Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (NeverGiveUp23, finallyhere, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443145 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#148174 - 04/01/07 01:47 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: mack]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I took a Job-training course at a local community college. http://grcc.edu/?PageID=2642

I've also, on my own initiative, taken and passed two notable certifications; the A+ and Network+ certs.

http://certification.comptia.org/a/default.aspx
http://certification.comptia.org/network/default.aspx

Employers don't care. They want the creme de la creme! They want: 5-7 YEARS of experience, they want experience in Active Directory, which costs BIG bucks to own, they want project managment experience,.........I'm stopping right now this is getting depressing.

I've heard over and over and over that nursing is in high demand, but in order to do that you have to pass microbiology, and in order to pass that you have to know chemistry, and in order to pass that you have to know advanced algebra. So what am I supposed to do? Try college for a FOURTH time? And drop out AGAIN?

I once landed a position as a CNC Technician for a local contractor, and he let me go because I didn't have "Mechanical Apptitude"

Still not deterred in my quest to better myself, I landed a position as a manager-in-training for a local restaurant chain. Wow cool right? Job security and benefits? WRONG. They let me go too, because I didn't have "leadership skills".

So, I've finally FOUND what I'm good at and guess what? So are THOUSANDS of other people. Great.

How did you guys do it? How did you just "go to college?" How did you actually pass classes like Algebra? HOW?

#148175 - 04/01/07 01:47 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Morning Star Offline

Loc: Home
Reassembly of our Self esteem takes place the same way we assemble a computer, one bit at a time.

When we follow our intuition for our every single choice, and then follow it through with joy and with respect for our inner guidance we not just gain our respect, but also we learn to honour our choices with actions.

Why Don't People Heal, by Caroline Myss; 30 days to clean up your vibrations - Abraham-Hicks

#148177 - 04/01/07 01:53 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Morning Star]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Every place I go to that does IT work for corporations and institutions tells me "We don't need anyone, thank you."

Every place that DOES advertise an open position that I'm qualified for never calls me.

Every time I follow up with a phone call or stop back in to show that I have more than just a passing interest in their company, I get a statement of "No one is available to see you right now, but if you would like to leave your resume with our office............."

Jesus, that last job I got, cooking, I didn't even have to APPLY, all I did was walk in and introduce myself to the GM of the store and he hired me just from TALKING to me. Why is this so fucking hard?

#148178 - 04/01/07 01:58 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

The professional world, with all it's resumes and suits and ties and good-old-boys networks that only hire people that they personally know is BULLSHIT. Fuck you all. Go ahead and hire all those people that go sailing together or meet at the ymca or know eachother from church, GO AHEAD. jerks.

#148179 - 04/01/07 02:06 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Hauser,

I hear your frustration. And I'm sympathize. It's so frustrating to work so hard to learn and train and to find that other people still find you wanting.

I'd like to point out again something that I hear coming through in your posts. There is a skillset that you are missing, and it's not one that you can pick up in a training program. The reason employers look for someon with years of experience is not primarily becasue they want someone who knows all the nuts and bolts -- every company and uses its own system in its own way. No matter how experienced someone is in the field, there will always be a period of training and learning when someone is hired.

What the company is looking for is someone with the personal skills to display 2 traits - competence and consistent performance under stressful situations AND the social skills to integrate smoothly into an already existing social situation (granted, the loner IT guy mytique makes this latter point seem less important, but it's not).

Hauser, my friend, it seems to me that what you're not communicating or showing to all these poelp who are potential employers in teh the fields you have training in is the very traits that got you the job as a cook. What did you show to the guy who hired you on the spot that you're not showing to all the other people? How did that situation differ from the other ones?

What I'm trying to do is to get you to change your poitn of view. Something isn't working about the way in which you are approaching all these other jobs. And that something isn't something lacking in you, nor necessarily a flaw in the system itself. You need to find the door in that wall. Trying to get over it from the outside isn't working. BUt somewhere there is a door, but you haven't seen it yet. Keep looking, I know you can find it.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#148181 - 04/01/07 02:30 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: tartugas]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

I got ONE interview with a potential (and great paying) employer, in the last 6 months.

In the course of the interview, he started asking me if I had experience in SQL, Active Directory, Cisco Routers, etc. I replied that he could clearly see in my resume, that although I didn't have the experience that he obviously desired, that I had the aptitude to learn it. He then told me that HE DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME to train someone. That's when I knew I hit another dead end in my goal to better myself. That's when I got short-tempered with him and told him that I'm obviously wasting his time then, so why did he even call me for an interview? I told him if he's looking for someone with that experience, then why did he even call me? I was irritated that I took the time to meet someone that only set me up for disappointment. SQL, LOL. HELLO????????? Don't you think I would have put that on my damned resume if I had EXPERIENCE IN THAT?

So what the fuck am I supposed to do? Buy an 800 dollar program (active directory) and get good at it? Should I also buy multi-hundred dollar cisco routers and get good at configuring them? My GOD why were all these other people in the IT world given "a chance" and I'm not good enough?

#148183 - 04/01/07 02:44 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I would be pissed off too, and I gave up a long time ago.
Keep trying, one day you will get something.

