Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63359 Topics
443052 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#129565 - 10/28/04 02:58 PM The old fashioned way ?
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
I was talking to another Survivor the other day and we got to talking about his favorite subject - the way he's coped through ( mainly ) his own strength and will power.

Some people might say the guy's a bit crazy, but he's no crazier than many other people I know, he lives his life as he wishes to live it and I don't think he'd be much different if he had gone through all the 'modern' therapies etc.

He's somewhere about 60yo, and was abused within his family. From those days on he's developed a "fuck it!" attitude and dug deep into his personal reserves and strengths and, in his words, "figured it out for myself"

What he says is that he does his own butt kicking, he uses his will power to change the way he behaved and thought.
His theory is, that because today we live in societies that have more access to 'help' through therapy, self help groups, web sites like this, books and all manner of other things we get lazy and begin to rely on others instead of doing the hard work ourselves.

I tend to disagree with him, although I can understand his point that 'help' wasn't so available 40 years ago.
It's always a good argument to have over a beer, and one we've argued about many times.

I just thought I'd see if you guys had any thoughts on how 'we' might deal with our situations without the 'help' ?

Dave

#129566 - 10/28/04 03:20 PM Re: The old fashioned way ?
Archnut Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Help = oblivion

Archnut

#129567 - 10/28/04 03:27 PM Re: The old fashioned way ?
Andrew Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Hi Dave, I can relate to your friend's way of thinking to a certain degree. I think there is a time when you just have to, as they would say on my son's hockey team, "suck it up buttercup". But I temper that by adding that maybe a more balanced approach is best i.e. looking for and receiving support and also digging deep to find the strength and answers within yourself. The latter is often missing from some people who IMHO might best be described as professional victims, leaping from one crisis to another and laying the blame on SA. Peace, Andrew

#129568 - 10/28/04 04:28 PM Re: The old fashioned way ?
estuardo Offline

Loc: ohio
My two cents,

40 years ago, we didn't have the technology, and "post-modern christanity" we experience today.

Alvin Toffler's book "The Third Wave", writen in the early '80's, predicted that, as a society with advanced technology, computers in every home, etc., we would become more reclusive, independent, and more 'lonely' people. We have in essence, built walls, and then do things like this in order to communicate with each other, to the point where we would rather have this, than a face to face conversation.

It's become almost taboo to talk with somebody about your problems, unless it's within the confines of a 'group-therapy' session. What was easy to do back a couple of generations ago, has become difficult. People had a better sense of belonging in their 'community'.

#129569 - 10/28/04 04:53 PM Re: The old fashioned way ?
scarman Offline

Loc: London On Canada
interesting...

My opinion on this can very depending on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I feel as though I can justify anything......

I feel sorry for the people struggling years ago to have to deal with these things on their own. Think back, for years, as many of you have stated, I held it all inside. I went about life as if "it" didn't happen. I'm guessing that is what it must have been like before help was available. Until I reached out for help, I didn't realize how being sexually abused by my highschool coach had affected my personality. From that day on I was,"different". Not everyone noticed. Until my first wife left me, I didn't tell a soul. After my next relationship failed, I started digging deep into why...what was,"wrong" with me. A couple of years and alot of time in court, another failed relationship, some time in group and individual therapy and I'm realizing it wasn't me. It was how I was dealing with, or not dealing with the abuse. Yes, I've used the,"fuck it" attitude plenty of times. But it doesn't seem to work for me. This is the easy way, the lazy way, the way to go when I don't have the energy to deal with it. It just seems to push everyone away. I've come to realize, I don't want to push anyone away. I'm very thankful for the help I've received. And I'm glad to know that it's available as needed. Because I know at some point I'll need it again.

Thanks for the post, it's nice to reflect on who we are, and how we've shaped our lives.

Here is another twist. What do you guys think of this possibilty? Is there a link betweeen the lact of support/help for victims of SA years ago, and the continuing abuse that was passed from generation to generation? I can only hope that the current support we have will help put a stop to this patern.

shawn

#129570 - 10/28/04 05:44 PM Re: The old fashioned way ?
Brayton Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis
Being 50 years old I guess I must have experienced some or a lot of the same social changes your friend has. Given that, I find it hard to believe that he thinks that accepting an offer of help is being lazy or that to work with other guys on a job that needs doing is weakness.

As far as I can tell, only a few years ago male CSA wasn't even acknowledged, much less specifically treated. The same goes for books written, support groups formed, websites founded, and etc.

Guys my age had no choice but to draw on whatever we could find within ourselves to keep on going. It's hard for me to define except to say that it included sheer gut strength, stubborness, and lots and lots of anger.

