Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
1 registered (wearytraveler), 15 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63437 Topics
443456 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#139002 - 01/25/07 04:06 PM Mandatory Prison Sentences? - possible triggers
Zipser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Connecticut
Hello everyone,

A Connecticut legislator wants to resurrect a proposal that would impose 25-year mandatory minimum sentences on child sex offenders.

While there are those who believe that the punishment will fit the crime there are concerns over the unintended consequences, including a lower conviction rate for sex offenders.

Another legislator who is a former prosecutor thinks it's a great idea that just won't work. As a matter of fact he says it's counterproductive as no one will now plead guilty when faced with a mandatory 25 year stretch and opt for a jury trial instead.

I think we all can appreciate how reluctant a child's parents would be to have him or her have to testify in court and then have to undergo a rather rigorous cross examination by the defense.

So I'd like to hear from you. Any thoughts on mandatory sentences of 25 years for a first offense?

I'd especially like to hear from Ken Singer if possible as he is perhaps the most knowledgeable voice we have in this area.

At the present time the language is very broad so an over-amorous teenager could find himself in trouble but I expect the language to be refined if this proposal moves forward.

Thanks!

Paul

#139018 - 01/25/07 07:55 PM Re: Mandatory Prison Sentences? - possible triggers [Re: Zipser]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Hi Zipster,

I personally don't think mandatory minimum sentences work in any forum, so my opinion is no, it's not a good idea. Too many people who shouldn't get caught up in such a vast net.

Mandatory guidelines however are another story, strict ones. Too many judges are simply fools who do not sentence child molesters, rapists and murderers to anywhere near what they should and parents/caretakers seem to be let off the easiest. I'm also a fan of the 3 strikes and you're out program for felony convictions. Believe me, I don't want anyone who would harm a child to have 3 chances at it, but at the same time, it happens, too often with no recourse. People scream bloody murder that it happened in the first place but then nothing gets done to prevent it from happening again.

Sentence them to longer terms and mandatory treatment both during and after prison. Moditor them, not just by forcing them to register, which doesn't always happen, especially with the worst of them, but by providing their names, de>

#139019 - 01/25/07 08:05 PM Re: Mandatory Prison Sentences? - possible triggers [Re: Trish4850]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

The exception to my opinion on the above is murder or deliberate attempted murder. To me, there should be no wiggle room on that one.

OK, I'm done, I think.

ROCK ON.......Trish

#139041 - 01/25/07 11:27 PM Re: Mandatory Prison Sentences? - possible triggers [Re: Trish4850]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

the only problem i see with it is the prisons would be filled just with the sex offenders,there is not enough room to keep them all for 25 years.one thing id like to say cause i know ,is that kids can and do go through trials ,and yes to me it was every bit as bad as the abuse ,if the evidence is collected right and the prosecuter does his job all the kid should have to do is point to the perp ,and say yes he did it.but it dont work that way because the perp has rights you know? the right to rip the kid apart on the stand to try to make it seem like the kid did something wrong . to make the kid say all the horrible things that happened ,all of that sucks but its not the worst part of it ,ask the kid in the michael jackson trial what sucked the most. they let the guilty bastard go ,or in my case gave him a deal ,thats what sucks the most for the kid. trish know what the most acceptd sentence for deliberate attempted murder is ? 7 years ,ask my cousin . i do have a solution to the mandatory setencing problem ,but nobody wants to hear it .

#139054 - 01/26/07 02:10 AM Re: Mandatory Prison Sentences? - possible triggers [Re: shadowkid]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
To quote an article in terms of how to treat an offender:

The other point I always bring up in lectures I do is to dispel the notion that a "sex offender" can never change..or that he or she will need years of therapy to change...It is similar to drunk driving...if a man grew up in an alcoholic home, began using alcohol in 6th grade, had numerous MIP's as a teen..drank all through college..drove drunk hundreds of times, then, at age 34, he gets charged with DUI...the shame from the arrest, involvement with court, having license suspended for 90 days, and going to a weekend driver education class, will not be enough to sway this man from drinking. However, if we take another person that grew up in a healthy family system with no alcoholism or drug abuse, experimented with booze as a teen and young man, then drank responsibly as an adult, and at 34, drives home from a birthday party that was at a bar, and was pulled over. The shame from the experience, fear of the consequences, involvement with court, paying thousands of dollars, etc., is likely going to be enough to correct his behavior without him going to substance abuse therapy for 3 years...The same is true with sexual crimes. If a person grew up in a sexually abusive home or highly sexualized home, demonstrated compulsive sexual behaviors as a teen and adult, a fixation of children, and then gets reported at age 30...this man will need extensive therapy and the fear and shame from his involvement with the court will not be enough to change his behavior. The point really is that the courts have to do a better job of assessing each person who is charged with a sexual crime. Michigan simply lumps them all together.

I don't know what to do I just thought I would bring this up. I got the article here: http://www.angelfire.com/mi/collateral/page3.html

If a guy who's 19 sleeps with a 16yo and it's consensual, should he get 25 years? Think about that. I'm with Trish on this. BUT, prisons SHOULD NOT BE LETTING OUT PERPS to make room for pot smokers and non-violent drug dealers! (which happens all the time, I will site sources if you wish)

Example? Ok, I'm only going by memory, but I will find the article if you insist. A guy gets sentenced for 25 years for bashing his ex-girlfriend in the head and killing her, he gets out in 8 years on parole. On the very same date that this guy gets sentenced for KILLING SOMEONE, an unknowing passenger, in a car gets a MANDATORY sentence of 15 years with no possible parole for drug trafficking. (she was an unknowing passenger in a drug car crossing the border into the U.S. and the DA in that case even acknowledged that she didn't know what was in the car). Now, one crime was a crime with a VICTIM, the other crime was a stupid crime against the STATE, this was a travesty of justice in the purist sense.

But hey, we have to make room for those "dangerous" felons don't we?

I have been an armature student of politics and social issues for 20 years and the only thing I know for SURE is that if someone HURTS someone the should be punished accordingly, if they merely defy the stupid non-violent laws against the state, they should serve LESS time, not MORE time!

If you don't think perps are getting out of prison early to make room for "dangerous" people like pot smokers and non-violent drug dealers, look again.

#139068 - 01/26/07 05:40 AM Re: Mandatory Prison Sentences? - possible triggers [Re: Hauser]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Let us first look at the consequences of doing it.
Some of us may not be here to tell the story, it
would lead to more being killed to shut them up.
It would also lead to more serious threats to keep
kids from telling.

It is a grave offence, but there are different levels
of child abuse, many of them, and some so heinous as
to warrant that long in jail, but at the end of the
day, the Government and not the judges will judge them.

Kids would be loathe to take a guardian or family
friend to Court knowing their 'loved' one will
suffer so harshly, as kids are more empathic than
adults.

Leave judging to the judges,

ste

#139453 - 01/29/07 09:21 PM Re: Mandatory Prison Sentences? - possible triggers [Re: reality2k4]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Here is an absolutely perfect example of why mandatory sentences don't work.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16862643/

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.