Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
7 registered (HD001, Scott1962, Jay1946, 3 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63355 Topics
443023 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#142467 - 02/20/07 12:56 PM HALEY LOOKED INTO HIS DARK PAST TO PLAY PAEDOPHILE
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Oscar-nominated actor JACKIE EARLE HALEY channelled the demons of his own past when he played a paedophile in LITTLE CHILDREN. The 45-year-old star, who this Sunday (25FEB07) is up for a Best Supporting Actor Academy Award for his role in the film, recalled his own "self-loathing" to play RONNIE J. MCGORVEY. He tells PageSix.com, "After what I've been through in life, I can't describe what this means. "I had to try and relate to this character's reality and truth. I did research into sex offenders. I had to find something to relate to in my own life. I couldn't relate to his impulses, but I could to his obsessive behaviour. A tormented soul with low self-esteem, he looks upon himself with loathing. There's only one person in his life. His mother. "At times in my life, I'd suffered low self-esteem and self-loathing. I needed an escape. In order not to deal with it, I obsessed about alcohol and nail-biting. Obsession is a mechanism to cope. "My own brother was a heroin addict. A vicious cycle for 10 years until he died. Always strung out on heroin. He stole from my mom and his siblings. Stuff went missing, so we kept him away. "But not mom. She always gave him unconditional love. She let him in the house even if he stole... I grew to understand this character I was playing."

#169720 - 07/30/07 01:38 AM This movie is brillliant - "Little Children" [Re: reality2k4]
Brokenhearted Offline

Loc: TX
Whoa, I just watched this movie tonight. For some reason the title "Little Children" seemed profound to me. My intuition was right. It speaks of how the cycle of adults' selfish desires affect children - and how this neglect of children so often leads to them being victimized, vulnerable to abuse later, how the cycle keeps going unless families start staying together with a mom AND dad to protect their young who will become the adults with their most basic needs met (affirmation, unconditional love, self-esteem, praise, time spent with the kids so they believe they are "worthy", etc). Excellent movie, hardhitting and realistic and sometimes hard to watch (I had to pause several times just to gather my thoughts) but the ENDING is everything I thought it would be and hoped for. It speaks to how the cycle CAN be broken, and how doing the right thing is never impossible and is even ultimately the most attractive thing to do, and WHY (to protect precious lives from being emotionally vulnerable to harm). It is a snapshot of "the big picture" which is sometimes hard to see from one's own selfish subjective viewpoint in life.

Edited by Brokenhearted (07/30/07 01:40 AM)

It were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
Luke 17:2

#170574 - 08/02/07 06:01 PM Re: This movie is brillliant - "Little Children" [Re: Brokenhearted]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Ste,

That's a very good one indeed. A powerful and honest film that, as BH says, has the ending we hope it will.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.