Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
1 registered (don64), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443285 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#148673 - 04/03/07 07:16 PM Re: Many paths [Re: Muldoon]
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: on the coast
d

#148755 - 04/04/07 04:17 AM Re: Many paths [Re: Elad 12]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
While that was the same old shit that I got from my parents and I rejected it all. Tom

#149139 - 04/05/07 06:44 PM Re: Many paths [Re: Muldoon]
jwb1410 Offline
New Here

Loc: IL
Dale and Tom,

Dale put forth that the forcing of a child to believe a certain way is possibly abusive. I would put forth that how we parent in America is often, even with the best of intentions, a wounding process. And, we are learning healthier ways.

My experience in my church has been that many of the kids are forced to attend - the greater the resistance, the greater the force.

I did not have a choice as a child as to whether or not I would attend church, but I found my ways to survive it. One way was to dissociate. My brother showed me what the path of resistance looked like, and it did not look good. You lost love and affection. Not wanting that, and seeing no way out, I escaped to my fantasy world, and pretty much zoned out.

Not wanting my children to experience what I did, I have defend their right not to go to church, and I support them in what it is that they do want to do. That does not mean that I do not share my beliefs with them, but when I do, I present them as being mine. I share with them what I have learned of life and leave it up to them to decide what to do with it.

God does not need me to convince my children of his/her existence. Just like I do not need to defend gravity. If it exists, then they will experience it. Like with gravity though, my children needs God named for them. I can do that for them.

I can be their guide and companion, but I do not want to be a "Dictator for God."

#149308 - 04/06/07 08:43 PM Re: Many paths [Re: jwb1410]
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

d

Edited by Elad 12 (06/06/10 08:21 PM)

#149314 - 04/06/07 08:57 PM Re: Many paths [Re: Elad 12]
GWsurvives Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Atlanta, and here, among othe...
Dale.. I'm not sure what I believe. I was raised in the Baptist church, three times a week mandatory. Dad's still a deacon. My older brother was abused my the youth minister at that church. I have lost all faith in ANY organized religion, too many bad things happen in the name of "God". That being said, I do know there is something, some THING, that is more than I am. Is it the souls of all that came before us? Is it the "gods" of the American Indian, the ancient Greeks, the natives of Brazil? I'm not sure. I know for me, it is not the all powerful "God" of the bible, the one that looks over sparrows so he must surely look over me. I am beginning to think that "God" is so much bigger than any religion. Much too busy to to be involved in a person's life. He's off creating other universes. For if he is not, how could he let the evilness and awefullness that happens in this world happen? I choose to believe he is unaware.

My 2 cents, and probablly not worth 2 cents to anyone but ME!

GW

#149386 - 04/07/07 08:43 AM Re: Many paths [Re: GWsurvives]
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

d

#149446 - 04/07/07 03:26 PM Re: Many paths [Re: jwb1410]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
JWB,

Originally Posted By: jwb1410
My experience in my church has been that many of the kids are forced to attend - the greater the resistance, the greater the force.

I did not have a choice as a child as to whether or not I would attend church, but I found my ways to survive it.

My sister Cathie ("Lady Rock" here on MS) and I used to get dragged to church every Sunday. Our response, once we were old enough to figure out a strategy, was to say we were going to sit in the balcony with our friends. Then we would take off to the State Restaurant down on Front Street, on the river, for burgers and fries. We would have a wonderful time, then blitz back to the church in time for fellowship hour after the service.

What was funny was that Mom would ask us what we thought of the sermon, and we could discuss it with her just on the basis of the title we had seen listed in the program. I guess we were pretty cynical.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#149461 - 04/07/07 04:40 PM Re: Many paths [Re: roadrunner]
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

d

#149464 - 04/07/07 05:01 PM Re: Many paths [Re: Elad 12]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Dale, I do believe children should follow their parents in religion, and the reason I say it, is that religion saved me in the long run.

There can in my eatimation be only one God, call him what you want.
We pretty much blame religion for any bad events that go on, when religion is not the cause of wars and famine.

I have read many books on indigenous peoples and the religion they follow, and it is empowering to read this stuff.
The Mayah indians, Buddhists, Hinduism, do not condone wars, nor do they create them.

Man causes wars with the religious card as its joker!
That statement causes more resentment in communities than any war could possibly achieve, the ability to blame religion as a weapon in terrorism is totally blindsided philosophy,

ste

#149588 - 04/08/07 12:38 PM Re: Many paths [Re: reality2k4]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Larry, Dale,

So funny! I was much more compliant in my church going. When I reached the teen years when church traditionally becomes a terrible bore, our congregation hired a youth pastor who was much more "hip", and we'd often times have our own services. Made it much more palatable to this bad boy, cuz (cos, 'cuz, wink wink) I surely would have been out doing something else even if it was just sitting in the car staring at the dashboard. Perhaps that's the reason I'm still a church goer today.

Lots of love,

John

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.