Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
3 registered (GT13568, 2 invisible), 31 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447611 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#132153 - 10/02/05 01:29 PM Q. about my family, **Warning: unenlighted attitude: triggers**
delta.tetra Offline

Loc: Netherlands
|
********Warning: uneducated unenlighted attitude ahead: possible triggers*********

Hello,

My father is a post-op male-to-female Transexual.

He was operated 40 years ago when I was 3.

I decided many years ago not to give in to my desire to be a father of children, just in case transexualism is genetic and hereditary. I think a transexual child would probably have a hard and difficult life. I'm ignorant about this subject. I have some questions.

Is transexualism a genetic disease infecting a family across generations, or a mental illness affecting only a single individual?

I never once felt I was in the wrong body, so I don't think the illness passed to me, but are my potential children safe?

Do my potential future children have an increased danger of being born Transexual because of their Grandfather?

Thank you for reading this and please write down anything you know about my questions if you want.

#132154 - 10/02/05 02:59 PM Re: Q. about my family, **Warning: unenlighted attitude: triggers**
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

No one knows for sure whether LGBT tendencies are genetic or environmental. There is scientific evidence that it is, but like anything, there are people who claim that evidence is wrong. So, here is my forever non-professional opinion:

On my father's side of my family, from as far back as I know down to my generation, the family is completely straight with one exception, and the family that married into ours has LGBT people in it.

On my mother's side of the family from my grandmother on down, there is strong evidence of a genetic link:

- my grandmother was gay
- my aunt was gay
- my other 'aunt' is a m->f transgendered woman
- my mom shows bisexual tendencies
- my sister is gay
- I am gay

So, and keep in mind this is completely my observation, I would say that LGBT genetic tendencies are passed down from the female side of the family, not the male.

I would be interested in hearing anyone else's input on this to see if the theory is consistent.

#132155 - 10/02/05 09:53 PM Re: Q. about my family, **Warning: unenlighted attitude: triggers**
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

You guys are going to have to wait for the experts on this one. Have either one of you googled this subject? You could probably read on this subject for days if you did. Give it a whirl and let us know what you come up with.

David

#132156 - 10/02/05 10:18 PM Re: Q. about my family, **Warning: unenlighted attitude: triggers**
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

David,

I'll do that. However, research and such can be massaged to say whatever the sponsor wants it to say.

I was hoping to hear from people here if they are comfortable with a "Dad's side no, Mom's side yes" type of answer. I gave my details to kick it off, but I certainly don't expect anyone else to give the same amount of detail.

#132157 - 10/03/05 03:13 PM Re: Q. about my family, **Warning: unenlighted attitude: triggers**
delta.tetra Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Amazing result!

David and Dewey thank you both for your responses. You were helping me up a step tonight!

Fascinating detailed posts and right to the point.

The first sentence I read from Dewey's post started a burning bright reaction in me and I turned the PC off immediately.

I had read 'LGBT' and I yelled out angrily inside: There IT is again being mixed in with those other unconnected things! Just like 'they' always do!

(They = internet folks. I have been trying to find information about T, on internet for years, finding many sites open to LGBT but dominated by LG and no T. Frustration.)

But I felt bad, it was brother Dewey saying 'LGBT' to me and not some random web page I could angrily ignore for ever, the problem had to be fixed. Soon I realised I must answer this unexpected question:

Why do I believe that T doesn't mix with LGB while the rest of the world clearly does?

I yelled the Answer: Only because my Transexual father abused me! I've always secretly believed that T's fits with LGB and the rest of the human race, EXCEPT my perp!

There was an illogicality I hadn't faced. If you know you are right about something simple, and everyone else is wrong, where do you start? I couldn't bury it again like before. I had to admit I was wrong!

I now believe the perp sexually abusing me might have NOTHING to do with his T background. I NOW SEE that from my viewpoint the two things can be seperated, the abuse and the perp's T'ism. I am now uninterested in his T motivation or reasons for abuse, because I see the motivation had no direct effect on me.

The wicked actions did the damage, not the perp's motive. Understanding the perp's internal world is not neccessarily required for Recovery.

I know I have been abused and I will continue to work on recovering from that.

My proper inside truth always has been, I'm OK about LGBT people, I'm not scared and anyway its all interesting and Natural. Just treat everyone with respect and love and we'll all be OK.

I never 'feared' for my children that might have been LGB. I'd love them whatever. Today the fear that my possible T children would have had a hard life seems old and outdated thinking.

If I knew that my child was thinking about being LGB or T I'd feel proud I had a family where my children could talk to me about whatever they want!

#132158 - 10/03/05 03:53 PM Re: Q. about my family, **Warning: unenlighted attitude: triggers**
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Delta,

I'm happy that you have found an answer you have been looking for, and I'm happy I could help. \:\)

#132159 - 10/19/05 02:47 PM Re: Q. about my family, **Warning: unenlighted attitude: triggers**
fozzy_bear Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
To be honest, yes my mothers side has more issues in this area. I have 2 cousind that are gay. However, you can't conclude that is genetic and not environmental. Something could have happened XXX number of years ago which in turn was stored into a female member of your family and passed on to her daughters through learned behavior causing their sons to be gay. Did I explain that well enough? I have been picking that one apart myself for a while.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.