Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
5 registered (highflight, Greg56, Nathan LaChine, 2 invisible), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63648 Topics
444519 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#149591 - 04/08/07 12:46 PM Re: Many paths [Re: WalkingSouth]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
I guess I'll present a flip side to the forced attendance scenario. We went to church up until I was about 5 or 6, then we just stopped going. So basically, I grew up without any spiritual guidance whatsoever. We never, ever discussed anything spiritual in our house, nothing about God, nothing about religion, period. Looking back now, it was where a lot of the emotional vacuum came from.

Out of all the things I have a gripe about with my parents, the emotional abuse, the physical abuse and neglect, all of that - the thing that I think bothers me a lot is the fact that they didn't see fit to impart to me any sense of self and spirituality. It's like they thought that I either didn't deserve it, didn't need it, or just wasn't worth it. I don't know. But I see that as a real failure on their part.

I think it is a beautiful thing when a parent shares their spirituality with their child in a loving way that shows a part of their heritage. I missed that in my childhood and it really pains me that I didn't have it. I've been avoiding this thread because of that, but finally decided to chime in. So I don't know which is worse, to have it rammed down your throat or to have it so totally absent. I guess both really suck.

#149651 - 04/08/07 05:24 PM Re: Many paths [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
John,

Originally Posted By: walkingsouth
When I reached the teen years when church traditionally becomes a terrible bore, our congregation hired a youth pastor who was much more "hip", and we'd often times have our own services. Made it much more palatable to this bad boy, cuz (cos, 'cuz, wink wink) I surely would have been out doing something else even if it was just sitting in the car staring at the dashboard. Perhaps that's the reason I'm still a church goer today.

That's so cool you had that. We had a youth pastor for awhile, or rather an assistant minister who was more in tune with what kids wanted and what would hold their attention. We sat around and talked about issues like sex, racism, capital punishment, Vietnam, and so on. It was really good.

Then a new "youth leader" took over and wanted to browbeat us about the danger of going to hell if we even glanced in the direction of any religious beliefs apart from those of mainstream American Protestantism. The Catholics, Mormons, Jews - all were doomed because they were members of "cults".

So back to the State Restaurant! Yay!!!!! A group of us took along our copies of the book we were supposed to be reading and gagged on our fries as we read out the most hilarious examples of the insanity that filled the book.

Sigh. I have forgotten the title unfortunately. I'll have to check with Cathie and see if she remembers.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#149652 - 04/08/07 05:26 PM Re: Many paths [Re: EGL]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
So I don't know which is worse, to have it rammed down your throat or to have it so totally absent. I guess both really suck.

Eddie,

I actually think you've hit it spot on with that comment. Thanks.

John

#149653 - 04/08/07 05:34 PM Re: Many paths [Re: EGL]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Eddie,

Originally Posted By: EGL
I think it is a beautiful thing when a parent shares their spirituality with their child in a loving way that shows a part of their heritage. I missed that in my childhood and it really pains me that I didn't have it. I've been avoiding this thread because of that, but finally decided to chime in. So I don't know which is worse, to have it rammed down your throat or to have it so totally absent. I guess both really suck.

I wonder if there's no conflict at all between what you are saying and what others are writing about. My parents imparted to my sisters and me a real sense of spirituality and I appreciated and respected that. What we resisted - fiercely - was dogmatism and intolerance, which we detected in ample measure in the church. Is that "spirituality"? I don't think so.

I should say that things improved a lot in our church in the 70s, largely due to the influence of the younger adults (like my parents) who got older, started taking on more responsibility in the church, and demanded that things change.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#149667 - 04/08/07 06:43 PM Re: Many paths [Re: EGL]
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: on the coast
Eddie,

Thanks for writing what you did. It makes me think. I suppose the ideal situation probably lies somewhere between how we were both raised. I just don't know where. I like what someone else wrote. He shares his beliefs with his children but "as his beliefs" and I tend to think parents should support thier children when they want to explore different spiritual paths. But that's me coming from the place that my upbringing created for me .

Dale

#149766 - 04/09/07 12:49 AM Re: Many paths [Re: EGL]
jwb1410 Offline
New Here

Loc: IL
Eddie,

Thanks for sharing your story. I am glad you decided to "chime in." No matter what your parents thought, you did deserve to have your childhood personal and spiritual needs met, and you were worth it (and you still are). It was their failure.

You are right; both abusive and neglectful treatment really suck!

I have a lot of thoughts about the middle road. The gist of them is that children need to be seen and heard and nurtured and accepted and praised and guided and protected and validated. That is what I believe it means to love. When parents fail to consistently do so, children suffer and their sense of self is warped. The road of recovery from such wounds is truly a "Heroes Journey" and a spiritual path.

#149939 - 04/09/07 09:43 PM Re: Many paths [Re: jwb1410]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
children need to be seen and heard and nurtured and accepted and praised and guided and protected and validated. That is what I believe it means to love. When parents fail to consistently do so, children suffer and their sense of self is warped. The road of recovery from such wounds is truly a "Heroes Journey" and a spiritual path.

Exceptionally well put, jwb. I wonder what's so difficult about that concept...

Thanks,

John

#149941 - 04/09/07 09:50 PM Re: Many paths [Re: WalkingSouth]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Thank you, JWB. That was so very well said.

P.S. Welcome to MS. Glad you're here and hope you find healing here as well.

#150837 - 04/14/07 08:19 PM Re: Many paths [Re: EGL]
froggy12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Marlboro, MA 01752
It's not always a good idea to know what happens in God's Kitchen. It's better to stay in the dining room, near the door, in case of a grease fire.

froggy

#150839 - 04/14/07 08:40 PM Re: Many paths [Re: froggy12]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

my family neve took us to church but they did talk about god ,yeah god knows if your bad ,god sees everything you do ,god will punisih you if your bad ,all i felt about god was fear ,then when all the bad stuff happened i totaly expected god to stop it and punish my perp ,after all he saw everything right? i think never mentioning god to a kid is better than making him believe that god would save him if he was good ,all that does is make the kid think hes not good enough for god to care about.saying nothing is better than lying

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.