Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
betterdays (29), ChevyMan76 (46), cuda (48), swartzhund (42), wdf9 (70)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 71 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62516 Topics
438108 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#129557 - 10/29/04 11:05 PM Re: Mental illnesses
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Ste
Quote:
I probably have a different personality for each day of the week, but as long as we all agree, we get on so well with each other.
I'm lucky enough to work with my best friend, I've known him for about 35 years and we've worked together for 26 of them. We understand each other and have no secrets.

On Tuesday I climbed into the drivers seat of the van and Paul sat alongside me and off we went. 20 min's later I'd barely said a word, and he said "having a quiet day today then?" "yes, but it's no great problem" I told him.
So he turned the radio on and we carried on.

Normally we don't shut up at all, but we've both had hard times and know that some days all we want is peace and quiet.
The art is, knowing and living with our different personalities and moods.

Dave

#129558 - 10/29/04 11:27 PM Re: Mental illnesses
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Dave,

is it not the greatest friendship in the World, when someone just accepts you because they know what you go through, and never question you.

They accept you. They know the silence, they know just how to make you feel, so good, pushing all the right buttons to make friendship seem so good.

They are real friends for life,

ste

#129559 - 10/31/04 12:22 AM Re: Mental illnesses
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
ste
Oh yes!!

Dave \:D

#129560 - 11/05/04 06:57 PM Re: Mental illnesses
Brayton Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis
Are diagnoses pitfalls that misdirect us?

I think it is possible to get hung up on the words and what we think they mean.

But, like any labels, they are inadequate, as if a huge group of people carried no individual character traits among them.

A better diagnoses label, if I must have one, would be, PTSDasperBrett.

The work stands apart from the label, as it must. Each journey towards feeling better is deeply personal and indefinable, at least with words.

And, yes, everyone is crazy, as we must be. In such a world as this how could it be otherwise?

#129561 - 11/08/04 06:48 PM Re: Mental illnesses
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Yes, psychology, like many other things, is based on a sliding scale (more accurately, a bell shaped curve). It all centers on whatever context you are placed at on that scale. It is literally impossible for anybody except you to be in that exact same context. Only you have lived your life. Others may attempt to place themselves in similar positions for understanding, but it will never be exact.

#129562 - 11/09/04 03:51 PM Re: Mental illnesses
dwf Offline
Moderator/BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
A somewhat trite, but very true remark about

"normal"

Quote:
Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.
Happy laundry!

Thanks,

-Tony Joe White

#129563 - 11/27/04 01:03 AM Re: Mental illnesses

Loc: UK

#129564 - 12/06/04 05:57 PM Re: Mental illnesses
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
It is interesting conversation here. I know that specific diagnosing is required for such things as insurance payments and such. But truly, I do not like any of the labels used, pTSD, depression, bipolar, any of that. But I am not one of these people who have insatiable need to label things. I guess for some people, it is a relief, or a sense of identity, to have some label on them. But even with non-abuse, non-mental illness related things, I do not care. Sexual labels. Gay, straight, bisexual. Again, I don't care. Unless I am the other person hoping to be involved in the relations, it has nothing to do with me, and no interest to me. You can be gay or bisexual and be, in my mind, a jackass. You can be 'straight' and be same thing. Like I said, I guess it gives some people some sense of comfort, to have this name that describes them. I just think that the simplest of human beings is to complex for a label of any sort.

leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.