Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
alan's marc (43), Opal (59)
Who's Online
3 registered (Cthulhu, Taylor238, 1 invisible), 77 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62528 Topics
438168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#129598 - 11/04/04 04:11 AM retreats
Mickey Offline

Loc: California
I have been reading a lot about retreats, and Ihave two questions:
1. What happens on these retreats and how does they affected you?
2. How do I fin out about when and where a retreat will take place?

#129600 - 11/04/04 03:43 PM Re: retreats
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Mickey,

Keep your eye on the home page to see if there are up-coming retreats.

As far as attending goes, I can’t say enough for the retreats; they have taken years off my recovery.

What happens is you meet a whole bunch of guys that are just as nervous as you are. Everyone introduces themselves then the safety ground rules are set so that everyone can be comfortable knowing their boundaries won’t be breached.

There are large group exorcises that help you work through issues and there are smaller groups where you meet to discuss your story and do other exercises. The whole thing is done in a safe environment where you are truly not alone.

It is sort of like going on a roller coaster… you’re frightened and nervous going in, while you’re on you go “COOOLLL!” followed by some “AAAAHHHHHHH” and “OH SHIIIIT!” Then some “WOO-HOOO”’s

…And when you come off, you say “Boy that was GREAT! I want to go again!”

Take care,

#129601 - 11/04/04 08:22 PM Re: retreats
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Mickey,

Those guys describe it very, very well, and still fall short. So will I. (No offense, guys, but you know it has to be experienced.)

It's a challenge. It's a stretch. It's painful. It's fun. It's work. It's wonderful. It's a blessing. It's social. It's private. It's an end, and a beginning.

If you get the chance, take it.

Thanks,

Joe

#129602 - 11/04/04 10:23 PM Re: retreats
bda Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina
Mickey,

I just got back from a retreat, too. I stumbled across the information on the webpage. keep watching the event listings.

I've been in recovery for about 12 years, but it was the first time I've ever done anything that so community/connection oriented. It was scary and hard, but it was also one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.

I was feeling really stuck, but couldn't put my finger on what I was looking for. The chance to be in a community of other survivors was incredibly affirming. I feel more gorunded than I have in ages.

It's truly safe space. We came to agreements about what each of us needed to feel safe the first night. After that, it's just about showing up. It's a diverse group with diverse gifts -- and the facilitators were amazing.

I'd go again in a heartbeat!
Peace on the journey,
Brian

#129603 - 11/05/04 06:41 PM Re: retreats
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Joe is right, we all describe them well and still fall short...

They are... wonderful.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.