Newest Members
MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two, VASurvivor
12331 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
4 registered (woodenshoes, focusedbody, Obi, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12331 Members
74 Forums
63408 Topics
443324 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#147915 - 03/31/07 01:32 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I have a well framed resume, it's very well put together I think, all except the work history, which is stable, but only shows me as a fucking cook for 20 years, oh and a brief temp position and an internship. Ask Zenboy or Robbie Browne if my resume is put together well. I did a good job with that resume, I think.

Larry, I'm not just "getting down on myself", I'm watching my life pass me by and I don't know how to take control of it, I NEVER DID.

#147967 - 03/31/07 10:52 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Hauser, if you are interested, I wrote a guide on how to write and market your resume. I can post a copy if you like.

- Mel Brooks

#147986 - 03/31/07 12:15 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Nobbynobs]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Please do Nobby, it couldn't hurt.

It ALSO couldn't hurt if I wasn't living the the nation's 2ond WORST economy, surpassed ONLY by Mississippi. My God even West Virginia has a better economy than Michigan right now.

I have no faith in just "moving" to "where the jobs are" cuz I, for some odd reason, don't have faith in my ability to market myself anywhere, except in restaurants.

#148091 - 03/31/07 11:46 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here you go. I wrote it in a professional context, so it's a bit impersonal. But I think that it's a pretty good picture of the reality of the job market. (It's definitely still like this in IT.)

---------------------------------

Here is how I screen and hire for mid-level management in an marketing/IT/telecoms environment. It might help you.

Before I start, here is the reality of being hired.

I have a limited amount of time to review resumes, so I screen very aggressively. I don't usually have trouble finding a few suitable candidates for a position, so I can pretty much afford to screen 75-80% of the resumes I receive without even reading the first line. I am sure that I have screened good people, but to be perfectly honest, it is not my job to dig through a bad resume to find out if someone is good. I have not had a single case where I have been unable to staff a position. If you have a bad resume, you won't even make it to the stage where a hiring manager is reading it.

That said, here is my process:

1st thing, Check your formatting. This is vital. I routinely get 100+ resumes when I am recruiting, and I have found that a great way to reduce my workload is to screen out the badly formatted resumes right away. This includes small fonts,>

Edited by Nobbynobs (03/31/07 11:58 PM)

- Mel Brooks

#148098 - 04/01/07 12:54 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Nobbynobs]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you for your insight on this matter Nobs. Ummmm..........all this does is make me feel more hopeless. I'm not blaming you I just mean to say that..............how can I POSSIBLY stand up to someone with years of experience in this field? Interests? I've NEVER HAD ANY, THAT'S WHY I'M such an underachiever, cuz I never developed any marketable skills when in High School or in early adulthood.

My God, my resume shows that I held a job for over 6 years in one restaurant alone, that SHOULD prove that I get along good with people.

I don't ever see me breaking into this Nobs, I know that this was not your intention of course, I just .......... I just lose hope when I see that what I have to do just to get noticed, let alone hired is just a dream. I can't compete on this level. Something REALLY bothers me when I see 22yo kids being hired and I'm not even being interviewed.

#148128 - 04/01/07 08:54 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hauser, it really does help to get a professional to help you, like a career consultant. They can walk you through your skills and background and help you prepare for talking to employers.

- Mel Brooks

#148137 - 04/01/07 11:26 AM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Steve,

The process that Nobby outlines is something I can confirm as well for my own field. When I'm reviewing applications I figure my job is to find a top candidate for whatever position I have, not rescue someone hidden behind a second-rate CV. I simply don't have time. How someone's resume presents them is absolutely vital. If you have a really good resume, okay, that's a place to start from.

I noted your comment:

Originally Posted By: Hauser
Larry, I'm not just "getting down on myself", I'm watching my life pass me by and I don't know how to take control of it, I NEVER DID.

I understand you there, Steve, but I would just say that confidence does play a big role in how we present ourselves and how we perform in the workplace. This seems to be an issue for you.

I'm not saying that in a blaming way, just pegging a point that might help you. I do remember most of what you have told us here, and man, in your situation I think I would have difficulty with confidence too. Are you seeing a T? That really is one route that could help you a lot. I'm trying to think here of pretty basic strategies, Steve, rather than ways to deal with this or that specific point.

One thing more in conclusion: Keep talking about these things and how you feel. I remember how much that helped me, especially when I felt like I was really down for the count.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#148152 - 04/01/07 12:19 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Hauser,

I'd like to take a slightly different tack here. Nobs has made some great suggestions with regards to how to approach the issue from a professional standpoint. I'd like to take a second to mention what I senseing on a more personal level.

My friend, you are angry. And you have every right to be. Life has dealt to you from the bottom of it's deck so far. That said, even though I am confident that you represent yourself professionally and respectfully when you speak to these people, I can't help but wonder about the more subtle ways your anger might be leaking out.

You don't have years of IT experience, that's true, but you have a skillset and familiarity with computers that should put you on par with your peers. So what do they have that you don't? That's a question I can't answer, but I bet that you can. And I'll also bet that if you search past the angry repsonses that will be at the top of the list, you might find some harder truths that come to light. Have you taken a training course at a local technical institute, such as De Vry? It might help open doors that are otherwise shut to you right now. Do you need the technical knowledge that the offer there, perhaps not, but you can certainly make great use of the networking and career placement resources.

Please understand that I'm not in anyway trying ot make you feel bad. I totally repsect and agree with the fact that you're playing in game where the dealer sometimes seems to have it in for you. But the fact of the matter is that you can always try to find more success by heading in another direction.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#148168 - 04/01/07 01:30 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: roadrunner]
mack Offline

Loc: new mexico
Hauser, I wish I had your talent. Its enough that I can get into chat and check my email. All that tech stuff baffles my mind. Do you have any call centers in your area. I know we had an AOL call center here that paid well. They are always looking for computer savvy people like you.

#148169 - 04/01/07 01:31 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: mack]
mack Offline

Loc: new mexico
By the way, I think cooking is a talent too.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.