Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63803 Topics
445533 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#151171 - 04/16/07 06:09 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: deck]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
AWSOME!!!! GOOD NEWS!

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#151210 - 04/16/07 09:14 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Still]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
*fingers and toes crossed*

- Mel Brooks

#151474 - 04/18/07 01:35 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Nobbynobs]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I was 1/2 hour late. I thought she said 11:30, she apparently said 11. Why did I write 11:30 down? I don't know. I wasn't NERVOUS or anything talking to her on the phone.

She still wanted to see me. The interview went smoothly, I did almost all the talking, I highlighted very well why I wanted to work for THEM and not some of their competition. The main purpose of the interview was to see what kind of PERSON I was, not to test my knowledge that the job duties entail.

So, yes I was late but the interview was totally positive to me. She gave me her card, and told me that she would be calling my references and that she would be consulting her colleagues about what local positions I might be best suited to fill.

So........she didn't outright reject me just cuz I was "late" I think. I was exactly 3 minutes early for the presumed time that I was supposed to be there.

I felt like I was "tuning out" when I was talking to her on the phone, like, after I hung up, I couldn't even remember what the hell we agreed upon. What the HELL is wrong with me?

WHY THE HELL COULD I NOT EVEN WRITE DOWN THE CORRECT TIME?

Whatever.

From what I've said here, it IS a job offer in the works right? I mean, why would she give me her card and say that she would be actively consulting her colleagues if she didn't have a favorable impression of me.

Couldn't even write down the correct time, AMAZING. I DON'T understand me and how I can screw up the most SIMPLE of tasks.

#151477 - 04/18/07 01:43 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh and that other place? Well they gave me the details of the job de>

#151481 - 04/18/07 01:51 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Alan,

First, go easy on yourself about your late arrival. It's not a fatal error and from what you say the interview went well. I wouldn't have thought they would hire you without taking references, so the fact they are doing that shows you have made it to the next hurdle.

On that intimidating job advert, I bet that describes their ideal candidate and not their minimum requirements. I have seen lots of crazy ads like that in my own field. So it's a tightrope really: it's good to apply for positions where you think you have something to offer, even if you might be quite challenged at first, but at the same time it's wise to stay away from jobs where you know you would be overwhelmed.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#151482 - 04/18/07 01:57 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

fantagrl, for your information.

I've gone to Best Buy after applying online, then walked into the store and asked to see the GM or sales manager about a possible Geek Squad position,........"Thank you but we don't need anyone."

The same thing happened with Circuit City, and CompUSA. "We don't need anyone, we've had the same techs for YEARS."

What I don't understand is why there are cooking/restaurant jobs listed ALL THE TIME but not a single entry-level IT position. And since THIS is so, why is it that they don't PAY? It makes no sense to me that IT jobs are always so readily filled, I mean, if there are SO MANY "IT guys" around, why aren't the wages driven down to the meager level that foodservice-level jobs pay? It makes NO sense in the world of economics.

#151486 - 04/18/07 02:08 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Alan,

My wife owned her own restaurant for awhile, a cafe in Oxford, so I can comment on this. The turnover was VERY high and sometimes she had a cook who didn't even stay a week. So far as I could see, it just didn't seem to be a very stable situation, probably because the pay wasn't so great. A restaurant's margin of profit is pretty low, unless you have a famous place.

IT, however, pays well and I guess the guys who get those jobs stay there. There isn't a "pot" that's being stirred so that newcomers have a chance to get in.

Just a thought from an IT idiot. \:D

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#151487 - 04/18/07 02:15 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: Hauser]
fantagrl Offline

Post deleted by fantagrl

Edited by ModTeam (04/18/07 05:47 PM)

#151492 - 04/18/07 02:29 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: fantagrl]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
From what I've said here, it IS a job offer in the works right? I mean, why would she give me her card and say that she would be actively consulting her colleagues if she didn't have a favorable impression of me.

Definitely sounds like you passed a screen there. Don't forget to send a quick thank you note.

- Mel Brooks

#151497 - 04/18/07 02:37 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: fantagrl]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've given up looking for government work, they want you to pass a civil-service exam, which are HARD, (I failed the only one I took)
Oh, and they want *experience* too. I HATE THAT WORD NOW!!! IF THERE IS ANY WORD IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THAT I HATE IT'S *EXPERIENCE*!!!! HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.

I'm so tired of looking for a decent paying job. Is it REALLY so much to desire to afford to pay for retirement, a home, health insurance, etc? Ridiculous.

30 years ago you could:

1. Drop out of high school
2. Get hired into a UNION job turning nuts on an assembly line
3. Afford a home, a car, a family, insurance, etc.
4. BE FINANCIALLY SECURE WITHOUT GOING TO SOME STUPID COLLEGE FOR 4 OR 6 YEARS. This is bullshit!

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.