I have seen therapists off and on for over 30 years and, I can tell you, until the last several years it was all BS.

I suppose the time I spent as a kid incarcerated in a mental ward kept me from killing myself but that's the only thing it did.

I had to find ways, on my own, to deal with depression. The so-called experts were dumbasses about it. One psychiatrist just sat and grinned at me for an hour every day.

I survived that sick place, its secrets, its incompetencies, its cruelty, its padded cell, its 'behavior modification' therapies, and etc.

I survived alcoholism and stopped drinking. I know that detox, its padded cell (another one!) and chronic alcoholics gave me a good slap in the face.

It certainly wasn't the few AA meetings I could stand going to. I have nothing against 12-step programs, they just don't work for me and so have had to figure out something that does work.

I had a hard time keeping down a job but, of course, I kept trying. I was unemployed from time to time but then each time found some kind of job again.

I tried going to college, stayed for a year, couldn't handle more but, hey, at least I tried.

I tried and failed at relationships.

I made enemies, lost friends, alienated family members, mismanaged money, got into debt, got out again, and then in again. I believed in things, lost faith, found other things to believe in and on and on and on.

I guess you could say I figured things out for myself. I can't think what else I would've done except died.

What does anyone do without therapy, support groups, this website? Any one of us who survives would do the same thing we already do between therapy sessions, between group meetings, and when we aren't or can't be here on this site. We figure it out.

It is the same thing that guys do who don't have access to therapy or who have it cut off after a few weeks or months or who don't have access to support groups.

Practically all the crap I had to deal with for all those years was due to the fact that male CSA was not acknowledged. As that brings with it effective therapy which is ever (I hope) more widely available, and real support from other guys I say to all that, yeah! finally!

Even the guys who feel most hopeless use guts every day to get through, they just aren't able yet to give themselves credit for that. I'm glad if they have available the kind of support I would have been grateful for years ago. Thank G-d for it!

#129571 - 10/28/04 05:51 PM Re: The old fashioned way ?
estuardo Offline

Loc: ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by scarman:
Here is another twist. What do you guys think of this possibilty? Is there a link betweeen the lact of support/help for victims of SA years ago, and the continuing abuse that was passed from generation to generation? I can only hope that the current support we have will help put a stop to this patern.
Scarman,

I believe this issue has always been a taboo topic. Naturally, people want to understand this, but the question becomes, for what purpose? It's being protrayed on TV as some sort of 'right of passage'. In America, on ABC a new series "Desperate Housewives" has a character in her mid 30's who has a teenage boy "lover". Since the series is new, we won't know how they will play out his or her role, but the message is clear, what's good for the goose... If the roles were reversed (older man, teenage girl), there would be up-roar!

My point is, you are right, as long as we don't REALLY talk about the ramifications of the damage done, then society can justify it's apathy, (and even poke fun at it)

#129572 - 10/28/04 06:18 PM Re: The old fashioned way ?
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
There have been many times in my life, when I neve thought I would ever get over this without help.

I never got the help, because I never knew where to even start looking, so I just lived on with it, and tried to live a normal life. It doesn't work quite that way, but I have survived the worst.

I have done a lot of work on me, and I will continue to do so, well into the future.

I think, if I got help now, then I would be looking for the miracles, we know are never there. So I just keep going.

This site has given me a terrific insight into the "dynamics of effect", I now know, I am not nuts, but just conditioned by past experiences. I can now fit some of it together and make sense of it all. ;\)

ste

#129573 - 10/28/04 10:05 PM Re: The old fashioned way ?
Dan88 Offline

Loc: DC
I think your friend is trying to make a distinction where one doesn't exist, probably to prove he's tougher than other people. At the end of the day, we all go it alone and we all get help -- just not necessarily from a therapist.

I've taken a ton of drugs, been a womanizer, been a work-a-holic, exercised compulsively, used alcohol, read, gone to therapy, and networked at sites like this and done a boatload of other shit all in an effort to keep the boat on course. And you can classify it all as "getting help" in as much as it kept me going.

But there was certainly nothing easier about going to therapy and "getting help" that way compared to "getting help" from any of the other means I used. I lost my job because I went for therapy. All that other shit never cost me that. So which was the harder thing to do?

#129574 - 10/29/04 10:08 PM Re: The old fashioned way ?
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
If I'd never got help/support, I would never have written the statement that I did recently. Now he is known in the community whether he comes to trial or not. I'm pleased that I stopped trying to work it out by myself. The children in our town are a lot safer now.

best wishes....Rik

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.