Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
5 registered (Aptrick, VASurvivor, 3 invisible), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63419 Topics
443375 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#129532 - 11/02/04 05:12 PM Re: Where'd they go wrong?
Pollyanna Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Missouri
Y'know thinking about this, I've known of several abusers, and none of them...NONE of them...have ever been "sorry" or even acknowledged that they have caused any harm. It's been more like an "oh well" attitude, one of some kind of warped justification, or just plain "evil". The ones who don't get caught seem to get worse as time goes on, not better.

I knew one mother, who upon discovering her daughter had been abused, stuck up for the abuser saying "She's young..she'll forget about it." What is wrong with this picture? Luckily, the authorities didn't see it that way.

Feel sorry for them? Nope. Not the ones I have known about. Nobody forced them. They had a choice. I agree with Mikey and Mike NY. It's just not even remotely acceptable in any way shape or form, and doesn't deserve special anything. What DO we do with a rabid animal? Get it out of circulation, and remember how dangerous it is...feeling sorry for it is clearly, definitely fatal.

A tidbit of wisdom from my mother: "Your rights end where someone else's begin". When someone violates the rights of another, they forfeit their own.

Lynn

Anne Lamott

#129533 - 11/02/04 07:15 PM Re: Where'd they go wrong?
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Peter,

I think it helps to make a distinction between having compassion and forgiveness, and wanting to understand.

In my opinion-- to label a perp a "monster" and close the book on them, keeps us from doing either of those-- understanding, or having compassion.

You can ask why and want to know why without giving up any of the hate and fear, but it does require giving up some of the "distance" between us and them-- seeing them as more than monsters, as more than their deed, as people with histories and complicated drives. Maybe some people don't want to do that because it looks too much like compassion and forgiveness.

For me it IS important to know why some do what they do, for the very reason that I don't want to be like them. I want to have those "whys" because I want to know the difference between Us and Them. Even, maybe especially, if it is not that big of a difference.

#129534 - 11/03/04 12:04 AM Re: Where'd they go wrong?
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
I've got one of those old fasioned school photographs, the sort with the whole 150 kids lined up with the small ones sat on the ground at thwe front and the big ones balancing on chairs at the back. The staff are sat in the middle looking suitably 'stern'.

I'm on the second row at the one end, aged 12.
Standing right behind me is No1 abuser, No2 is three people to my right, and the teacher who abused me is sat alongside the headmaster who didn't believe me.

If I showed you the picture, you would never pick any of them out.
Scary thought......

Dave

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.