Newest Members
OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843
12365 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
gryffindor (67), KevinSweeney (57), latinflavor815 (52), latin_flavor_815 (52), RTMark (33), sabooka (35), southpaw10 (46)
Who's Online
5 registered (YYZGIRL, 4 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12365 Members
74 Forums
63552 Topics
444012 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134894 - 07/07/05 09:49 PM Healthy eating
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
It is so nice to have a new topical forum such as this.

I try to maintain a healthy diet, by eating fresh fruit and vegables, and I am a good cook, so I do not rely on prepack or junk foods.

I always remember when I drove a truck around, delivering vegatables to schools.

One of the schools had ordered things like cabbages and cauliflowers etc., and I asked the cook why is this?

I said that most schools do not use these vegatables, and she said, that they get the kids to eat proper food.

Hmmm...bet they were clever kids, that emerge from that school.

ste

#134895 - 07/08/05 03:57 AM Re: Healthy eating
Grobut Offline

Loc: Denmark
I've started doing that myself, as a kid i allways found compfort in candy and unhealthy food, which made me rather.. shall we say, plump?

Now i just dont buy any of that crap anymore, because i know once i open a bag of chips im gonna eat the whole thing.. and i dont want that, i eat my greens, i cook the fat out of my meet, and i dont use sauce or oil, and you know, it feels damn good!

#134896 - 07/09/05 06:46 AM Re: Healthy eating
Willy Offline

Loc: Illinois
Its great to see this topic added.

Eating healthy can be hard at times, at least for me it has been. I have a busy schedule and many times I need to eat out, which is not the best way to be healthy.

And exercise is also key in being healthy.

Honestly, it all boils down to wanting to do it, pushing yourself a bit to changing some of your bad habits and pretty soon it becomes a lifestyle.

All of the sudden, you get a certain level of joy and satisfaction from eating healthy and frequent exercise.

But its easier said than done. :-)

#134897 - 07/09/05 12:48 PM Re: Healthy eating
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think, that if we do not eat healthy, then we will not have the strength to heal.

A healthy body leads to a healthier mind.

You need to push yourself towards eating better things, and looking after your body.

I am not so young, so I push myself to do this, and I very rarely eat pre-cooked stuff.

Exercise too, is an important factor,

ste

#134898 - 07/10/05 11:32 AM Re: Healthy eating
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

It is nice, to see here new topic area. I think it most importent, to discuss physical health also, it seems very closely combined to emotional.

I have health problem since I am most young, five or six years age, of rhumatic arthritis. I find that how it is I eat can cause more difficulty of it. I can not eat so much animal foods, or caffeine, salt, sugar, 'junk' like foods. Also, iron seem to effect me. If I eat to much food that is high in iron at same time, I will have more pain for day or two. There is seven 'natural' medicines I take every day, and also regular vitamins. Until the last year, it has been kept quite controlled. But the last 10 or 12 months, there has been more issue of pain and being 'stiff' in joints. I do not wish to take regular medicines, but perhaps it is coming to that time.

And of course, I must choose sport for occupation. It is ironical, I guess. But exercise do seem to help, both body and mind.

VN

#134899 - 07/10/05 08:49 PM Re: Healthy eating
Don-NY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Long Island, NY
Healthy eating has always been a challenge for me. Actually, the challenge was eating enough. I've been [skinny, lean, thin], my whole life.

I learned by five or 6 that refusing food was a powerful way to get attention, and I suppose, some control as well. So that was a kind of bad start I guess.

It all worked out, in some ways very well, diet-wise, and I'm still LEAN today, and pretty damn fit - actually better now that ever before.

I just want to share two bits of advice.

The first comes from my grandfather, who I shall add, was also lean and strong, until a stroke weakened him at age 81.
Quote:
Always get up from the table while you're still a little hungry.
The second comes from observation and research. I won't go into the bio-chemistry behind this advice, it's long and complicated, but trust me, this is VERY important.

Do not consume High Fructose Corn Syrup.

This will take a great deal of discipline. This "natural" sweetener was introduced to the American food supply about thirty years ago, in soft drinks at first, but has become ubiquitous.

You can hardly find a sweetened drink that does not contain this product. You are better off consuming any of the artificial sweeteners that HFCS.

It is no coincidence that obesity and Diabetes have become epidemics in the US over those same 30 years.

