Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
3 registered (Mr. Malaise, 2 invisible), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63789 Topics
445468 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#146820 - 03/24/07 10:52 AM Justice
Angry Wife Offline

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale Florida
This has been a long year in a half. But finaly charges are being filed monday on the Pastor that raped my husband 20 years ago on 6 felony counts with a mandatory sentence of 5 years on each count. This has been a long jurney for my husband, and I think now he will get his day in court. I would like to say thank you to this sight. It has seen me through many upset days and nights. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you..... : \:\)

#146821 - 03/24/07 11:10 AM Re: Justice [Re: Angry Wife]
istrong Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: CT
You can still press charges even after 20 years? I was under the impression that those type of crimes had a relativly short statute of limitations..around 5 years. I would love to be able to prsss charges...

I'd rather be above the grass than below it.

#146831 - 03/24/07 11:50 AM Re: Justice [Re: istrong]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

istrong,

I had the same question. I do not know all the answers in Angry Wife's case, but would like to offer a couple of explanations on how this can happen.

The charges may be being filed by a current victim, ie one who's still able to file within the statute of limitations.

Also in some nations other than the US there can be a much longer statute or none at all.

I also believe that in some jurisdictions within the US there are laws that will extend the statute of limitations to for example 7 years after the victim reaches the age of majority.

Those are just some of the possibilities. Like I say, I have no clue what the situation is in this particular case.

John

Edited by walkingsouth (03/24/07 11:51 AM)

#146840 - 03/24/07 01:26 PM Re: Justice [Re: WalkingSouth]
stride Offline

Loc: B.C. Canada
I don't know what, if any, the statute of limitations is one such crimes in the U.S., but didn't you (the U.S.) have a number of Catholic priests charged a few years ago for rape and SA related charges for offences committed a decade and more before?

Regardless, all the best to you and your husband, Angry Wife, and may this be a hugely healing event for you both.

Peace,

Stride

Edited by stride (03/24/07 01:28 PM)

#146849 - 03/24/07 03:08 PM Re: Justice [Re: stride]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
The limitations on prosecution of sex crimes will vary from state to state, to the best of my knowledge. It strikes me that it might be great for someone to post the information about each states' (and other countries') limits somewhere here, if the info is easily available.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#146856 - 03/24/07 04:20 PM Re: Justice [Re: tartugas]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
That's kind of a dangerous thing to do. Legal advice has a way of coming back to snap you. If you want to learn the statute in your community, call your local child protection services office. They will certainly know it.

- Mel Brooks

#146864 - 03/24/07 05:50 PM Re: Justice [Re: Nobbynobs]
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
I do know the statutes of limitation on a sexual abuse case in Pennsylvania was just [12/06] runs out when the victim turns 51 yrs old. Tartugas is correct in that each state has its own statute of limitations. Pa. used to be within 3 yrs. of remembering or age 21. Good luck finding the limits in your area.

Howard

#146879 - 03/24/07 08:51 PM Re: Justice [Re: ScottyTodd]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Angry Wife,

It looks to me as if your post got hijacked by us insensitive types (that means me) \:\( And I'd like to apologize for that.

I'd like to say a collective "You're Welcome" from all of us to you and your husband. I hope the process will bring greater recovery and healing to him and you as well. Thanks for letting us know.

Lots of love,

John

#146881 - 03/24/07 08:59 PM Re: Justice [Re: WalkingSouth]
Cecilia Offline

Loc: Maine
Dear AW,

Welcome, welcome and lots of peace and strength to you.

The first four years of our marriage were spent in criminal/civil litigation against the Catholic church and the priest who raped my husband for most of his childhood.

Words cannot describe the moment in the courtroom when my husband sat with his fingers in a contemplative pose, his eyes closed, his mother and father and sister around him and the man who was their family priest and father's best friend was given a guilty verdict. I do not have the perspective to know if the sentence he received was justice, but I do know that for that one moment in time my husband's chains evaporated and society - as represented by a court of law - deemed his reality to be the truth of his own life.

It was a moment never to be forgotten and, yet, since that time our life has been shattered. My husband has withdrawn from me and our life and I have children and can't afford to follow him down his path anymore. It hurts so much.

I hope that you and your husband have good support throughout your ordeal. If you ever need to PM, I cannot say I "understand" as I don't know the details of your path, but I think I have walked a similar walk.

Cecilia

#147723 - 03/30/07 12:51 AM Re: Justice [Re: Cecilia]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
AW,

Allow me to add my own mea cupla to John's above. And also add a big hearty thank you to both of you for having the courage of your conviction to stand up for what is right, especially in the face of a community of supporters who will rush to the defense of the accused with nary a thought for the victims.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#147822 - 03/30/07 01:14 PM Re: Justice [Re: tartugas]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Angry Wife,

Congratulations to the both of you for getting this into court. But of course be prepared. The heavy stuff is yet to come and I hope you will keep us informed of how it goes. When it becomes stressful and frustrating, please do feel free to come and vent here. It's often so great just to know people are listening.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.