Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
6 registered (GT13568, Scott1962, WriterKeith, Don Laufersweiler, CCDC, LPC, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63226 Topics
442133 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#140140 - 02/03/07 11:53 AM Catholic perspectives on CSA
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Hi,

I am going to be writing a theological paper (in preparation for my Confession) on Catholic perspectives on CSA. My main theme is going to focussing on Catholic victims and the role that sinfulness and forgiveness have on their recovery. I will be using the case of St. Maria Goretti as my basis for my theme.

I am interested in hearing the perspectives of other Catholics on this. If any Catholics (or anyone from a Trinitarian "Catholic" Church such as Lutherans or Anglicans) would like to enter into an email discussion with me on the subject, please drop me a PM.

Thanks,

Nobby

Edited by Nobbynobs (02/03/07 11:54 AM)

- Mel Brooks

#140180 - 02/03/07 03:43 PM Re: Catholic perspectives on CSA [Re: Nobbynobs]
froggy12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Marlboro, MA 01752
I was 14 or 15 when I was raped. No idea who perp was. I went to confession and the priest said I was not at fault, hence no sin. Of course he was a Harvard grad and perhaps more enlightened (pun). This was in an era when sex discussion for teens was like discussing life on Mars. Unknown. A certain 'cloud of unknowing' persisted, id est 'jansenism.'

later

froggy

#140189 - 02/03/07 04:04 PM Re: Catholic perspectives on CSA [Re: froggy12]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Too late at night here, but I will post a piece on a boy of catholic religion, and thoughts of forgiveness etc.,

ste

#140213 - 02/03/07 07:04 PM Re: Catholic perspectives on CSA [Re: reality2k4]
froggy12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

De profundis clamavi ad te Domine (From the depths, I cried to you, Lord!) and the Lord yelled back "Later, I'm busy. Bush is at it again. I'll get back to you." And he did.

froggy

#140243 - 02/03/07 11:35 PM Re: Catholic perspectives on CSA [Re: froggy12]
froggy12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Maria Goretti is nice, but in Uganda in the mid-1800s, the king was of the Islamic persuasion; he was annoyed when several of his pages were Baptized Christians and refused to participate in his homosexual activities. They retained their chastity but were burned alive.

"Carl Lwanga (or Charles Lwanga) (1865 June 3, 1886) was a Ugandan Roman Catholic catechist martyred for his faith and revered as a saint in the Catholic Church. He was born in the kingdom of Buganda in the southern part of modern Uganda, and served as a page in the court of King Mwanga II.

Mwanga began to insist Christian converts abandon their new faith, and executed many Catholic and Anglicans between 1885 and 1887; many of them were officials in the court of the king or otherwise very close to him, including Lwanga. He protected his companions, ages 13-30, from the immoral acts and homosexual demands of King Mwanga. After a massacre of Anglicans in 1885 the court's resident Catholic priest, Joseph Mukasa, reproached the king for the deed. Mwanga had Mukasa beheaded and arrested all of his followers. Lwanga took up Mukasa's duties, and secretly baptized those of his pupils who had only been catechumens. Carl Lwanga and 21 other Catholics were burned alive on June 3, 1886.

Carl Lwanga and his companions in death were canonized in 1964 by Pope Paul VI. Although the Anglicans were not canonized (as non-Catholics, this would have been impossible), their martyrdom was recognized by the Pope."

Wikipedia, a thousand thanks again!

Idi Amin Dada (his full name) was not unique.

froggy

#140247 - 02/04/07 12:29 AM Re: Catholic perspectives on CSA [Re: froggy12]
Mark Antony Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hi Nobby what diocese are you in? I never had to do any paper in preparation for reception of any sacrament. Nor did my wife when she converted. I find it refreshing that the church is as interested in making sure the catechumens really understand the teaching of the church they are about to join. As far as the sex abuse issue and confession. I have to say the requirements for an act to be a sin you must 1. know that is wrong 2. Do it willingly knowing it is wrong. Therefore a victim does not have any sin in sex abuse. A victim usually does feel guilty because they do not understand who is at fault. Forgiveness is an important part of healling I feel it is a must for a victim too fully heal otherwise the burden carried by the victim will soon consume him and keep him from developing normaly. The have and anger will make a victims life dark and he will not be able to have normal relationships with anyone. He must forgive or be eaten alive by the pain and wounds created by the CSA

Mark Antony

#140248 - 02/04/07 12:32 AM Re: Catholic perspectives on CSA [Re: Mark Antony]
Mark Antony Offline

Nobbynobs Welcome aboard We need good men in the church

Mark Antony

#140277 - 02/04/07 09:10 AM Re: Catholic perspectives on CSA [Re: Mark Antony]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Hi Mark, I am in Toronto.

The paper is not a requirement of my Catechism, just something that I am doing on my own. I don't know where I will end up with it, but I love writing and it is how I explore my life, so it is part of my growth. If that makes any sense at all. ;\)

- Mel Brooks

#140565 - 02/07/07 03:31 AM Re: Catholic perspectives on CSA [Re: Nobbynobs]
zen-boy Offline
New Here

For some people, spirituality is a powerful tool for healing. Perhaps it is so with you.

I wonder, however, whether an emphasis on "Catholic survivors" will lead you where you want to go. I am particularly concerned with your questions about "the role that sinfulness and forgiveness have on their recovery."

Carl Lwanga and Maria Goretti (as well as others) can provide you with examples. However, the most powerful teaching on sinfulness and forgiveness will come from your own experiences. What have you learned about sin as an explanation for harm and evil in the world, in this case sexual abuse? What does forgiveness mean to you, in light of these examples and others? How can forgiveness be something real in your life and not just a quaint notion or something "heavenly" reserved for saints?

May you find what you truly seek and that which will give you abiding happiness and peace.

#140575 - 02/07/07 07:32 AM Re: Catholic perspectives on CSA [Re: froggy12]
Mark Antony Offline

Froggy12

Remember sometimes the LORDS answer is not right now. We need to learn what he has to teach before he brings us out of the desert . As far as Zen-boys statement I think that different religions put there own spin on things and the Catholic spin may cause the Catholics to have a different reaction. I hope that all religions put the sin where it belongs, on the perp. That leaves the victim to deal with the forgiveness part. It is very difficult to go through the forgiveness process but it is also very nessesary for healing

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.