Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 36 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63111 Topics
441339 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#134979 - 08/27/05 09:33 AM Alcohol stop?
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

I would like to ask what people know about 'programs' of alcohol of a stop? I do not think, that I - as they speak 'alcoholic'. I do not drink even in this case frequently now, and other night when I do, it - first time in four or five weeks. But, it disturbs me, that still, it is something, that I 'use' for when I am concerned. I see my father, that alcohol doesby him. I think, actually, alcohol will not make to you abuser or to mean, whether you are that way to nature. But, with him, I do not know, whether I hate him or have pitied him. I only am confident my fear concerning him. I do not wish to resemble it in general. And also, I like to be very much ' in the control ' at least mentally me directly. Alcohol takes it from me, and it - not what I wish when I drink. I am not confident concerning it, that I ask here. It - something, that gives me the anxiety. What it, if who - or still ever has it as a problem, by which you do to correct it? Thanks.

VN

#134980 - 08/27/05 11:51 AM Re: Alcohol stop?
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

VN,

I myself have similar concerns.

Alcohol does different things to different people. Some people become mean, and others happy. One does not have to drink every day to be an alcoholic.

I do not drink on a regular basis, but when I do it is more than I should. I don't buy alcohol for my home any longer. This is the only way I can be certain that my drinking does not get out of control.

I do not know where you are located, but there are programs out there to help you. I have had a good experience with Alcoholics Anonymous and Alanon (for people around alcoholics and other drug abusers) both. Some other people will say that they had bad experiences. The only way to know is to find a group and go.

#134981 - 08/27/05 04:45 PM Re: Alcohol stop?
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

VN,

You are doing one of the most important things that you can do, no matter what group you become part of, for fighting the good fight against the abuse of alcohol. What you are doing that is so positive is reconizing that you want to do something about how you use alcohol.
I come from a family of alcoholics. My grandfather, who drank too much, came home to beat everyone up, and my mother, brought her reactions to his beatings into our immediate family. My sister could not control her drinking and had to abstain completely. I can tell when I've had too much and it is frightening, so I don't go there anymore. What has worked for me is to be the designated driver, one drink before dinner, and at least an hour an a half before I take everyone home.
Now, if I could control my eating, I would really be in control.
There are those here who have had great results with AA, I'm sure you'll hear from them. What ever you do, know that you've passed the first major hurdle...knowing that you have a problem and wanting to do something about it.
Oh, ya, one more thing, it isn't the fact THAT you drink, it's why you drink that's important and you're already working on that.

Good luck, strength and courage,

David

#134982 - 08/27/05 06:01 PM Re: Alcohol stop?
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
I would say that if you are asking if you should stop... then you already know the answer.

#134983 - 09/05/05 01:08 PM Re: Alcohol stop?
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Hi Vitaliy -

I spoke with a therapist recently -
I had had a very frustrating day - and I ended up having a beer -

and then I told him that I think it was not a good thing -

He spoke of the nature of alcohol -
That it is ok to drink it sometimes but
it when you are mad or frustrated - acohol

"accelerates" your anger -

so in my case I did get a bit more aware of this and how hard it was for me
- as we spoke of the things that happened over that afternoonI looked back and -
saw how hard it was to separate my anger recognize that others were not - I was very intense - and it was a bad thing - I felt like a shit head - but I was a little argumentative that is all - but - I knew was fighting myself -

anyway - I have lots of work to do stil -
my therapist said though goals in therapy are important -

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#134984 - 09/05/05 01:10 PM Re: Alcohol stop?
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
sorry for the bad spelling -
this is really a big prob for me - I get so excited to write and post -lol- true - well and impatient - i can edite - but i don't like it -

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.