Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (caesar14, kcinohio, 3 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63438 Topics
443458 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132344 - 05/11/06 04:09 PM Frustration...sort of
Bobby Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arizona
I would like to be straight or gay. I don't really care which. I would just like to "be" something. I forget that I'm not. When I was "in the closet" I could never forget. Life was about being "in the closet". It was all about being gay and not having anyone find out that I was gay. But I never had gay sex. Wouldn't you think that, if I was in the closet for 35 years, I'd have ventured out to have sex maybe once? So, now I'm out of the closet. Big deal. I still don't have gay sex. I'm married...and I still enjoy sex with my wife....go figure. So am I bi? No. I'm not bi. This I know. I think I'm a gay man who doesn't have sex with other men and still has sex with his wife and may never have sex with another man. This does not fit any profile that I'm aware of. I am a "mesexual". I am unique.

Now, most days I don't mind being unique. I have settled into a nice little routine which suits me just fine. But then, at work, I will say something that has the word "straight" in it and someone will give me a knowing look or a little wink, and I'll know that I've been categorized one more time. I want to say, "Look, I know you want to squeeze me into your little box that says 'gay', but, really, I don't fit there." But I don't. I just smile at the little joke we share and understand that the really accepting and open person who just winked at me about my homosexuality really isn't as accepting and open as she thinks she is, or she wouldn't have picked up on my saying "straight" and winked at me.

I would really rather be straight. So much easier. No ashamed sisters to deal with. No "supposedly" close friends to lose. No kids to tell you that God has given you a trial and it's up to you to decide how you will deal with this trial. Yeah, I'd rather be straight. But then there are the cute guys. You know, the ones that turn your head? The ones that hit you in your gut before you realize you've been hit? Those guys. I like that. I like that being hit in the gut like that and thinking "Holy shit, was he cute or what?" That's nice. But, at the same time, I know I would never act on those feelings. I know that, if that same cute guy would come over to me and take off all of his clothes and say "Your place or mine?", that I would take off running as fast as I could, like a little boy running to his mother, and only look up when I thought I was safe.

My fantasy life is gay. The guy I am in my fantasies is great. He knows exactly what he wants and goes for it. Only, he's not me....exactly. I don't know who he is, or why he looks at what he does, or needs to look at what he does. But, at least he knows who he is.
If life wasn't so this or that, I'd be fine. I'd just be me, and my sexuality would be mine and I wouldn't be embarrassed or worried or any of that stuff. I'd just have the kind of sexuality I have. I didn't choose it. I didn't pick it out of a list of sexual possibilities. I just have to deal with it.

Even my t won't tell me what I am....just keeps talking about this continuum shit and that I might be here or I might be there and that we aren't even at the same place on the continuum for our whole lives. I think I'm the Fred Astaire of the continuum. I tap dance up and down it daily. I just want it all to stop. I just want my dick to say, "That is what I want, now go out and find me some." not "Well, let me see, I think maybe....no, no, how about....no, not that either...if I weren't so scared, I'd probably...oh, hell, just turn on the computer."

Someday I'd like to sing "I did it my way", but first I've gotta figure out just what "my way" happens to be. Sheesh. Bobby

#132345 - 05/11/06 04:31 PM Re: Frustration...sort of
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

bobby ,how about just being a kind and caring person who always helps anyone he can ,to me its about who you are not what kind of sex you want or dont want ,sex is something we do not who we are ,i think that you are the best bobby possible ,gay or straight who cares ,its bobby that helps me ,its bobby that makes me feel worth it instead of worthless,its bobby who talks to me when all i want to do is curl up and die ,.i like you either way .your friend adam

#132346 - 05/11/06 08:38 PM Re: Frustration...sort of
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Bobby,

I couldn't have said it any better than Adam, so I won't try. I'll just say "see above".

Having just said that, I'd like to add that I know how you feel. You are NOT alone.

Lots of love,

John

#132347 - 05/11/06 11:18 PM Re: Frustration...sort of
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Bobby,

I think society makes many unreasonable demands of people, and this "straight" or "gay" thing is right up there on the list. It's only when we view sexuality as either this or that, as if they are and must be opposites all the time, that these serious problems arise.

You are married and happy being faithful to your wife. You see an attractive guy and he turns your head. Fine. You are Bobby and what else matters?

If you feel confused on this issue, you certainly aren't alone. What separates you out from others is the courage and integrity with which you talk about it.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#132348 - 05/12/06 08:43 AM Re: Frustration...sort of
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Bobby, just consider me the ditto guy today.
Quote:
If you feel confused on this issue, you certainly aren't alone. What separates you out from others is the courage and integrity with which you talk about it.
I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment. That is one of the things that makes me look up to you on this site.

Lots of love,

John

#132349 - 05/12/06 03:38 PM Re: Frustration...sort of
george of kent Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: delaware
Dear Bobbie,
I have a rueful smile on my face at the moment, because I recognize a lot of myself in your post.
--
Unfortunately, I also have concluded that the "either/or" paradigm is hopelessly inadequate to describe human sexuality. If I had a magic wand, I'd zap you to which ever end of the Kinsey scale you wished to inhabit. Then, perhaps, I'd zap myself. But, for now, my wand is in the repair shop and I guess we'll just have to tough it out awhile longer.
Wish I could be more help. Love ya!
george of kent

Someone must take a stand -- Coward, take my coward's hand"
Arthur Laurents

#132350 - 05/13/06 01:04 AM Re: Frustration...sort of
Russ2 Offline

Hi Bobby. Thanks for posting about your frustration. As survivors of childhood sexual abuse, it seems that understanding our true sexuality is often difficult, and may take a considerable amount of time.

