Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443341 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#147837 - 03/30/07 03:59 PM Trying to boost confidence in myself.
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I don't even need this PC, but I built it because I just got passed up AGAIN for a PC tech position at a local prestigious medical organization.

I bought all these individual components online and put them all together in JUST OVER FOUR HOURS, which is NOT BAD for a dishwasher if you ask me!

I had to buy the power supply:

then the motherboard:

then the CPU:

I also bought an extra cooling fan cuz I knew that my system would be SMOKIN:

And of course I needed a CPU fan:

And I needed a video card for all the latest and greatest games:

And a DVD drive, (not a burner cuz I don't burn DVD's)

And some nice fast 400Mhz RAM:

I put in this hard drive that I already had:

Then I install all this in this ATX Mid-Tower case. Note the built in handle, which is very convenient for people like me that like to link up with other people's LANs for gaming. I had only ONE issue when I first turned it on, the video card wasn't seated properly so I got system board beep errors. All I did was re-seat every thing and I noticed what the problem was right away.

I put all this together in JUST OVER 4 hours. NOT BAD if you ask me. But of course, I'm still not "qualified" to work for MMPC or Troy Schools or wherever else might offer me a decent standard of living cuz I don't have *Experience*.

Well FUCK THEM, they can hire all the "normal" people they want and I'll just keep washing dishes and short-order cooking cuz apparently that's all I'm good for.

#147841 - 03/30/07 04:18 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I agree - FUCK THEM. As for this:

"cuz apparently that's all I'm good for"

I would like to add a resounding BULLSHIT.

Now not being a gamer, I personally would go for a standard mom-and-pop case, although those neon fan lights do catch my eye now and then. I have two machines in the old beige cases. Boring, yes, but they work for me.

Edited by FormerTexan (03/30/07 04:28 PM)

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#147842 - 03/30/07 04:33 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Hauser, that's pretty damn incredible. \:o I'm doing good to figure out how to turn the thing on. I bought a new laptop a few weeks ago, and Vista is a bitch. You are one skilled individual. Keep plugging away at it, someday you will be recognized for the valuable employee you will be.

#147843 - 03/30/07 04:34 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: FormerTexan]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Hauser Maybe you should talk with a computer repair and networking business. It may not pay you the money the other jobs would but you could get some experence and move on from there.

Did you shoot the photos. I think that they look excellent. I am very impressed with all your work. Keep moving forward.
Tom

#147846 - 03/30/07 04:51 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Muldoon]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

They were stock photos of the items that I bought from tigerdirect.com

I have dropped off my resumes to every major IT contractor in my area, they don't give a shit about me or what I can do.

#147847 - 03/30/07 04:53 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Not even Best Buy is hiring. I've been told that I should move. But...............jesus.............move and get ANOTHER cooking job, and go job hunting AGAIN and get turned down AGAIN.

Maybe I should just be happy being poor and marginally employed.

I've BEEN TRYING to better myself, but I need help! I need a chance! Would somebody PLEASE interview me?

#147851 - 03/30/07 05:10 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

What I REALLY don't understand is that I thought these skills that I've learned at this job-training program that I took would help me be marketable, they have NOT.

I see more ads in the paper for COOKS than I do for computer techs, what's THAT all about? Apparently, cooks are in more demand than PC techs, so then why don't it pay more?

GOD this is frustrating.................

#147860 - 03/30/07 07:46 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Hauser]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Hauser Sorry it is so frustrating. Dealing with the SA and job networking at the same time can be so draining.

Sounds like you have been doing all the right things but still the opertunities haven't come your way.

I have been trying to learn about Digital Signage because that is a new field and no one has experence in it. It deals with the computer world but much more.
There are some email newsletter that you can get that would help you to learn this new field.

Digital Signage Weekly and Digital Content Producer are 2 sources of info on this new field . A lot of what I read is over my head but I am sure that you would understand it. Digital Signage will be everywhere in the near furture.
Tom

#147865 - 03/30/07 09:01 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Muldoon]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
We have digital signs _everywhere_ here now. They are all owned by either ClearChannel, Viacom, or CBS.

Hauser, have you had someone write you a professional resume? A good resume can open doors.

- Mel Brooks

#147868 - 03/30/07 09:28 PM Re: Trying to boost confidence in myself. [Re: Nobbynobs]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Hauser,

Nobby makes an excellent point. I always tell my students to work up a clear and concise resume that gives a good idea of their talents and qualifications in less than ten seconds. It's often only after that quick first look that a prospective employer takes a close look at a candidate.

I'm awed by you guys who have this kind of talent. You are getting this message from someone who just today figured out what a pixel is...by asking his son!

Good luck in your search for better employment and try not to let the disappointments affect you too badly. It's so easy to get down on ourselves over these setbacks.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.