Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443354 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#134903 - 07/07/05 10:20 PM Smoking........
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Hands up all smokers.

That's me for a start. \:\(

And I need to give up - again.

I started smoking at the time my abuse started at 11, it's natural to have a smoke after sex isn't it? :rolleyes:

Since then I have smoked more or less continuously except for about 8 years. Then I started on small cigars about 5 years ago and now smoke about 8 or 10 a day, although at weekends and in the evenings I rarely smoke and can go for hours without.

I think my smoking is more 'event' based than addicted, when I come to a natural pause in my job I smoke, stop for coffee - I smoke. It's as though I look for a reason to light up.

But I need to give up!

Dave

#134904 - 07/08/05 03:52 AM Re: Smoking........
Grobut Offline

Loc: Denmark
Who me!? *puff* *puff*

Aye, me too.

Of all my unhealthy habits, most of which i have either quit or atleast toned down to an acceptable level, the smoking is still with me in full force, its just so hard to quit! grrr..

#134905 - 07/08/05 06:27 AM Re: Smoking........
BT Offline

Loc: Chicago IL
I am proud of myself and all I have accomplished in changing and improving my lifestyle the last few years...

But those damn smokes...still have me...

I started in college and finally after I had been married about four years I quit....

The day my wife told me I wanted a divorce, i bought two bottles of wine and a pack of smokes...

And haven't quit since....

I have been working on figuring out what I need to do to quit again and make it the last time...

One of the most interesting things I have figured out is that I have always used smoking as a way to be alone and get away from everyone. I was never one to go with the smokers to smoke or other social times...

I allways go off by myself... I think there have been a lot of reasons for my doing this, but am learning that i don't need to smoke to be alone...

Sounds a lot simpler than it is...

and that "just one more" line of thought is pretty darn powerful...

Any successful quitters... any suggestions greatly appreciated...

brent.

#134906 - 07/08/05 02:48 PM Re: Smoking........
Rustam Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Ashamed as I am to say it I still smoke, lots, started when I was 13 stealing my dads. I have given up twice for periods of three years. I hope to give up again for good, soon; I just keep putting it off. I used to like the idea that smoking might shorten my life, but thatís no longer the case.
Peter

#134907 - 07/09/05 12:52 PM Re: Smoking........
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Smoking is my scourge too, I started at 21yo, when i felt so low.

I really do think it is a filthy habit, yes, I hope I can stop it.

I suppose it is the child and dummy effect, a pacifier,

ste

#134908 - 07/09/05 02:22 PM Re: Smoking........
sophiesdad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
I started smoking when I was about 17YO. One time, many years ago I had quit for 8 1/2 years. Then, I went to Europe for the first time and felt like an alcoholic at a bar. Everyone was smoking (England) and it drove me nuts. One day my wife and our friend went shopping at Knightsbridge and I was left home alone. I walked down to the corner store and bought a 1/2 pack of Marlboro lights (this was about 10 years ago and cigarettes were $4/pack THEN). I smoked the whole bloody thing in 3 hours! Then I was back to it full force at about a pack per day.

On December 27th, my wife's mother died from advanced emphysema complications. She was 40 days in the hospital and I watched as she laid there in agony unable to breathe. I watched as this woman who, at 85 years old, used to run circles around me as far as energy was concerned. The woman was unstoppable. As soon as they put her on O2, she started to deteriorate FAST. Her weight dropped to 85 pounds and she was too weak to even get up and sit in a chair. It was a bittersweet moment when we got "the call" from the hospital.... we were glad that she was out of her suffering - besides that, they had found a cancerous tumor on one lung.

In the meantime, my shrink had started me on Wellbutrin about 8 months earlier. This is the same medication that is in Zyban - the smoking cessation>

#134909 - 07/09/05 11:47 PM Re: Smoking........
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Three people I know have been to a hypnotist, with great success.

I'll make an appointment - soon.........

Dave

#134910 - 07/10/05 02:03 AM Re: Smoking........
dwf Offline
Moderator/BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
I quit (for the second time) about 10 years ago.

A guy I know gave me a bit of advice that was very helpful, so I'll try to pass it on.

What he shared that worked for him was to focus on the emotional content of the whole smoking thing.

For example, realizing that smoking surrounds us with a cloud of toxic smoke and gases, that is a very good way to keep others away from us. Why would we need that emotionally?

Another thought, holding a lighted, burning object in your hand in front of you might be a deterrent to someone approaching you. It might accidentally harm someone by burning them, like a child or your partner. Why would needing that type of defensive barrier be so important to you that you would risk hurting someone you love?

I could go on, but maybe you get the idea. And it's not that there are Yes of No answers to these questions.

The point is to engage the mind and spirit in an examination of the emotional needs that are being fulfilled by smoking.

That turns our thoughts from smoking the cigarette to get the immediate gratification to a deeper look at how we might find other ways to fulfil our needs. Or we could even realize that we no longer have those needs any more but are still hanging on to the mechanism, the smoking, out of habit.

Needless to say, smoking is addictive. But as an addictive substance, nicotine has an extremely short half life in the blood stream. It's designed that way to make us want to and feel like we have to have one cigarette after another, even when we really want to quit.

So, in about 24 hours or less, all the nicotine will be out of your system.

It is the emotional need to smoke that will last much longer than that and eventually force us back to smoking.

This approach really worked for me. I noticed that whenever I had a feeling........of any kind....happy, sad, bored, lonely, loving, glad, rejected, drunk, sober....any feeling provoked a strong desire to smoke.

I believe that is because there is such an incredibly strong link between smoking and emotional needs.

I think that we are actually "burning up" our emotions by smoking.....it's a lot easier than having to process them....messy things that they are.

But actually having the feelings has a lot less side effects like lung disease etc.

Hope this helps someone quit. I have also heard a lot of positive results from friends who attended Nicotine Anonymous groups, which use the 12 step methods.

Good luck to all. You'll be happier once you have quit; but you'll probably be unhappy for a while first!!!

Thanks,

Regards,

-Tony Joe White

#134911 - 07/12/05 09:22 PM Re: Smoking........
CFO Dave Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Millis MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Lloydy:
Three people I know have been to a hypnotist, with great success.

I'll make an appointment - soon.........

Dave
I used to say that but then I made the appointment. I haven't smoked in 3 months and I didn't have any cravings or anything. And I smoked a pack or more per day from the time I was 11 until I was 39!

"The soul that is within me no man can degrade."
-Frederick Douglas

#134912 - 07/12/05 09:24 PM Re: Smoking........
CFO Dave Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Millis MA
sorry duplicate post :rolleyes:

"The soul that is within me no man can degrade."
-Frederick Douglas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.