Perhaps you've noticed upon a review of your post that the answers are right there, almost plain as day. You were able to say firmly that you are not bisexual. It seems that a heterosexual orientation may also be ruled out -- as evidenced by your ability to boldly articulate the same-sex attraction you feel, all the while saying nothing about being sexually attracted to women.

It is too bad that your therapist hasn't been more helpful with respect to this matter. Unfortunately, many therapists are quite risk-averse, and prefer to receive payment for simply their listening services. I am not your therapist, so I will tell you what I think is going on based upon what you've said so far.

Many gay men carry around a huge amount of internalized homophobia, often on a subconscious level. Such feelings are nothing more than fear. It is not at all unreasonable for a traditionally married gay man to be afraid of becoming sexually active with another man -- especially if he was sexually abused as a child.

A common misunderstanding about sexual orientation is that it is about behavior. Being gay has nothing to do with one's actions; it isn't about the gender of the person with whom we have sexual relations. Sexual orientation is different from sexual behavior because it refers to feelings and self-concept. Moreover, an individual may or may not express their sexual orientation in their behaviors.

I agree with your therapist that a continuum of sexuality exists, but you appear to know with a degree of clarity at which end you belong. I don't think you seem all that confused about it anymore -- couldn't this frustration be about something else?

Take care,
Russ

#132351 - 05/13/06 05:24 AM Re: Frustration...sort of
Derdlecar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ogden Utah, USA
Bobby,

You are not alone, me too. I am also confused. The best sex on the planet happens between me and my wife. Nobody could possibly have it better than we do. That being said, you would think that my thoughts would be only of her. When I fantasize however, it is about having sex with a man. There are men who turn my head. I have tried acting on my fantasies and have found that the reality is not near as good as the fantasy. Sex with my wife on the other hand just keeps getting better and better. There was a time when I could have written your post, it was me. Am I gay? Am I straight? Am I somewhere inbetween? Frankly my friend, at this point in my life I don't give a damn.

I love my wife and will never step out on her again. Our love live is fantastic. Do men still turn my head? Yes. Hope this helps.

Love ya

Darrel

#132352 - 05/13/06 05:48 AM Re: Frustration...sort of
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Bobby - I know there are many guys out there that struggle with and ask the questions with which you started this thread. I've met several and know of others. I too recommend the validity of the continum. I haven't met any truly 100% gay or straight guys. Most of us would feel comfortable with a label one way or the other but I don't think it could ever be that easy. BTW I agree that the physical sex act is the not the full criteria for defining gay/straight. My nephew is in a "gay marriage" for the last 7 years. As I observe him in that relationship, there is not a great difference relationally and role wise between two same-sex marriages than two opposite-sex marriages. The feelings I have for my wife, he has and expresses for his partner too. What I say about my wife, he says similarly about his life partner. NOW FOR FANTASIES! The hardest struggling guys with sexual orientation are those who have never acted on their homosexual impulses. They can only imagine gay sexual experiences in their minds eye. I doubt you imagine your fantasy guy farting, smelling bad at times, being unco-operative or having a headache...all that does occur in 'real life'. Those who have acted on their impulses usually have a more realistic idea of the pos and neg of this intimacy.
I hope this is useful for you!

Howard

#132353 - 05/14/06 11:52 AM Re: Frustration...sort of
sophiesdad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Bobby:

I loved your analogy of being the "Fred Astaire" tap dancing through the continuum! Move over, 'cause I need to join in the line dance!

As others have so eloquently said, you aren't alone and unfortunately, our society loves to put people into neat little boxes with labels on them. I think this is because we see the uncertainty of life and the seemingly disorganized universe and we have to put everything into order to make sense to us.

I, too, sometimes feel that I have properly labeled myself and am comfortable in my spot on the continuum and then life kicks me in the stomach. I come in contact with someone who makes me go weak in the knees and I find myself fumbling for words in a conversation. Then I spend the next 10 days beating myself up about my feelings and desires. The only word that defines it appropriately for me is "angst". I feel torn, confused, and angry that I have been put in this position in life.

I don't worry so much anymore about what other people think because my boss once told me something very wise - "Regardless of how you act or what you tell others, they will continue to judge you on their own terms and form their own ideas about who and what you are. So it is better to just be yourself rather than try to change others' opinions of you." This is so true and applies to everything in life - not just sexuality.

I have a wife who knows what I am about, knows my struggle and still accepts and loves me for who I am. Isn't it odd that I can't do the same for myself?

so, I guess that I'm saying that I understand that it's so much easier said than done when we all speak of accepting ourselves. It's all too easy to say - OK, accept the desires and fantasies for what they are. Even though you may not act on them, it's still difficult not to beat yourself up for thinking them in the first place, right?

I think that the one comfort that I personally can take in this whole thing is that I am not alone - I'm not a freak of nature. I realize that there are thousands of other men out there who feel just the same way. It makes that bitter pill just a little easier to swallow.

And as for those who have the "knowing winks"... my martial arts teacher once told me that in life there are eagles and monkeys. The world is full of the monkeys who stay stuck on the ground mired in their own little worlds. Those of us who aspire to become eagles are constantly being attacked and pulled down by the monkeys who wish to drag us back down to their world. Don't let those people drag you down... I have learned to say in the back of my mind, "If you only knew my deepest thoughts and desires - they would shock the hell out of you." And I smile right back at them while laughing uncontrollably inside.

I guess that some of this comes with age - I have no idea how old you are, but having almost reached half a century, I have decided that I don't give a **it what people think of me anymore - I am me - take it or leave it. I concentrate on those people who stand by my side and leave the others in the dust. I just need to be able to do the same acceptance of myself - maybe in the next 1/2 century!

Do I make any sense?

SD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.