Any more probs go here, Bare bones troubleshooting

ste

#148245 - 04/01/07 08:52 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: reality2k4]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
In the course of the interview, he started asking me if I had experience in SQL, Active Directory, Cisco Routers, etc. I replied that he could clearly see in my resume, that although I didn't have the experience that he obviously desired, that I had the aptitude to learn it. He then told me that HE DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME to train someone. That's when I knew I hit another dead end in my goal to better myself. That's when I got short-tempered with him and told him that I'm obviously wasting his time then, so why did he even call me for an interview? I told him if he's looking for someone with that experience, then why did he even call me? I was irritated that I took the time to meet someone that only set me up for disappointment. SQL, LOL. HELLO????????? Don't you think I would have put that on my damned resume if I had EXPERIENCE IN THAT?

Hauser, seriously, see a career coach. You're just spinning your wheels with this.

You hit the nail on the head on two points. 1) people hire people that they know, or that are referred to them. It just works that way. 2) Employers want the best. This is normal.

Getting angry at the way that employers hire is doing nothing but hurting you, and if that quote up there is typical of how you are handling rejection from an employer, then I'm not really surprised that you aren't having much luck finding something.

All you had to say when that guy screened you (which was all he was doing, to save himself time and you the stress of going through an interview when you weren't getting the job) was ask him if he could think of any other positions within the organisation that you might be qualified to fill. By handling that situation negatively, you basically destroyed any chance you had at getting a job at that organisation.

I think that Tartugas and Larry have it right. You've got to lose that anger, because it's keeping you from the future that you want for yourself. Speak to a counsellor, and get her to take you through the basics of interviewing and communicating with employers. You might also want to consider joining a job finding club. They do things like practice interviews and resume coaching, and I think you would really enjoy that kind of thing.

And finally, speak to some IT recruiters in your area. Ask them for an information interview. Remember that recruiters WANT to represent you, because if someone hires you, they make money. Find out from a recruiter what you need to be doing to get hired in the field you want to work in.

- Mel Brooks

#148253 - 04/01/07 09:28 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Hauser,

If you don't mind I'd like to come back to the issue of confidence and anger. Have a look at what you told us earlier:

Originally Posted By: Hauser
In the course of the interview, he started asking me if I had experience in SQL, Active Directory, Cisco Routers, etc. I replied that he could clearly see in my resume, that although I didn't have the experience that he obviously desired, that I had the aptitude to learn it. He then told me that HE DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME to train someone. That's when I knew I hit another dead end in my goal to better myself. That's when I got short-tempered with him and told him that I'm obviously wasting his time then, so why did he even call me for an interview? I told him if he's looking for someone with that experience, then why did he even call me?

Bro, he called you, despite the fact that you didn't seem to have this or that specific qualification, because he liked other things he saw and he thought let's have a look. He was basically telling you, come on in and let's talk and see if something can be made to work here.

When I was younger and interviewing for positions, as soon as I landed the interview I made SURE I did my homework about the employer - in my case a university. I looked through their course offerings in my field and related areas, I checked out their research profile to see how I would fit in, and then I sat down and thought of arguments I could make and points I could score in my favor. I also thought carefully about my shortcomings for this particular job and tried to think of ways I could reply to or minimize possible objections or reservations they might have.

All this takes time, but more importantly it takes emotional resources. If I had been seething with frustration and resentment I simply would not have had anything left over for the preparations I needed to make. And during the interview I would not have been able to roll with the punches and present myself in the best possible light. I would not have been able to shine, in the midst of lots of other qualified people, as THE ONE.

I think you would be helped a lot by working on the issues of confidence and anger with someone. Nobby has made some great suggestions and I can't think of anything further to add. But really, technical qualifications aren't the only factor these days and I can assure you that of the many search committees I have been on, none of them hired an "inside" candidate (from the church, golf club, etc., as you suspect). Employers are looking at all aspects of a candidate, so areas apart from the strictly professional qualifications really are important too.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#148267 - 04/01/07 11:07 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
deck Offline

Loc: Indiana
Hey Hauser,

It's been a long time since I've posted out here but saw your post. It can be frustrating looking for a position in IT right now. Even with more than 10 years experience in IT when I got laid off a couple years ago it took me almost a year to find another position. I say this just to let you know that it is tough but it sounds like you do have the ability. Hang tough. It's a process, as is so much that we deal with. YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THINGS. Do what you can to continue your education. Read what you can about Active Directory, SQL, etc. When you get an interview-go over the want-ad that you replied to. Review the applications, operating systems, etc. that they mention. If you're asked about one of them then be honest on your level of experience BUT also give them idea of what you found in your review. Honestly, they rarely expect you to know everything they list in the ad. This shows initiative on your part which is something that is always desired.

Another thing, you're right a lot of companies are looking for Microsoft and Active Directory experience. This is not a secret. Look around, everyone has MS on their system. But a forward thinking individual might look towards LINUX. You can get a desktop version of Red Hat Desktop or Novell SUSE for less than VISTA/XP. Rat Hat's Fedora Project is open source. System requirements for LINUX tends to less than Microsoft and LINUX is less resource intensive than Microsoft. Certification for LINUX requires fewer tests, if you decide to go that route. Currently LINUX is a more secure platform and is easier to customize to a particular environment. Remember, it doesn't just cost you less money; it costs corporation less money. Microsoft is still the big kid on the block but LINUX is becoming more and more popular. Knowledge in both OSs increases your opportunities.

Just remember, you are doing the right things. Keep doing them. You will find what you're looking for.

Take care,
deck

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.