Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
4 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, 3 invisible), 51 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63119 Topics
441403 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#141523 - 02/14/07 07:07 AM Fear that stops men helping kids
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I remember helping a kid in distress by breaking up a fight.
It did cross my mind on how it could be viewed by onlookers.
We live in a world where we cannot even be responsible adults
without thinking the worst.

MILLIONS of men would refuse to help a child in distress through fear of being branded perverts, new research claims.

A heightened awareness of paedophilia has revealed more than seven in 10 men are afraid to help youngsters who appear lost or vulnerable in a public place.

A total 75 per cent of men said they would not help children in distress as they were worried about how it would appear to onlookers.

The poll of 500 men was commissioned by child safety firm Identikids, an organisation behind child ID wristbands available at high street stores.

It also found 45 per cent would decide not to directly help a distressed child, perhaps finding a female passer-by or another member of the public to help approach the youngster.

IdentiKids's website, http://www.identifyme.co.uk, contains information on what to do if you find a lost child.

#141531 - 02/14/07 08:07 AM Re: Fear that stops men helping kids [Re: reality2k4]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: reality2k4
The poll of 500 men was commissioned by child safety firm Identikids, an organisation behind child ID wristbands available at high street stores.

Yah right.

I'd help a kid out. I don't know a guy who wouldn't.

Edited by Nobbynobs (02/14/07 08:11 AM)

- Mel Brooks

#141535 - 02/14/07 09:37 AM Re: Fear that stops men helping kids [Re: Nobbynobs]
batcountry Offline

Loc: the ether
i think there is too much paranoia about child molestors.

of course we want to be aware of them and stop them from hurting kids. but it doesnt help that some people assume EVERY male is a molestor because that may make them less likely to stop a real molestor!

and yet, while we are so paranoid about it, it is still a tabboo subject. so kids and adults get confusing mixed messages. its just no good.

#141610 - 02/14/07 04:01 PM Re: Fear that stops men helping kids [Re: batcountry]
philobat Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I don't care what anybody thinks. If I see a kid in distress, I am going to help him.

#141615 - 02/14/07 04:37 PM Re: Fear that stops men helping kids [Re: philobat]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I sure would after being bullied at school, and kids can be more evil than adults,

ste

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.