Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
2 registered (Obi, 1 invisible), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63789 Topics
445460 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#144315 - 03/06/07 11:17 PM New here hurting really bad
woundedwolf Offline
New Here

Loc: jersey
Hey
I am new here not sure what to say but I am in the thick of the storm with my therapist. I am also a recovering alcoholic I am having probably the most difficult time right now trying to face this sober any tips would be much appreciated.Thank you

#144318 - 03/06/07 11:28 PM Re: New here hurting really bad [Re: woundedwolf]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Take one step at a time, don't try to take on too much at once, and remember that memories, flashbacks and thoughts can't hurt you.

Oh, and welcome!

Edited by Nobbynobs (03/06/07 11:28 PM)

- Mel Brooks

#144320 - 03/06/07 11:38 PM Re: New here hurting really bad [Re: woundedwolf]
Aidanchase Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Welcome reaching out for support is always a very good step. I found relating with survivors can help on parts therepists dont seem to for me.

We are here to support and help on anything on your mind all you have to do is ask.

Glad you came and hoping for a better tomorrow.

#144325 - 03/07/07 12:04 AM Re: New here hurting really bad [Re: Aidanchase]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
welcome wolf,

I am sorry for your struggles. However I applaud your courage to stand up and be counted among the survivors. The first steps we take on the path to recovery are always the most difficult. I promise you that you will find more love and support here than you might even be able to process at the moment. That's okay, just don't ever be afraid to ask anything here.

One thing I've found that always helps me get through really bad streches of anxiety is slowing down my breathing. There are many techniques you can use to do this, but I find square breathing works best for me.

By far the best advice I can give you is this however, don't try to do all the healing on your own. We're here to help, and if you T isn'yt working out, don't feel you can't move on and look for someone else. It's your life, your health, and your heart. No one can ever take those away from you again.

Best wishes.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#144351 - 03/07/07 06:48 AM Re: New here hurting really bad [Re: tartugas]
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
Wolf,

Welcome first off, and I know what your talking about "trying to face it sober" I did the weekend warrior drinking thing for many years until one day it just stopped. I no longer wanted my mind to be altered by a chemical. It happened around the time I felt like I deserved better, I truly felt worthy of being human once more and I wanted to see life without the alcohol making it appear to be tolerable.

Keep up the good fight and know that we are all rooting for you.

God Bless,

#144355 - 03/07/07 07:44 AM Re: New here hurting really bad [Re: woundedwolf]
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Woundedwolf,

I'm glad you started a thread of your own.

You don't say if you're new to recovery from alcoholism as well as new on this journey. If you have some sobriety, the things that help you stay sober may be things that will help you with this, too. Finding others who are dealing honestly with the same issues and struggles, keeping yourself honest with yourself, taking good care of your own health, physically, mentally, and spiritually.

If you're new at both, you are one of the most remarkable men. Usually it takes a while for people who give up some addiction to realize the effect that their past had on feeding the addiction.

Look around. There are a lot of stories here from years worth of struggles by people all around the world. Some are stories of great victories. Some are stories of setbacks. Some are stories of painful loss. But every time one of us takes any step toward living a better life, because somewhere inside we know we deserve that, we live a story of courage. Your speaking out is one such step. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks,

Joe

#144356 - 03/07/07 07:45 AM Re: New here hurting really bad [Re: woundedwolf]
Morning Star Offline

Loc: Home

The first step towards overcoming any addiction is to embrace it, and then understand that what gets addicted to any thing external is the broken down part of us, that doesn't find the requisite love and affection within and looks for it repeatedly on the outside.

So the first step would be to avoid indulging in self-hate, bitterness or frustration when you do indulge in your addiction.

Slowly with the increase in self love, the need for the external substance will go away automatically.

Also avoid focusing too much on getting over the addiction, instead use the same energy to make your life as fulfilling you can, so that gradually the sober period increase bit by bit, and soon you will no longer need an external device to soothe you, as you would have learned that for your self, by yourself.

Meanwhile make your life the focus of your everyday life and not your addiction. What you focus on grows, by the power of your attention. So start paying more attention to your everyday activities and add more joy and life to tem and soon you’d no longer need any external substance or support to feel fulfilled, loved and cared. Nothing can heal better than love itself, and you are the only source for that in your life.

By the way, I would recommend you a small book about finding inner balance and healing in life called, BEING IN BALANCE, by Dr. Wayne Dyer, it might give you some insights into the precise dynamics of an addicted life and also how you can turn over life as well as your addiction to a higher power, for healing and greater freedom.

All the best,

Why Don't People Heal, by Caroline Myss; 30 days to clean up your vibrations - Abraham-Hicks

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.