Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
5 registered (ScottSmith, Jacob S, Obi, lapchinj, 1 invisible), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63191 Topics
441852 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#145623 - 03/16/07 06:22 AM a question about sleeping difficulties ...
soapy bubbles Offline

Loc: london
I originally put this post in the 'off topic' section, but I think it might be better here....

Can anyone help me with information about non-addictive, non-pre>

“Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.” --- Eleanor Roosevelt

#146049 - 03/19/07 04:12 AM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... [Re: soapy bubbles]
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Hi,

I've had sleeping problems for years, ive tried many things from pre>

#146060 - 03/19/07 08:46 AM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... [Re: irishguy]
soapy bubbles Offline

Thanks for that. My bf is Irish too :-)
x

“Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.” --- Eleanor Roosevelt

#146308 - 03/20/07 09:56 PM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... [Re: soapy bubbles]
Morning Star Offline

Loc: Home
Have you tried meditation for relaxation before sleeping so that daily mental energy does not interfere with the sleep cycle, or triggers residual memeories of abuse during the night, causing excessive nightmares.

A simple slow, deep breathing exercise before sleeping would be also effective, to begin with.

Why Don't People Heal, by Caroline Myss; 30 days to clean up your vibrations - Abraham-Hicks

#146380 - 03/21/07 12:07 PM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... [Re: Morning Star]
istrong Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: CT
How exactly do you meditate? my mind is always was to active. Id love to find a good alternative to drugs. I dont even take OTCs.

I'd rather be above the grass than below it.

#146437 - 03/21/07 09:42 PM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... [Re: istrong]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
I have in the past taken a few diffrent sleep aids - the one that works for me that is non-persciption and has the least side effects has been "Simply Sleep" by the makers of Tylenol

TJ jeff

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#146442 - 03/21/07 09:58 PM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... [Re: TJ jeff]
BT Offline

Loc: Chicago IL
I am one that had significant sleep disorders for most of my life. Many of the problems I had I considered normal and did not realize they were a problem until I was in my 40's.

I had not only tried various over the counter sleep aids, but had progressed through various pre>

#146632 - 03/23/07 05:53 AM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... [Re: BT]
beccy Offline

Loc: england
Homeopathic treatment may also be helpful for this, although i can't be totally certain. If you were to try it, seek out a good, experienced one.

peace
Beccy

Edited by beccy (03/23/07 05:53 AM)

#146639 - 03/23/07 06:42 AM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... [Re: beccy]
soapy bubbles Offline

Thanks for your replies.
Lots to think about!
SB x

#146814 - 03/24/07 09:14 AM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... [Re: soapy bubbles]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Hey SB,

Another line of thought on this... I've been having more and more powerful dreams ever since I returned from Napa. My T and I feel that what's going on is that I'm beginning to process a lot of hte feelings that I have kept under wraps for so long. It is beginnign to affect my ability to sleep thorugh the night, and I often find myself staying up later and later to "read" or "watch that show I've been meaning to". In fact, I think I'm simply trying to avoid some of the dreams.

I wonder if the bf isn't going through something similar? Perhaps some of the nightmares are relly very powerful attemtps by his mind to process feeelings that need to be accepted and moved through in order to continue healing. If so, it may help him to talk about the dreams and his feelings. Also, I feel that being on an anti-depressant has been very helpful to me in helping me process some of the feelings. The drug I'm on does not inhibit any emotions at all, rather it sort of raises the threshold at which I can handle everything, so I don't get overwhelemd like I used to. It also has helpful side effect of amplifying my natural body rhythms and, for instance, making me more tired which helps me fall asleep also.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#147064 - 03/26/07 07:09 AM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... *DELETED* [Re: tartugas]
soapy bubbles Offline

Post deleted by soapy bubbles

#149700 - 04/08/07 08:31 PM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... [Re: soapy bubbles]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

SB,

One of the things that helped me when I was having similar difficulties with nightmares was to fill my mind just prior to sleep time with relaxing, happy, thoughts or meditative type music, or both. I'd read books with happy messages or funny episodes that were non-violent in nature. Easy listening music that had nothing to do with Cryin', Lovin', or Leavin'!

That's the kind of thing that works for me.

John

#151233 - 04/16/07 10:12 PM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... [Re: WalkingSouth]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Hey soapy, If you check the news section Ken Singer wrote a post devoted to this topic.

If it is nightmares, this med is not in the slitest bit addictived or he could try the OTC med Dyphenhydromine Hydrocloride (hcl) also known as Benadryl. but the later made me feel groggy and didn't do much for the nightmares

take care,

Logan

Edited by Logan (04/16/07 10:17 PM)
-Blade Runner

#152727 - 04/25/07 06:13 AM Re: a question about sleeping difficulties ... [Re: Logan]
soapy bubbles Offline

Thanks Logan, I'll read Ken's post
SB x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.