The research that indicates this product "may be a bad idea", and a "significant public health risk", is ignored. There are social, political, and economic reasons for this; aren't there always?

Do the research on this for youself. This stuff is very unhealthy.

Donald
--------------------------------
You can be Captain of your Ship,
But not of the Sea.

#134900 - 07/10/05 09:14 PM Re: Healthy eating
demonboi Offline

Loc: East Coast
Where I'm at, thats all the give us is healthy food. They watch what we eat and stuff like that. I have yet to eat a whole meal but I'm getting used to the idea of healthy food.

Before I was a drive through kid, it was quick, easy and cheap so it worked for my mom and I. My sister can cook so that was cool.

Has anyone seen SuperSize Me? Man, that movie is crazy. I'm staying away from McDonalds forever.

Every hour, cause it's all good
Leave all the stress from the world outside
Every wrong done will be alright
Nothin but peace, love
And street passion, every ghetto needs a thug mansion

#134901 - 07/10/05 09:14 PM Re: Healthy eating
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Don, do a google on aspartame, and also hydrogenated vegetable fats, that are found in low fat spreads and margarines, they are also in processed foods.

In England, it was found that the healthiest generations were the ones who went through the war years, because they had a frugal diet, but it was enough to get them through.

It is a far cry from today with so much plentiful supply of endulgent foods.

I just tend to believe that we owe it to ourselves to try and keep healthy by diet and exercise,

ste

#134902 - 07/11/05 05:12 AM Re: Healthy eating
BT Offline

Loc: Chicago IL
While I have yet to come close to living this way Jack Lalang said "If man makes it, don't eat it"

I try to eat as natural as I can. For years I did all the low fat, low calorie, low this or that diets...

When I finally quit diets, and started working on nutrition instead, is when i started feeling good and losing weight.

I have a lot of things in my diet now that most people that know me cant believe I eat. For example I use butter, not margerine, I drink whole milk, any meat I want, though try to focus on chicken and fish...and work in as many green vegatables as I can...yuck...

and of course, ice cream....lol..my weakness...

I have told many people that the best thing I ever did was decide I was never going to go on a diet again, and while I was going to work on eating healthy, that I could eat whatever I wanted.

When nothing was off limits, I found it so much easier to make good choices and when I wanted a banana split, well it was my rule, i could eat whatever i wanted.... and over time, i lost about 90 lbs, and have stayed there....

I really believe there is a lot to be said about staying away from additives as much as possible as well as foods that have been overly processed...

The closer to all natural a food is, the better it is for you...IMO.

brent

#295062 - 07/12/09 07:33 PM Re: Healthy eating [Re: BT]
Charlie24 Offline

This is a great topic. I'm a nutrition major at the University I attend.

A very fascinating degree and information to be shared and learned.

For me I am on a restricted diet of no gluten, dairy or soy, I seem to do alright with goats cheese, in moderation so that is good cause I love cheese. It's only a problem if I wanna go out because of cross contamination issues which get in the way a lot. Really bleeping annoying. Oh well, can't have it all.

This has sorta forced me to eat healthier. I've discovered so many vegetables and eating more vegetables in my life than ever before. This is good cause they are important, I actually enjoy eating vegetables, which is good.

I like what Brent had to say. Eating a more basic diet. That is what I try and do. Lean meats, plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables as well.

Luckily thanks to a great many companies food allergies and intolerances are important and great awareness so they make great things that are good knock offs.

My weakness is these gluten, dairy and soy free doughnuts which I love to splurge on occasionally.

A big problem I've learned in my nutrition classes is people try and go on these very restrictive diets of no sugar, no dairy, no gluten, no carbs and then what ends up happenings is your body starts to get these intense cravings, and you try and deny and deny for as long as you can and then you fall on your face and pig out and it becomes a dirty cycle.

It's fine to enjoy a serving of a sweet treat now and then.

Moderation is also key to success. If you enjoy all foods in moderation you tend to do better with diets.

A big problem with the American diet and food companies is people tend to demand cheap and fast and then they deliver.

Our lifestyle plays a big role in that as well. This 24/7 nonstop shit has gotta stop, we gotta slow down and enjoy our food. Get a little exercise on the side.

I love learning about this and can't wait to share my knowledge with others in our world.

Great topic again.

Thanks.

Charles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.