Newest Members
Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive, BCtejas
12495 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
8 registered (dew, BuffaloCO, myrlin, Daryl X., 3 invisible), 24 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12495 Members
74 Forums
64162 Topics
447749 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#13584 - 01/20/04 07:17 PM Trigeminal Neuralgia / Prozac ???
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Has anyone else here any experience of Trigeminal Neuralgia ? ( AKA Cluster headache - migraneous neuralgia - suicide headache - tic douloureux )
Here's a de>

#13585 - 01/20/04 08:00 PM Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia / Prozac ???
FlyWM Offline

Loc: Michigan
I am sorry you have suffered from TN, I have never heard of it, so I do not have any advice there.

I was on Prozac for awhile, and that increased my anxiety and panic quite a bit so the doctor switched me to Lexapro and Remeron, I'm afraid I have not heard of the other medicine, but I hope it helps you.

scott

Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible in not a declaration, it's a dare.

--Adidas

#13586 - 01/20/04 08:48 PM Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia / Prozac ???
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
LLoydy,
I struggle with headaches and migraine headaches. Thankfully since Christmas, things have quieted down for me but I know the pain of these headaches.

Prozac was an medication that while it worked had serious side effects like headaches and anxiety. I'm not a person that needs even a tenth of an ounce more of anxiety. So I had to stop taking it as prozac while supposed to be one of the more "friendly" medications, was not nice to me.

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#13587 - 01/21/04 02:31 AM Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia / Prozac ???
Andrew Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Hi Dave, I took Prozac in the mid 1990s. Some of the side effects were: back spasms & pain, jaw clenching, weight loss (good thing), decreased libido and difficulty in getting and maintaining erections. The positives were I was able to put things into perspective more easily, better able to concentrate on tasks, less likely to fly off the handle, enabled me to be more creative in writing and playing music.
Peace, Andrew

#13588 - 01/21/04 10:35 PM Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia / Prozac ???
Thomas Offline

Loc: boise
Dave,

Boy, do I feel for and with you--been there, done that!! I've suffered from migraines for most of my life (since 7th grade). The semester I was due to graduate from college I was laid prostrate with a savage series of cluster headaches. This was back in 1975. The treatment then was to put me on a tricyclic antidepressant. They lessened over a period of eighteen months but never went away entirely. At the end of that time I quit taking the antidepressant. Afterwards I could count on at least three attacks a month. That is, until three years ago.

At the end of 2000, I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder type II. I began taking Paxil and Depakote. The Paxil was later changed to Prozac. The last time I had a headache attack was over a year and a half ago. I don't know what to say; my experience with meds has been uniformly beneficial.

Tom

#13589 - 01/22/04 10:52 AM Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia / Prozac ???
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Thomas
thanks for the reply, I've just given the Prozac the boot ! boy, did they disagree with me.
I was having the most severe panic attacks I've ever known, and twice as many as ever before.
I stopped the Prozac on Sunday and haven't had one panic attack since.
I was also very confused and lacked concentration.
I got the adverse reaction to Prozac instantly, but none of the benefits at all.
Not a good thing.

Since monday I've been on Lofepramine, which is a trycyclic. And so far I haven't had any adverse side effects. Although the T.N. attacks are still happening. But whether they will ease off with the pills I don't know, it's a bit early to tell.

It's a bit confusing knowing what affects the depression has on the T.N. and what effects the tricyclics have on both the T.N. and the depression ? Maybe the depression is causing the T.N. ?

Do you think you might have been depressed when your clusters were happening ?

Dave

#13590 - 01/23/04 03:39 PM Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia / Prozac ???
Thomas Offline

Loc: boise
Dave,

I'm convinced that I was depressed when the clusters hit. Of course, at the time I didn't think so, but responding to the antidepressant like I did is a pretty indication that I was. But it also took eighteen months to get them under control. That was a lo-o-o-ng eighteen months.

Tom

#13591 - 01/23/04 07:33 PM Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia / Prozac ???
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Tom
thanks, that's got me thinking about the cause.

I'll have to check my medical records with the doc' to find the dates, but I have a feeling they match up with what I suspect.

Dave

#13592 - 01/24/04 08:56 PM Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia / Prozac ???
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
Dave ... not had any prediction drugs yet...stick with the Cabernet Sauvignon & Garlic at the moment.

I do get headaches (or heedakes as they may call them a little further north)from time to time. Sometimes it's just pure stress, other times it's lack of solids & too much caffeine. Feels like someone has drilled to the centre of my head and started lipo through a fine (thin)tube....also get blurred vision when this occurs. I usually drink water first to dilute whatever is in my sytem, or alternatively to rehydrate.

Don't know if it's your pre>

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.