Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
2 registered (Aptrick, Mr. Malaise), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443287 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#144102 - 03/05/07 09:48 AM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: soapy bubbles]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

In high school, some of the guys who picked on me started calling me "Dewey". Their tone of voice made the nickname an insult. My baseball coaches picked up on it and started using the name as well, but without the condemnation that came from my peers. As a result, I took the nickname from my coaches because it became linked to something I love, and because I honored and respected my coaches.

2k comes from trying to register "Dewey" as an e-mail address. It had already been taken, so I added 2k for the year 2000, and it worked.

-Dewey2k

#144115 - 03/05/07 01:38 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: Dewey2k]
Cooljule Offline

Loc: New Jersey
CoolJule came from a friend name Spike when i was 7th or 8th grade, he was about 6yrs older than me..he was a tough street kid(cool was my outside demeaner, inside i had no feelings and jule short for Julian (*wow brings up things)spike died in prison

Julian

Edited by Cooljule (03/16/07 03:46 PM)

#144118 - 03/05/07 02:15 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: Cooljule]
pietie Offline

Loc: South Africa
Everybody refers to Tom, Dick and Harry. The South African equivalant is Pietie Jannie & Kosie. I guess i wanted to dissapear in the crowd.

#144156 - 03/05/07 08:10 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: Brokenhearted]
Aidanchase Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Its not unique at all, It is my first and middle name. When I turned 19 I legaly changed both of them to the current names.

the old names were chosen and spelt specialy by her...

To be honest I picked them from babynames.com

Aidan is the number one name for newborns in 2005 i think it was... It come from a Saint I think it was and it means firey

Chase is another name from the same site.. i just like how it sounds like chasing a goal i guess... it all sounds really dumb.. but on any chat thing I usualy use Aidan or ACS or AidanChase all based of my new name.

Oh and the picture because a few people have mentioned it... its not just an avatar its a very special picture... its actually got my brother in it its a picture taken before my family broke.. making that little boy me.

Edited by Aidanchase (03/05/07 08:12 PM)

#144363 - 03/07/07 10:05 AM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: shadowkid]
DeafDavid Offline

Loc: NM
My name is David and I'm deaf. The whole reason I say it up front is that my Dad (and perp) always hated that I am deaf and tried to keep anyone from knowing about it. I am now trying just to be proud of who I am but that is difficult.

#144394 - 03/07/07 04:26 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: shadowkid]
GWsurvives Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Atlanta, and here, among othe...
Mine is just my initials.. but my Penquin is how I feel here. If you saw March of the Penquins, the part where they are all huddled together, keeping each other safe from the storm. Also, I posted "Shards of Glass" in the poetry section. It has been very powerful for me. There is a reference to "learning how to dance". Hence.. a dancing penquin.

Take good care.

Edited by GWsurvives (03/09/07 03:06 AM)

#144400 - 03/07/07 05:56 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: GWsurvives]
Rambler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Planet Earth
Mine is from the make of cars I once collected and tinkered on. They were kind of the orphan (American Motors) and not one of the 'BIG 3'(Chevrolet, Chrysler, Ford). I also tend to talk alot when I choose to and am allowed to.

#144402 - 03/07/07 06:26 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: Rambler]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
tartugas is an rather obscure spelling of tortugas, the spanish word for turtle

Shortly after realizing the effect my abuse had on me, my "kid" told me that he thought I was a turtle. The more I reflected on it, the more it seemed totally appropriate. I have a hard external shell (living in my head, shutting out all my emotions, keeping my distance from people) that protects me from getting hurt. And whenver I feel threatened by life I withdraw into it.

The spelling of the name is catalan. I chose the more obscure version for two reasons. One I thought it sounded cooler. And two, I can be pretty damn obscure at times.

(I also kind of like the memory of that old cartoon of the tortise who beats the hare, helps remind me that living fast doesn't always mean I'll win the race. But living intelligently and with determination always wins)

Edited by tartugas (03/07/07 06:36 PM)
Healing D.H. Lawrence

#144407 - 03/07/07 07:28 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: tartugas]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
MemoryVault just came to me. I guess I was feeling a lot like a bank vault that my family stored its secrets in. But vaults can open, too. It's a heavy door, and a strong and secure place inside.

#144450 - 03/08/07 12:04 AM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: DeafDavid]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

hmmm... This is a nice topic to bring up every few months.

WalkingSouth... it began on a very cold winter day a few years back when for whatever reason I was pretty much forced to work out in the weather all day instead of in my nice cozy office. By the time the day was over I figured I'd be heading south to a warmer climate even if I had to walk to get there. I think that night at home I had to pick out a username or some such for something I was doing at the time on the www, so I picked WalkingSouth.

Later on when I began my recovery and found the MS site it became more of a symbolic name in that I'm still heading for warmer places figuratively speaking even if it's a long slow journey symbolized by walking.

Lots of Love,

John

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.