the managers were showing me around and they showed me this picture and I said "who are these two men?" "Well this is so-and-so customer and this is the founder's WIFE." HOLY SHIT, I thought, I am not getting this job. My reaction was just to say "oh, and who are these people" and we kept looking at other pictures and talking. Surprisingly, I was told they thought I was a great candidate and was definately being considered, but I got a job offer from another company before I could find out.

4) Don't stop the job hunt, never give up. Someone you interviewed with not get back to you right away? Keep sending out that resume and calling companies. Call companies you have interviewed with once every one or two weeks (if they are a very slooooow company, every two weeks). I interviewed with a company back in August, and they STILL haven't filled the position nor sent me one of those "thanks but no thanks" letters. In fact, I went to a career fair by them just last month, met the recruiter (would NEVER returned my calls btw) and met some more company employees, making sure to let them know I had interviewed back in august and was still interested in the position (my way of saying "get off your ass and make a decision!") and I am pretty sure they are still interested in me, but they are just really dragging their feet.

There is SO many more stupid tricks that are part of the "game" that are left unsaid. While it is the employer's responsibility to judge you as a potential candidate, it is your responsibility to "trick" the employer into realizing that you are a great employee and therefore should be hired. It's not really a trick though, since when you start working there you really will be a great employee, it's just a way to get past the whole resume/interview b.s.

I guess I'll end this post with one last thing: it's all about being in the right place at the right time. If you try your best to do the above four things over and over as you continue in your job hunt, you will get better at hunting. Don't forget to continue to grow your skill set by studying new skills (SQL, HTML, etc, just check it out from the library), taking classes and working for free (your own personal projects or for others, like building your own computer!) One day you will meet the right employer and the employer will meet the right employee, you.

Keep asking questions, focus on your growth more than your mistakes and you will outpace the competition.

#152256 - 04/22/07 05:22 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: bisulatino]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Thank you for this input, and kudos to bisolatino for his help.

A couple days ago, I offered to do volunteer work for a prestigious local non-profit organization that is much akin to Goodwill or Salvation Army, http://www.meltrotter.org/

After calling them, I found out that they can't keep the computers on the shelf, selling Pentium III's for like 40 or 50 bucks. They desperately need someone to work on their donated PC's, clean them up, (literally), wipe out the hard drives, and do a fresh install of win98se. (microsoft told them that they don't care about it).

So, I'll be helping to put affordable pc's in the hands of the neediest in my area. I hope this leads to something soon.

I just got another call from another employer, interview next week.

DON'T LET ME FORGET, 3PM WED

3PM NOT 3:30

3PM!!!!!! There I SHOULD remember it now. \:\)

#152261 - 04/22/07 05:36 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Awesome, Alan. 3:00 PM, straight up, K? \:\)

Good things will come your way eventually. You're a good guy and I honor your volunteerism with the charity. Help yourself while you help them. Good work!

John

#152353 - 04/23/07 09:16 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

T H R E E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:\)

Much reminding,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#152354 - 04/23/07 09:16 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

And that reminds me....

T H R E E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:\)

Much reminding,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.