Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
4 registered (tbkkfile, 3 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447590 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#138871 - 01/24/07 05:18 PM Film's child rape scene causes stir
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
People are very uncomfortable with the idea of Children being raped. But it happens all the time and as long as people continue to make it a subject that isn't talked about, victims will live in shame.

Full Article from the Houston Chronicle **Article could be triggering**

Quote:
PARK CITY, Utah: At a festival that features several films with sexual content, including full male nudity and a documentary about bestiality, a southern Gothic tale that includes the rape of a young girl is causing the biggest stir....

Even before the first screening of "Hounddog" at the Sundance Film Festival this week, a Christian film critic, citing Fanning's age, decried the movie as child abuse, and Roman Catholic activist Bill Donohue called for a boycott.

The disturbing scene lasts a few minutes but is not graphic. There is no nudity, the scene is very darkly lit and only Fanning's face and hand are shown.

Kampmeier said it took her a decade to get the film made, largely because of the rape scene, but cutting it was a compromise she was unwilling to make.

"This issue is so silenced in our society. There are a lot of women who are alone with this story," she said.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#138882 - 01/24/07 06:28 PM Re: Film's child rape scene causes stir [Re: onlyakid]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
I read about it this afternoon. I don't know anything about the movie, so I can't offer an opinion as to whether this controversial scene fits and is appropriate to the film or not. My only opinion, based only on the director's words, is that, yeah, the scene is beyond disturbing, but so is real life, so it does exactly what she set out to do - disturb. The people who are screaming about it are right wing religious zealots who prefer to sweep things like child abuse and csa under the rug, unless is suits their agenda that is. Therefore, I pay them no mind.

ROCK ON.......Trish

#138977 - 01/25/07 10:00 AM Re: Film's child rape scene causes stir [Re: Trish4850]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
A Sundance Film Festival screening of harrowing new child abuse movie AN AMERICAN CRIME turned chaotic yesterday (23JAN07) when an audience member had a seizure. Paramedics were called to the cinema after the film was disrupted by screams, and removed the unnamed person, who is reportedly recovering at a nearby hospital. It is not known if violent scenes recounting the real-life tale of child abuse triggered the seizure. One audience member says, "It was chaos. The film was very tough to watch and then there was all this screaming and people just ignored the rest of the film."

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.