Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
2 registered (matt123, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64018 Topics
446772 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#135029 - 02/05/06 07:49 AM Query on intestinal health
BJH Offline

Loc: Washington
I am not sure if this is an odd question. (I married a Survivor, knowing many issues will still come up as we both deal with our own and each other's issues as we both were molested by step-fathers.)
I was wondering if anyone has information on Adult Male Survivors of rape and intestinal issues later in life. I am concerned for my husbands health, however it is difficult to talk to him about his intestinal issues and I was wondering if it's common, or if I should push harder for him to see an interologist.

#135030 - 02/06/06 03:54 PM Re: Query on intestinal health
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
I don’t know what offical scientific studies have to say, but I can tell you there was a thread on the discussion board where we discussed the ‘unofficial’ symptoms that we shared and stomach issues came up a lot.

You can see it here .

Hope that helps.

#135031 - 02/06/06 05:03 PM Re: Query on intestinal health
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
BJH,

My b/f suffers severe intenstinal issues. On a site I checked out several months ago, one of the common physical symptoms listed for male survivors of sexual abuse was bowel incontinence. My b/f has had many tests to find out if there is a physical reason for his constant diarrhea, but nothing has been diagnosed. The poor guys lives on imodium.

Considering that stress and anxiety are one of the many causes of intestinal problems, the fact that our partners, who are always dealing with the stress and anxiety of csa, suffer is not surprising at all.

ROCK ON.....Trish

#135032 - 02/12/06 01:46 PM Re: Query on intestinal health
Grandad Offline

Loc: NC
I suffer from diarrhea a lot too. I have it during periods of great stress and an imodium never fails to help.
The diarrhea could be psychosomatic in nature like you said. In that case therapy and probably stress reduction techniques could be useful remedies.
Otherwise I would advise you to see your primary care physician or a gastroenterologist. Your BF might need to have his stool examined in the lab or he may need to have a colonoscopy done just to make sure everything is indeed doing fine in his gastrointestinal system.
Have you considered checking his food intake. Some people are lactose intolerant while other foods just give people the trots.
Hope that was helpful
John

#135033 - 02/12/06 04:20 PM Re: Query on intestinal health
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
My own abuse history was so long ago (ended 1963) that my doctor feels that if I had any real intestinal problems - like damage to rectal wall or whatever - it would have come up long before now. Otherwisw I guess it's not a bad idea to have this checked out.

I get diarrhea from time to time, but I think it's stress-related or comes from eating unfamiliar food, especially fiery hot food. I.e. mine doesn't seem to be specific to abuse problems.

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#135034 - 02/12/06 05:49 PM Re: Query on intestinal health
BJH Offline

Loc: Washington
Thanks for information =) At this point, my husband is in the Army and I have no access to his diet... But the few times he's home he is ecstatic that I cook for him. I doubt I could get him to talk to a doctor at this time - he'd have to see an Army Dr and it would be put in his file and he wouldn't want that - but if I don't see improvements three years from now then I'll push for the Dr/interologist visit. In the mean time, we'll try for stress reduction ;-) (Then again, I never would have thought to recommend Immodium...)
Thanks again! ~B

#135035 - 02/15/06 09:14 PM Re: Query on intestinal health
applefish Offline

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
I have suffered from stomach/ulcer problems my whole life and strongly beleive it is because of the abuse. I know that my stomach gets way worse when stressed. But a lot of it changed years ago when I saw a naturopath. I found the medical comunity in general really didn't know how to deal with these issues at all, and were of no help to me - their best advice was eat more bran. But through my naturopath I learned how to deal with my stomach and digestive issues a lot better. The problem is that I very addicted to sugar and cafeine which really trigger these stomach problems and also a trigger for the emotional issues. I know that ultimatelly these ailments source is the abuse but I beleive that taking extra care of your health makes my life easier. I also try to eat healthy - low acidic foods such as fresh vegetables and avoiding processed food. For me the big stumbling block is the sugar and cafeine. I know I turn to these foods to self medicate and they fill a sense of loneliness and emptyness I seem to constantly carry with me.
I hope that helps,
Apf

#135036 - 03/15/06 01:20 AM Re: Query on intestinal health
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
I have reflux, and a hiatal hernia. I am on the verge of Barrets Esophagus. I know that I started having problems with this right after the molestation, I would not go to the bathroom (bowel) for some reason and I began having problems. I am now 40 and I take meds and it seems to help but my stomach still bothers me when I get stressed. I hope this helps,

#135037 - 04/09/06 02:33 AM Re: Query on intestinal health
lostcowboy Offline

Loc: North Texas
Hi, could this be a yeast related problem? There are a number of books and web sites that talk about yeast, and the vast number of seemingly unrelated diseases that it causes. I just started on DanActive and Activia . I am not promoting them, just they were the only brands in my local grocery store. On the DanActive web site they talk about how 70% of the immune system is in the digestive tract. I missed this dannon site last night. Read it also Dannon Probiotics Center

Last night I was looking all this up and somewhere came across a new word Kefir, Kefir is a type of fermented milk, a very old type. You should be able to find it in health stores. You should be able to find starter kits there, and on the net, if you want to make your own. However, as the night wore on, I found web sites that said that these starter kits were not the real Kefir Grains, that due to the laws in the US and other places the real Kefir Grains could not be sold. So all I know about Kefir is what I read last night. Here are some web sites.

Body Ecology Diet They also have this web site, Kefir.net You can buy starter kit from them. Keep in mind that every so often you have to buy new starter kits, as it wears out.
You can buy this brand in health food stores. Helios Nutrition Both starter and commercial products have about six individual strains in them.
Fermenting procedure for Kefir drink

This leads us to Wild Kefir, or the original stuff, which has about 30 individual strains in them.
What you want to know about Kefir, but were afraid to ask!

How to get your hands on real Kefir Grains Kefir Grains list

Take care,
Lostcowboy

#135038 - 04/09/06 02:55 PM Re: Query on intestinal health
al Offline

Loc: canada
Hiya. Not sure it helps to say this but i have allot of stomach problems. I have Crohns disease which is an inflammatory bowel disease. I've had surgeries to take out intestine sections because they were to scarred to let anything go thru anymore.

Stress is the biggest reason it gets bad but also because i have to take allot of medications. Sometimes certain foods make it bad, usually lactose. I have to watch what i eat, i cant have seeds (like in a tomato) strings ( like in celery) or skins like an apple).

I take a couple of different kinds of meds for this. One is loperimide (immodium) plus i also take lomotil which slows slows down digestion. I get both by pre>

Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it. Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.