Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
4 registered (Seekingwisdom, myrlin, Jude, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447686 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#145728 - 03/17/07 01:16 AM Entire Texas youth prison board resigns
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Holy smoke!

Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The entire board of directors for the state's troubled youth prisons resigned Friday after weeks of criticism sparked by reports that agency workers covered up sex abuse of inmates.

The six-member Texas Youth Commission submitted resignation letters to Gov. Rick Perry after recommending a reform plan that calls for stricter supervision and new rules on sex abuse allegations, Perry spokesman Ted Royer said.

State auditor John Keel, who assisted in the investigation and penned a report with 50 recommendations, said conditions at the West Texas State School are so bad that it should be evaluated for closure.

Jaysus. What can we say?

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#145752 - 03/17/07 08:07 AM Re: Entire Texas youth prison board resigns [Re: melliferal]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Wow!

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#145753 - 03/17/07 08:21 AM Re: Entire Texas youth prison board resigns [Re: melliferal]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
If you want to abuse kids, what safer place to do it other than a prison!!!

Nuff said,

ste

#145769 - 03/17/07 11:35 AM Re: Entire Texas youth prison board resigns [Re: reality2k4]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

they should be in their own prison

#145799 - 03/17/07 02:05 PM Re: Entire Texas youth prison board resigns [Re: shadowkid]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well Shadow, I think I might have to disagree with you here. The abuse of inmates certainly wasn't policy at the state level. The people actually involved in the initial abuse case and its coverup are in jail; those fingered in all the new complaints are being dealt with in a similar way. I think the state-level staff's resignation is an adequate show of their accepting responsibility.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#145802 - 03/17/07 02:21 PM Re: Entire Texas youth prison board resigns [Re: melliferal]
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Sometimes those bootcamps get carried away. For the most part that structured, tough approach works for a certain kind of kid; however, that crew just completely stepped miles over the necessary boundaries!!! They need to be held accountable and monitored in a closer way!!

Howard

#145822 - 03/17/07 04:21 PM Re: Entire Texas youth prison board resigns [Re: ScottyTodd]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

mell ,if you own a viscious dog and it bites somebody who is responsible? scotty im not being a smart ass here but!get educated about what 80%of boot camps are like. someone posted a long time ago here might have been walking south some pics from a boot camp ,the only person who can tell you what its like is a survivor ,yeah if you made it through you were a survivor,and well we all know most survivors dont talk about it dont we? if you dont mind a mile long post i can tell you what boot camp is like might change your mind .

#145826 - 03/17/07 04:27 PM Re: Entire Texas youth prison board resigns [Re: shadowkid]
shadowkid Offline
MaleSurvivor

PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO IN THE POST TITLED SHADOWKID ,TRIGGER WARNING

#145829 - 03/17/07 04:41 PM Re: Entire Texas youth prison board resigns [Re: shadowkid]
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Shadowkid and the Guys , I work with kids who go to and from BootCamps and I do hear and deal with the kinds of stories you've experienced. I agree there are terrible people that make those experiences terrible and horrible. There are some good people as well.

I am angry at those jurisdictions that misuse bootcamps and others just as horrible places because "it's convenient for" the system. I deplore those jurisdictions that allow these places to operate without accountability and a 'checks and balances' system. That the child advocates aren't able to step in and correct these problems.

I'm sorry for you guys that were terrorized, beaten, assaulted and a host of other horrendous experiences that should never have happened. My anger moves into 'homicidal' mode against such exploitative people in the system. I do not ever want to minimize the trauma and tragedy these places can inflict. Some of you are products of these "cesspools" of S&M guards.

But not all boot camps ruin kids lives.

Howard

PS: Mell, Shadow and others - your stories are awful - but don't let those evil parts of a system steal from what you have accomplished in recovery today.

#146270 - 03/20/07 04:22 PM Re: Entire Texas youth prison board resigns [Re: ScottyTodd]
philobat Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
There is progress in the world because it is coming out into the open. I was sent to a "boys" home and before that Juvenile hall and there were some events that happened which should not have- and not just to me. Nothing was ever done about it and know one ever heard about it.

At least now its getting talked about and people are beginning to realize that the epidemic of child abuse is enormous and completely uncontrollable.

I believe the pendulum will swing for a while but will eventually come to a balance as more and more survivors find our voices we will begin to create the appropriate places where that heinous and reprehensible garbage will not occur- and should it rear its ugly head- APPROPRIATE action will be taken.

I echo Howard in that not all boot camps are evil, but its a fear that could keep a good boot camp from helping a kid into proper recovery.

The system is a complete failure- totally corrupt- morally reprehensible and is clearly designed to keep perps on the streets and victims silent.

The truth is there are some amazing and wonderful people trying to implement the right thing and are working diligently to create changes to direct the system to what it is supposed to be.

So as long as there are fighters fighting the true fight- there is hope.

-Philobat

Edited by philobat (03/20/07 04:23 PM)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.