Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
4 registered (finallyhere, OKIE MIKE, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443343 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#139452 - 01/29/07 09:17 PM Betrayal Trauma the book
indygal Offline

this book is just so incredible - wow - it's by Jennifer J. Freyd, and from the very start she emphasizes this is a book about memory, not sexual abuse.

with that said, she goes on to discuss her theory of how memories are processed, learned, encoded, and remembered in the future and how this entire procedure is effected by different traumas, especially childhood sexual abuse.

this is not an easy read; both for the case histories she recites as well as the many analyses she does, complete with numbers and a biblography.

however, it is written for virtually everyone; suvivors, partners, therapists, other interested parties.

she makes her points in a very logical and methodical way; she explains her theory about betrayal - such as when a parent abuses a child - and how it effects memories on a cognitive level, explaining even such difficult concepts as dissociation and out of body experiences.

she even explains how and why therapy can (or sometimes cannot and does not) help a survivor; as well as why disclosure can be so difficult simply from a cognitive level.

if you are a person who needs to know why something is the way it is, or why someone is the way they are, this explains a great deal in a manner that is all encompassing, that is, she starts from the very basics of how memory is formed, the event and how it may effect that memory and then how in the future how the person's mind would retrieve the memory (or not).

personally, understanding the why's of a situation is critical in my decision making process of how i will react. if you have a lot of unanswered questions about csa, you might want to read this book.

indy

#139459 - 01/29/07 09:52 PM Re: Betrayal Trauma the book [Re: indygal]
sweet-n-sour Offline

Loc: chicago
Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll have to check it out...I'm always seeking to learn more.
Best Wishes,
s-n-s

cm 2007

#243568 - 08/09/08 07:59 PM Re: Betrayal Trauma the book [Re: sweet-n-sour]
indygal Offline

bump

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.