Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
3 registered (96789594, pattom, 1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63230 Topics
442163 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#139386 - 01/29/07 01:36 AM Shards of glass. TRIGGERS!!!
GWsurvives Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Atlanta, and here, among othe...
This was written by my friend and fellow "Penquin", "Faith", a truly beautiful person. I post it with her consent.

Shards of Glass
By Faith

Child abuse is like shards of glass that penetrate your body. A childhood of abuse is like being forced to run barefoot across a field filled with shards of glass. The farther you are forced to run, the more glass cuts into your feet, cutting your body, soul, and spirit.

When you finally leave the field, you just want to fit in with the people around you. You repress the pain of the glass in your feet, but the glass still affects your steps. You marvel at how others can dance with ease while you always feel crippled, but you aren't sure why.

Eventually, the pain from the glass becomes too great, and your body is ready to heal. One shard starts to come out, and you see a memory for the first time. You cannot believe that there is glass coming out of your foot, and the pain involved in removing the glass is immense. But, after you remove the shard and examine it, that hole in your foot begins to heal, and you realize that the appearance of the shard was really a good thing. You hope that there are no more shards, but you still don't walk well.

Another shard starts to come out -- then another and another and another. Each one brings its own individual pain. Some are small and can be removed quickly. Others are large and deep, so they must be removed slowly, or you will faint from the pain. Still others are so large and deep that they break off inside of your foot, so you have to remove several smaller pieces before the one wound can heal.

It is enormously painful to remove all of the glass, but, little by little, your walk gets easier. When you are finally finished removing all of the glass, you are healed, but your foot is covered with scars. You will never be like those who have always danced with ease. But your scars are proof that your path has been much harder than most, and you know that you can walk through ANYTHING because your tender feet have already endured hell.

And, when you finally do learn to dance, your dance is more beautiful than you ever thought possible. You glide across the dance floor with an ease that your once-wounded feet never imagined. People marvel at your dance, but only a trusted few are invited to see the scars. Those who see the scars stand in awe that feet that were once so broken can now glide. Only a trusted few will ever know the true beauty that they behold when they see the once wounded feet dance.

Edited by GWsurvives (01/30/07 10:17 AM)

#139457 - 01/29/07 09:45 PM Re: Shards of glass. TRIGGERS!!! [Re: GWsurvives]
Derdlecar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ogden Utah, USA
I cried when I read this. Thanks for posting it GW and tell Faith thanks too.

Love ya
Darrel

#139466 - 01/29/07 10:25 PM Re: Shards of glass. TRIGGERS!!! [Re: Derdlecar]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
That is beautiful.

I imagined the glass coming out of the foot, how horrifying that appears too. Looking right at the pain of a certain issue can be horrifying.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#139468 - 01/29/07 10:32 PM Re: Shards of glass. TRIGGERS!!! [Re: FormerTexan]
batcountry Offline

Loc: the ether
wow that is a really good way to put it. i think it is helping me kind of see this in a different way. thanks a lot for this, GW and faith... seriously!!!

#139587 - 01/30/07 10:03 AM Re: Shards of glass. TRIGGERS!!! [Re: batcountry]
GWsurvives Offline
MaleSurvivor

I read this every day, and every time I read it I cry. Sometimes.. I sob... This story reaches right to my soul. It feels so much like me. "Faith" gave me my penquin, also. Did you see "March of the Penquins"? When the storm is at it's worse.. the penguins huddle together. They take turns comforting each other. When one needs more warmth, he moves to the middle of the huddle. Each penguin taking the comfort they need, giving the comfort they can.

#140355 - 02/05/07 02:26 AM Re: Shards of glass. TRIGGERS!!! [Re: GWsurvives]
pietie Offline

Loc: South Africa
Thanks for posting this. It means so much when looking at it from this perspective. I do not think I will ever look at a shard of glass the same.

I think I will put a shard of glass in my office somewhere to remind me that all of them will eventually come out and I will be able to dance freely.

Thanx again.

#143110 - 02/24/07 10:59 PM Re: Shards of glass. TRIGGERS!!! [Re: pietie]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Thank you for sharing this GW. Perhaps I should read this every day.

#144408 - 03/07/07 07:29 PM Re: Shards of glass. TRIGGERS!!! [Re: Hauser]
philobat Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Hey GW!

When you paraphrased this poem in our group at Four Springs, we all lost it emotionally. In that moment was my first real tear and healing cry. Until that moment I could not cry for my inner child. Sometimes if the movie is sad I could tear up. I cried once in jail- not a lot- but mostly because I was scared of being locked-up.

Tears for me had always been elusive, rare and never for my own pain or the pain of a brother. I desperately needed to connect to those tears and wails and allow them to be witnessed.

There are not enough words to express my gratitude for your generous gift-giving. You are an amazing and inspiring work of art.

I can't wait for you to come here and visit.

I love you, my brother

-Darrell

#215531 - 04/05/08 09:30 AM Re: Shards of glass. TRIGGERS!!! [Re: philobat]
GWsurvives Offline
MaleSurvivor

I read this to myself on occasion, not as often as I once did, but it still has so much meaning for me.

GW

#215593 - 04/05/08 01:54 PM Re: Shards of glass. TRIGGERS!!! [Re: GWsurvives]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
GW, Faith this is beautifully de>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.