Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closure (24), esp22 (40)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 21 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63239 Topics
442217 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#140966 - 02/10/07 07:17 AM Notes On A Scandal
AshSurvived Offline

Loc: Australia
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465551/

Female teacher has 'affair' with 15 year old student. Anyone planning on seeing this? Might check it out on DVD, Dench and Blanchet are always worth seeing.

- Harvey Pekar to David Letterman
(American Splendour)

#141499 - 02/14/07 12:18 AM Re: Notes On A Scandal [Re: AshSurvived]
cpt. confusion Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: midwest
I actually saw it last weekend with my fiance, it was her turn to pick the movie... Well, to be completely honest, I was not impressed. I left the theater kind of numb because I wasn't sure how to feel about the movie. It was not really triggering to me, however, in my opinion it was almost defending the teacher in a way. it seemes to me that the writer/director was trying to portray the teacher in a way that would make the viewer sympathetic to her, because at the same time that she was a perp, she was also a victim. i just couldn't find the sympathy inside me. My fiance saw it as a perspective on human relationships... and maybe thats what it was. I just had/have a hard time deciphering exactly what I thought about it. so.. i guess in short, if you feel like analyzing deviant human sexuality, then sure check it out. maybe i'm overly critical, but, i'd have prefered to see this on dvd, if at all.

hope i haven't ruined it for anyone that might be interested... this is only my opinion of course.

peace.
-cpt.

*WoR Alum
Sequoia I-March '11
Alta II, September '11

#141595 - 02/14/07 03:11 PM Re: Notes On A Scandal [Re: cpt. confusion]
philobat Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I watched Notes On A Scandal. It was very difficult to watch the sex scenes, luckily I have a screener so I was able to fast forward through that part.

I think there was a lot of valuable information in this film. It also shows that perps do not ever seem to learn or see their abusiveness. The selfishness that Judy Dench's character was quite interesting to watch.

It does appear that Cate Blanchett's character pretty much got away scott free and I did not like that aspect at all. However, in reality perps get away all the time so I shouldn't be so shocked.

There are two other films I recommend. A Thousand Acres- With Michelle Pfiefer and Jessica Lang and Bliss with Craig Sheffer.

Just my $0.02!

_Philobat

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.