Newest Members
Barracuda312, Just Hanging, mossTI, E35, 1975
12339 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (traveler, 4 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12339 Members
74 Forums
63434 Topics
443436 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#144331 - 03/07/07 01:01 AM idea for nyc conference
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Hi everyone,

So an idea came up at the retreat this past weekend for a "open mic" night at the october conference. There were so many people sharing so many wonderful talents that it seemed only natural that we try to incorporate it into the conference in October. I spoke to Tony who was a facilitator at the weekend in Napa and he was very supportive of the idea.

My plan is to have anywhere from 6 to 10 short preformances of any variety. First come, first serve for the slots. Performers will each have a maximum of 5 minutes to perform whatever they want (dance, sing, read, whatevah!). After which there will be a 5 minute period for feedback from the audience. This second part is, I feel, the most critical because it will give survivors an opportunity not just to be heard, but openly acknowledged, supported, and praised for their work.

So peanut gallery... what's the word? You want to give this thing a shot? I'm willing to handle most of the organization (gulp!), but I need to know if there are enough guys who would be willing to take part.

You can PM me or reply in the thread.

Thanks!

PS This is not an official call for submissions or sign ups. That will come later, right now I'm just testing the waters to see if there's interest.

Edited by tartugas (03/07/07 01:07 AM)
Healing D.H. Lawrence

#144895 - 03/11/07 05:42 AM Re: idea for nyc conference [Re: tartugas]
AshSurvived Offline

Loc: Australia
I obviously can't be involved, but this is a very brave, scary and wonderful idea.

One peanut if I may: I had the image in my mind of a Hardcore gig, where the band in on ground level in the middle of the kids who are all going nuts and moshing around them. In a sense I would like to be involved in jamming, or speaking in that very low key context, all down on the level, no stage, no posturing, no pressure.

Kind of like group sharing, you can recite a poem to your friends face to face, rather than feel that you have to be 'on'. You can play the bongos and someone next to you can clap their hands, and another guy can bang his shoes together, and then there's tartugas on the spoons, the possiblities are endless.

Anyway, good luck with organising this, however you decide to run it.

- Harvey Pekar to David Letterman
(American Splendour)

#145048 - 03/12/07 06:02 AM Re: idea for nyc conference [Re: AshSurvived]
peacefulhealing Offline

Hello Tartugas,

Have found my way on-line. Seems I signed up awhile ago, just had gotten side-tracked. Well...I think an open-mic is a great idea. I actually am in the process of working on a proposal to do a performance at the conference...though not sure the logistics of it, and whether or not I can pull it off by the deadline of March 15. Anyhow, you have my support, anyways you need help let me know, and I'll see what I can do. If it doesn't work out for the conference, perhaps we can organize some travelling show with survivors, and maybe put together a CD or book of poetry.

Peace Out
Brian (The Musician from Vegas)

#145054 - 03/12/07 07:15 AM Re: idea for nyc conference [Re: peacefulhealing]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Hey Brian,

Thanks for your support, and best of luck in putting together your proposal. I think it would be fantastic to have all kinds of performances at the conference. If I can be of any assistance let me know as well.

I'm looking at setting up in a classroom, but I can certainly look into having a keyboard available if you would be kind enough to share your talents with us.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#184918 - 10/05/07 02:28 PM Re: idea for nyc conference [Re: tartugas]
peacefulhealing Offline

Hi Tartugus,

Sorry I don't remember your name. But I remember you. Did you ever get into the conference? I'm thinking of going, but didn't get in to do a show. If you did get in, maybe I can take you up on that keyboard. Also, do you know of any great open mics in the area to do while I'm there that week...piano/keyboard's a must!

Edited by peacefulhealing (10/05/07 02:29 PM)

#185830 - 10/09/07 09:27 AM Re: idea for nyc conference [Re: peacefulhealing]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
This sounds like an interesting idea and I'd like to see what comes of it in terms of specific proposals. I have always found that doing something creative is a great help when I feel down.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.