Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63415 Topics
443365 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#134995 - 09/09/05 04:05 AM choosing a primary care physician
cpt. confusion Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: midwest
well.. how do you do it?? I mean, there are so many different types of doctors out there, which is probably the "best" type to choose to go to for general advice? I know there are general practitioners, and family practice doctors, but are these better than internal medicine docs? or is there another type that works better? I've never really had a PCP before, at least not since my pediatrician, and now I recently started a new job, with really great benefits, and since I havent really been to a real doctor in several years, i figure now would probably a good time to change that. so... i need some help on starting. any advice would be helpful. Thanks guys \:\)

-nick

*WoR Alum
Sequoia I-March '11
Alta II, September '11

#134996 - 09/09/05 05:36 AM Re: choosing a primary care physician
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think the most important thing is whether or not you are comfortable with the doctor. If you can't tell him/her everything that is at issue, they can't treat you effectively.

Another thing I would look for is a younger doctor. Older doctors have more experience, true, but they tend to be behind on the latest treatments and knowledge, at least in my experience.

#134997 - 09/09/05 09:46 PM Re: choosing a primary care physician
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Nick,

Some of the guys here have said that once they have found a doctor with whom they can talk and feel comfortable...well, relatively comfortable, most of us can be nervous when going to the doctor, no matter how good he is...you might tell him that you were sexually abused as a child and that you would appreciate his sensitivity. Most good doctors are sensitive to their patients having to remove their clothes, prostate and gentital exams and other personal information gathering. And, since, theirs is the profession that sees most of the results of abuse, most of them are sensitive to any request for consideration involving former abuse.

My wife always reminds me...in her attempt to tell me I don't have anything to worry about...that, "no sweat," she says, I didn't have to have a pelvic exam like the gals have to go through.

I ran into some difficulty with GP docs as they can be busy with baby deliveries which can screw up one's appointment schedule. I waited for one for an hour and a half. He sure didn't need my business. I found my current doc after that experience.

Sorry to go on so long, it's a subject important to me. I've got to have understanding doctors.

David

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.